PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Fox talas 36 RC2
Posted: Aug 10, 2010 at 19:48 Quote
voltagerider wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:
voltagerider wrote:

Yes.

word

but I just noticed you have talas RC2... You dont like it??

is the van rc2 a good fork - yes
do i like my talas rc2 - yes

i prefer air forks because i can adjust/set spring strength better than a coil even if i miss out that little bit of initial small bump compliance.

Posted: Dec 3, 2010 at 18:43 Quote
Anyone know any pros and cons between the talas 36 n a lyrik uturn.

Posted: Dec 4, 2010 at 2:30 Quote
i would choose talas 36 over lyrik uturn because from what i heard RS axle sucks harrd. in time it gets loose. mine friend have domain he said that the worst thing about it is that quikrelease axle. i have talas 36 and its superb, super light, works good, travel ajustment system works just superb, and fox quick release works just awesome. but still i now would like to have 55rc3, but only because i am kinda fan of marzocchi and their new 2011 model looks just f*ckin amazing.

Posted: Dec 4, 2010 at 2:38 Quote
i've never had any problems with a rock shox maxle, if you use it right it will never come loose

Posted: Dec 4, 2010 at 6:01 Quote
nfa2005 wrote:

i've had both (pike uturn). prefer talas as it is much faster to adjust travel, can do it on the fly. u-turn is a tedious affair.

prefer the maxel system as its faster/simpler to get wheel on and off

like 36s lo and hi speed compression better as its set and forget, while with motion control you're turning the flood gate on and off all the time

Posted: Dec 4, 2010 at 8:14 Quote
I would not call "coil u-turn" a true travel adjustment system (for use whilst riding) but more of a geometry adjustment for your bike, to set the fork at a particular length

both my bikes have adjustable forks

1 bike has Rockshox coil u-turn, I rarely used it as you cannot adjust it whilst riding

1 bike has Fox Talas, I used it constantly, and could adjust travel whilst riding

Posted: Dec 4, 2010 at 9:43 Quote
nfa2005 wrote:

I just love my 36 talas, get it!

Posted: Dec 4, 2010 at 10:24 Quote
Sweet thanks for the input, ya I'm likein the talas much better. I just got the uturn on a bike but am switching out the fork to my talas. Don't know what to do with the uturn I guess sell it. What would be a good price on a uturn? I put it up for 375 or 350. Am I low balling my self?

Posted: Dec 4, 2010 at 10:58 Quote
nfa2005 wrote:
Sweet thanks for the input, ya I'm likein the talas much better. I just got the uturn on a bike but am switching out the fork to my talas. Don't know what to do with the uturn I guess sell it. What would be a good price on a uturn? I put it up for 375 or 350. Am I low balling my self?

yeah, thats a bit low lol.

Posted: Dec 4, 2010 at 11:48 Quote
I recently converted my 36 Talas RC2 into a 36 Float RC2 by buying the Float air spring and associated parts from the Fox distrib. here in the UK and did the work myself in our workshop - took 20 minutes!

its totally transformed my bike - I was a fan of the Talas (I owned a 2009 and 2010) until I tried a 36 Float and could not live with my Talas any more

no matter how much servicing and tweaking I did to my Talas, it lacked small bump sensitivity (it took an impact to get the fork moving) and never felt like I could get the air spring to the right pressure to suit all 3 travel settings or even the right sag (with the fork being initially so sticky), the front wheel tended to slide out on wet ground and especially wet roots

it also meant my bike's rear suspension (Devinci Hectik - 4 bar FSR with Fox RP23 XV BV) was working overtime to compensate for the sticky fork, meaning I got too much sag on the rear and it was over active

with the Float, I can get the fork moving just by touching the bars whilst sat down!

the difference in small bump sensitivity and therefore front wheel traction on rough ground is night and day...

its easy to setup sag, and the air spring feels consistent throughout the travel range

most importantly, I now have a great front / rear suspension balance and my bike feels less over active and more planted whilst pedalling or braking

Posted: Dec 4, 2010 at 11:51 Quote
I got my float R even more smooth now, changed air piston chamber size and stage 4 cartridge, i run 30-35ish psi now on spring side.

