ironhorse sunday fox 40 or boxxer

PB Forum :: Downhill
ironhorse sunday fox 40 or boxxer
Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 16:46 Quote
Muttley wrote:
Ive ridden both forks down several tracks, and myself own the lower end model of the boxxer, the Race. so here it goes:

the boxxer WC:

Start with weight, at just above 6 pounds its bloody light for a downhill fork, running the solair cart and skinny 32mm stanchions, with magnesium alloy cast lowers.
the air spring is extremel light, but is know to cause issues with reliability, and has to be serviced regularly ( do my races every 3-4 weeks, WC's should be done a bit more than that) which means an oil re-lube in the lowers, clean out the seals etc, a 30minute job. having talked t Tim Flooks (possibly the leading MTb Suspension Guru) about upgrading my own forks to WC's, he stated that the air cartridge, with its change in chracteristics as it heats up, seriously reduces the ffectiveness of the blackbox high speed compression unit built into the team and wrorld cups MoCo sticks.
possibly the bst account of this was after several runs down fort william, an unkwon rider could barely tough his WC stanchions as they had heated so much due to the solair cart.

the verdict on the WC's is yeah, go ahead get them,but be ready for a massive amount of servicing very regularly, and the best bet for us racers is the team model, due to its far higher reliablity. the fact is several rockshox riders run Custom Ti springs in team models put into WC lowers, as the trade off for the lack of damping haflway down a WC course can mean 1st place or not even being on the podium.

The Fox 40RC2:
my riding buddy runs these, so i ride them very often down a vareity of tracks, the first thing you notice after riding a boxxer is the supreme stiffness, and the feeling of security you get from them. you feel like youve got a girder atachd to your bike protecting you.
the second thing is the control, the damping is FAR easier to adjust than on the bnoxxer, with the boxxers HSC being internally adjusted, whereas all adjustments on the 40 ar external. this means you can change the settings to adjust to the course easily, a massive bonus.
they weigh roughly the same as aoil boxxer, at around 6.7-6.8lb's. a fair weight considering their massive size.
now stop, get off the bike, take off your gloves and just flick the stanchions and lowers, youl will hear that they are immensley thin compared to boxxers, and above that the 888. having seen photos of lowers broken open on the rock garden at Dunkeld(a notoriously rocky british track) make sure you buy them brand new as the thin lowers can cause issues. these forks also mean you need to look after them well, monthly oil changes are a necessity.

So basically, if your after a fork that you will need dialled in for you, but will be fantastic once fully tuned, but can cause reliablity issues with the air cartridge meaning th better otpion is to havea fully tuned Team Model, go for the boxxer.

though i hate to say it, the Fox 40 is suprerior in the case, it has full external adjustments, it is alot stiffer than the boxxer, requires the same amoun t of care but is a beatifally plush fork, though its downfall is the weaker body of the fork.

Amen brother, the best most well informed post on here.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 16:49 Quote
billfromthehill wrote:
Muttley wrote:
Ive ridden both forks down several tracks, and myself own the lower end model of the boxxer, the Race. so here it goes:

the boxxer WC:

Start with weight, at just above 6 pounds its bloody light for a downhill fork, running the solair cart and skinny 32mm stanchions, with magnesium alloy cast lowers.
the air spring is extremel light, but is know to cause issues with reliability, and has to be serviced regularly ( do my races every 3-4 weeks, WC's should be done a bit more than that) which means an oil re-lube in the lowers, clean out the seals etc, a 30minute job. having talked t Tim Flooks (possibly the leading MTb Suspension Guru) about upgrading my own forks to WC's, he stated that the air cartridge, with its change in chracteristics as it heats up, seriously reduces the ffectiveness of the blackbox high speed compression unit built into the team and wrorld cups MoCo sticks.
possibly the bst account of this was after several runs down fort william, an unkwon rider could barely tough his WC stanchions as they had heated so much due to the solair cart.

the verdict on the WC's is yeah, go ahead get them,but be ready for a massive amount of servicing very regularly, and the best bet for us racers is the team model, due to its far higher reliablity. the fact is several rockshox riders run Custom Ti springs in team models put into WC lowers, as the trade off for the lack of damping haflway down a WC course can mean 1st place or not even being on the podium.

