direct mount stem vs normal stem on 888

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
direct mount stem vs normal stem on 888
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 15, 2008 at 0:19 Quote
hey i was wondering what would be better for my new 888 i do not race dh so was wondering weather it is worth having a direct mount stem

thank you very much

ginge

Posted: May 15, 2008 at 2:01 Quote
direct mount stems are more stiff, and feels more responsive to turning. its also deadly straight in line. depends if you can afford it. if you can't its just a luxury in my opinion. normal stems work fine, and do the job.

Posted: May 15, 2008 at 4:41 Quote
The ONLY thing I have against an "integrated" stem would be the fact that you can damage other parts in a crash. Think about it, you crash, go over the bars, something like that. You pick your bike up, nothing is wrong other than the handlebars are twisted around. Now, put an integrated stem on there, and the bars can't twist....wheres that force go you ask? to your fork/headtube/bar/stem. The chances of you actually doing any damage to a part other than a bar (bending it) is slim, but its still something to consider. Also, from my past experiences, if I recall correctly, most integrated stems are heavy as all hell, but its been a few years since I've seen one, so that may have changed.

Posted: May 15, 2008 at 4:44 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
The ONLY thing I have against an "integrated" stem would be the fact that you can damage other parts in a crash. Think about it, you crash, go over the bars, something like that. You pick your bike up, nothing is wrong other than the handlebars are twisted around. Now, put an integrated stem on there, and the bars can't twist....wheres that force go you ask? to your fork/headtube/bar/stem. The chances of you actually doing any damage to a part other than a bar (bending it) is slim, but its still something to consider. Also, from my past experiences, if I recall correctly, most integrated stems are heavy as all hell, but its been a few years since I've seen one, so that may have changed.

True, a massive crash could twist the legs of the fork. And direct mount stems these days are far far lighter than s usual stem. E.g-A 888/Boxxer direct mount stem would weigh around 170g maximum, whereas a normal stem would generally be 250g+.

Posted: May 15, 2008 at 5:02 Quote
I have never had my bars move in a crash, generally my stem is clamped tight enough they can't move.

I'm all for the direct mount stem, there is some psychological thing with me, where I always think my bars are crooked and it drives me insane. I can't wait to get a direct mount stem.

O+
Posted: May 15, 2008 at 7:05 Quote
every 888 i've owned ( 4 ) has come with a direct mount stem. Great little invention. go for it if you can get one.

strong, stiff..

Posted: May 15, 2008 at 23:51 Quote
thanks guys i think i am guna get one for my 888 (arrives to day )Big Grin

Posted: May 15, 2008 at 23:52 Quote
jingo wrote:

It comes with a stem.

Posted: May 16, 2008 at 0:20 Quote
How much does the stock '08 888 stem weigh? Who makes the lightest 888 stem?

Posted: May 16, 2008 at 0:24 Quote
lelandjt wrote:
How much does the stock '08 888 stem weigh? Who makes the lightest 888 stem?

240g

Just get a Thomson X4 178g.

Posted: May 16, 2008 at 0:29 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
jingo wrote:

It comes with a stem.

its an 06 rc2x so second hand so dont know if it comes with stem =]

Posted: May 17, 2008 at 7:28 Quote
Check out these flat crowns for the 888 with direct mount stem:

http://www.function-bikes.com/Inertia-Project-Crowns.html

Posted: May 17, 2008 at 7:32 Quote
Borgschulze wrote:
I have never had my bars move in a crash, generally my stem is clamped tight enough they can't move.

I'm all for the direct mount stem, there is some psychological thing with me, where I always think my bars are crooked and it drives me insane. I can't wait to get a direct mount stem.

wait till u hit a tree:P

Posted: May 17, 2008 at 8:05 Quote
wisdesign wrote:
Check out these flat crowns for the 888 with direct mount stem:

http://www.function-bikes.com/Inertia-Project-Crowns.html

Pretty nice, not sure I would pay $180 for it though.

Posted: May 17, 2008 at 16:01 Quote
right i carnt afford that fancie crown thing haha but if i crash hard is there any chance my forks will bend becuase my mates boxxer wc did

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015285
Mobile Version of Website