So responsive.

Posted: Dec 4, 2010 at 12:59 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
I recently converted my 36 Talas RC2 into a 36 Float RC2 by buying the Float air spring and associated parts from the Fox distrib. here in the UK and did the work myself in our workshop - took 20 minutes!

its totally transformed my bike - I was a fan of the Talas (I owned a 2009 and 2010) until I tried a 36 Float and could not live with my Talas any more

no matter how much servicing and tweaking I did to my Talas, it lacked small bump sensitivity (it took an impact to get the fork moving) and never felt like I could get the air spring to the right pressure to suit all 3 travel settings or even the right sag (with the fork being initially so sticky), the front wheel tended to slide out on wet ground and especially wet roots

it also meant my bike's rear suspension (Devinci Hectik - 4 bar FSR with Fox RP23 XV BV) was working overtime to compensate for the sticky fork, meaning I got too much sag on the rear and it was over active

with the Float, I can get the fork moving just by touching the bars whilst sat down!

the difference in small bump sensitivity and therefore front wheel traction on rough ground is night and day...

its easy to setup sag, and the air spring feels consistent throughout the travel range

most importantly, I now have a great front / rear suspension balance and my bike feels less over active and more planted whilst pedalling or braking

I have both talas and float and cant say their is that much of difference in small bumps... Just a small one.

Posted: Dec 5, 2010 at 10:32 Quote
do you have 36 Float and 36 Talas?

or 36 Float and 32 Talas?

there is a very marked difference between the Float and Talas on the 36 chassis...I spoken to the UK Fox distributor (Mojo UK) who have years of experience servicing and tuning Fox forks / shocks and they confirmed my suspicions

after doing my Talas to Float conversion on my 36 I asked my buddy to try my bike (he has exactly the same frame - Devinci Hectik - and 36 Talas fork as I originally had)

we did back to back stationary "sag" comparisons between our bikes with my 36 Float and his 36 Talas, we could get my fork to move whilst sat on the saddle just by moving a little on the bike - his Talas would not move unless you leant forward and pushed your body weight on the handlebar to break the stiction and start the fork moving

since this test, he had me do the conversion on his fork and has been raving about the difference in control and wheel grip on the trails

on the 32 chassis its not anywhere as noticeable

Posted: Dec 5, 2010 at 10:38 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
do you have 36 Float and 36 Talas?

or 36 Float and 32 Talas?

there is a very marked difference between the Float and Talas on the 36 chassis...I spoken to the UK Fox distributor (Mojo UK) who have years of experience servicing and tuning Fox forks / shocks and they confirmed my suspicions

after doing my Talas to Float conversion on my 36 I asked my buddy to try my bike (he has exactly the same frame - Devinci Hectik - and 36 Talas fork as I originally had)

we did back to back stationary "sag" comparisons between our bikes with my 36 Float and his 36 Talas, we could get my fork to move whilst sat on the saddle just by moving a little on the bike - his Talas would not move unless you leant forward and pushed your body weight on the handlebar to break the stiction and start the fork moving

since this test, he had me do the conversion on his fork and has been raving about the difference in control and wheel grip on the trails

on the 32 chassis its not anywhere as noticeable

08 36 float RC2 and 09 36 talas RC2... I wouldnt say there is a BIG difference but it still noticiable.

Posted: Dec 5, 2010 at 11:11 Quote
have you regularly serviced your 08 36 Float?

(I service my Fox forks every 20-30 hours using Fox fluids)

if not regularly serviced the forks will get kinda sticky would which definitely negate the difference in small bump sensitivity between Float and Talas

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012239
Mobile Version of Website