Powered by Outside

On bike storage


Author Message
Posted: Jul 5, 2025 at 4:48 Quote
Just back to mountain biking after a long................ layoff. I've got my bike sorted as far as storing tools, water, spares etc. but I cannot find anywhere to keep my car keys, wallet and phone. Don't fancy trouser pockets as they could get damaged and/or damage me. I also do want anything on my back for the short rides I mainly do e.g. DH's at FOD. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Al

Posted: Jul 5, 2025 at 8:12 Quote
How about a small hip pack? I’ve used one for park days and short rides and it works well for me.

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2025 at 8:34 Quote
Keys go in a magnet box under the car, id is zipped into a pocket, and phone goes in the small of back pocket in my leatt pants.

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 5, 2025 at 13:45 Quote
All of my keys are separately attached to a carabiner. Car key comes off and goes in my pocket or with a spare tube. The rest all gets locked in the car. Though I do usually bring my phone, in a pocket or mounted on my stem, just in case I break myself or get stupidly lost. If I think I might need money, maybe some cash in a pocket, but I can pay with my phone most places.

Posted: Aug 5, 2025 at 16:46 Quote
Coming from offroad motorcycles I can recommend Wolfmanluggage.com. He started making bicycle luggage and it's extremely nice. Hand stitched in Colorado. Slightly padded to give shape and support and safety for a phone. Held on with rok straps and a loop around the stem. It does not flop around at all. Phone, wallet, keys, tool bag. Love it!
<Deleted photo>

Posted: Aug 28, 2025 at 9:29 Quote
Dont understand why theres a slow uptake on a proper thought out sollution
to this, a strap on lump that relies on a strap or two for holding to a frame tube just
seems lazy or at best a hack.

Am using a flat panel that wraps around both the top and down tube at the head tube juction,
this gives approx 5" x 4" of surface area on both sides of the frame and a 2" x 5" strip on the top of the frame
to then add a pocket, pouch etc, the panel acts as a sort of fixing base for whatever you want to add
to it, the panel is securely mounted to the frame via a wrap around method with 2 velcro straps
feeding through a tri glide or square ring and then back on themselves and holding on with velcro
which gives a good tension and hold,
the panel is backed with a rubber mesh material that grips and holds from rotaion or vibration
whilst adding padding which protects the frame should you carry a leatherman or metal items
and theres no slopping around due to the larger area of hold, unlike a strap holding an item to a
singular frame tube.

Various mounting options via nylon 1 1/4" loops and loop velcro panels, add some shock cord by feeding
through the nylon loops in a criss cross fasion and you can add all manner of things how you want to suit your cargo,
sure theres room for improvement but so far this works well for my needs.

FL
Posted: Aug 28, 2025 at 12:45 Quote
https://peatys.co.uk/products/holdfast-trail-tool-wrap

Is the best thing I’ve found to carry a few bits and pieces while I’m riding. I usually store a multi tool, puncture tool and mini electric pump in mine.

Posted: Sep 25, 2025 at 5:05 Quote
I haven't tried the peatys brand, but tool rolls are great solution for carrying small things on your bike with out a pack. Regardless of your bike setup, you can stow your effects securely and out of the way. Just add some tape to the intended area to avoid paint abrasion.

Heywood165 wrote:
https://peatys.co.uk/products/holdfast-trail-tool-wrap

Is the best thing I’ve found to carry a few bits and pieces while I’m riding. I usually store a multi tool, puncture tool and mini electric pump in mine.

O+
Posted: Sep 25, 2025 at 14:00 Quote
Pretty much the same here car key in the pocket and the rest stays locked in the car. Phone always comes with me for maps or just in case, and maybe a bit of cash if I know I’ll stop somewhere. Simple setup and nothing rattling around on the bike.

  • Previous Page
  • Next Page

 


Copyright © 2000 - 2026. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014112
Mobile Version of Website