The Fox 40RC2:
my riding buddy runs these, so i ride them very often down a vareity of tracks, the first thing you notice after riding a boxxer is the supreme stiffness, and the feeling of security you get from them. you feel like youve got a girder atachd to your bike protecting you.
the second thing is the control, the damping is FAR easier to adjust than on the bnoxxer, with the boxxers HSC being internally adjusted, whereas all adjustments on the 40 ar external. this means you can change the settings to adjust to the course easily, a massive bonus.
they weigh roughly the same as aoil boxxer, at around 6.7-6.8lb's. a fair weight considering their massive size.
now stop, get off the bike, take off your gloves and just flick the stanchions and lowers, youl will hear that they are immensley thin compared to boxxers, and above that the 888. having seen photos of lowers broken open on the rock garden at Dunkeld(a notoriously rocky british track) make sure you buy them brand new as the thin lowers can cause issues. these forks also mean you need to look after them well, monthly oil changes are a necessity.

So basically, if your after a fork that you will need dialled in for you, but will be fantastic once fully tuned, but can cause reliablity issues with the air cartridge meaning th better otpion is to havea fully tuned Team Model, go for the boxxer.

though i hate to say it, the Fox 40 is suprerior in the case, it has full external adjustments, it is alot stiffer than the boxxer, requires the same amoun t of care but is a beatifally plush fork, though its downfall is the weaker body of the fork.

Amen brother, the best most well informed post on here.

True dat. IMHO a 40 would look gross on a sunday, but thats only important to some people i would personally ride the 40 because i think they feel better and on the newer models the lowers are a uniform width all the way down so that should prevent the problems that people have had with the lowers cracking. The 40 is also a little less mantainance.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 17:10 Quote
Everyone who claims boxxers are weak, have reliability issues or break often has been listening to too much hearsay. As long as they are cared for well there are very few issues. I have been running a Boxxer WC for 2 full seasons racing NPS, IXS and Maxxis Open races without any issues. And as for the lowers breaking, I just stacked a stepdown last friday completely destroying my front rim without the boxxers having taken any damage. A 888 is arguable stronger but Boxxers are no where nearly as weak as people make them.

The biggest problem I have found with my WC is that the set-up guide is complete junk. THe recommended air pressure is around 30psi too high for the fork to run properly. Having spoken to a number of pro riders and SRAM mechanics they told me "off-the-records" that those recommendations are to cover their own backs to stop hacks breaking forks and that most of them run pressures far lower than officially recommended.

I think the WC is a lovely piece of equipment but unless you are into racing (or weight obsessed) I would choose a Team. It's a lot cheaper, feels marginally more sensitive on small bumps and needs less servicing.

I'm not going to comment on the Fox 40 as the last model I have tried was an '05 and I think it wouldn't be fair to make a comparison.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 17:12 Quote
get the 40s there so awsome

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 at 3:04 Quote
thanks guy tht last few ppl gave some good reviews i think the teams pimped would be best for me. i got a 888 burt its only rv models i am going to buy some new ones does any 1 ere know what the differnts between o6 rc2x and 07 ones are
thanks ed

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 7:17 Quote
pinked wrote:
hi what do think is better fox 40 or boxxer for a iron horse sunday
thanks ed
fox 40s man i have a friend with a sunday and boxxers and another with fox 40s the one with fox 40s had boxxer teams and he broke them on his second run. and i rode it with both and i personally like the 40s

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 15:41 Quote
most pro riders use teams with worldcup lower any ways . . . cos the teams feel nicer . . . i first learnt that when looking at tracy moseleys bike up at fortwilliam in may...

i have a fox 40R tbh now its fully tuned n all . . . i love it . . so nice with the TI springs n all feels nice . .

ive also rode my cousins VP which as boxxer World cups . . . personaly i cnt tell much diffrence . . 40s feel a bit nicer . . . but im guessing all personal preferance . . . the new marzocchi 888s ment to be good ?? i dno though cos never used one

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 10:38 Quote
I have always prefered 40's to Boxxers. I liked the team more than the WC like most people, but the 40 was the stiffest and most controlled out of any of them. I rode the Boxxer Team on a Sunday team, and a WC on a Sunday WC.
photo

FL
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 10:42 Quote
go with 40s, they work an look mint togetha
photo

thats mine

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 13:44 Quote
i like them both but i do prefer the boxxer forks Smile

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 14:06 Quote
All you have to do is settle the discussion with sam hill, whats he ride a boxxer............then boxxers your chioce

Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 14:08 Quote
or stve smith/ greg minnar they always win on boxxers

FL
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 14:13 Quote
sam hill an minnaar arnt using proper boxxers anymore, and they could win on nearly any fork so thats a rubbish reason

FL
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 14:14 Quote
an if we are going to say silly things like that gee is world champ and no. 1 on uci points so Razz

FL
Posted: Aug 22, 2008 at 19:04 Quote
Sundays are made for Boxxers.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024324
Mobile Version of Website