good 4x hardtail

PB Forum :: Downhill
good 4x hardtail
Posted: Oct 29, 2008 at 14:30 Quote
QuinBaird wrote:
get a full sus like my xxxx its sweet when you harden up the shock cos theres no pedal bob and when you land hard it just cusions u so basically a hardtail with a bonus

i prefer hardtails as they are lighter less to go wrong and no matter what fullsus frame a hardtail will out sprint oneSmile

Posted: Oct 29, 2008 at 15:54 Quote
Flow Myth

Spank Puff

Posted: Oct 29, 2008 at 16:04 Quote
well id go full sus but if not go wit the yeti dj wanted to get myself but i wanted a fully so i got a transition double

Posted: Oct 29, 2008 at 17:05 Quote
tacobell123 wrote:
specialized p2

Ultimate in strength? Smile

But it has a weird geo... the bottombracket is kinda low... is that good for 4x or dj-ing? :S

Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 4:51 Quote
I have a Dr Jekyll BSX build from ISON
TBH its overkill in toughness, too high BB (like BMX, so sky high on 26" rims) and far too stodgy and laborious to ride unless down hill or firing over jumps when it is quite awesome, I will be selling frame and cranks, and some 24" Tornado wheels
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff16/stoppitandtidyup/DSCF4828.jpg Its never been lived up to what i hoped when i got back into MTB's

I want to build up summat lighter with more of a spritely ride for general all round riding and mucking about, on and off and that can fit my ong legs (i'm 6ft2) , was gonna go XC, but discovered the Commencal absolut 4x (VIP) at an open day at merlin. Now I want one. i got a good quote. just wanna explore options before I go for a small short pricey frame! Big Grin

* Pace RC305? - bit longer travel trail specific maybe

* Yeti DJ - pricey and i'd need the large with their sizings :-/ need to consider

* Dialled prince Albert - any good fun? Weight?

* Giant STP - too tempting to not consider but not riden one, specs hard to come by

any others to consider? or any advice? cheers

Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 5:42 Quote
reanimation wrote:
I have a Dr Jekyll BSX build from ISON
TBH its overkill in toughness, too high BB (like BMX, so sky high on 26" rims) and far too stodgy and laborious to ride unless down hill or firing over jumps when it is quite awesome, I will be selling frame and cranks, and some 24" Tornado wheels
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff16/stoppitandtidyup/DSCF4828.jpg Its never been lived up to what i hoped when i got back into MTB's

I want to build up summat lighter with more of a spritely ride for general all round riding and mucking about, on and off and that can fit my ong legs (i'm 6ft2) , was gonna go XC, but discovered the Commencal absolut 4x (VIP) at an open day at merlin. Now I want one. i got a good quote. just wanna explore options before I go for a small short pricey frame! Big Grin

* Pace RC305? - bit longer travel trail specific maybe

* Yeti DJ - pricey and i'd need the large with their sizings :-/ need to consider

* Dialled prince Albert - any good fun? Weight?

* Giant STP - too tempting to not consider but not riden one, specs hard to come by

any others to consider? or any advice? cheers

ive got an stp and have ridden an identity krisis, totally different builds so hard to compare. i took the stp. its a solid frame. like no give in it at all. feels gorgeous when u put it down right, less os when you dont. light as fork. quite a long frame. me being 6"4' but i like the extra room it gives me. fits me better than the other bikes i tried

anything u want to no message meSmile

Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 5:42 Quote
CallumWood wrote:
i also want the bike for aggresive xc and just thrashing up some small trails and lil berms.
norco 125?

so you want a charge blender then!!...

http://www.chargebikes.com/video/

This review is a good, honest representation:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/charge-blender-test-2008.html

Seriously, they are amazing. And steel- not so rigid in the rear as the Yeti DJ...

If you can get yer ass to Chicksands, you can try mine?? Wink

Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 5:48 Quote
or, if you could afford it, why not just buy this?:

photo

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2839506/

Slightly out of your budget?

Hahaha!

Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 5:52 Quote
craigdhboy wrote:
QuinBaird wrote:
get a full sus like my xxxx its sweet when you harden up the shock cos theres no pedal bob and when you land hard it just cusions u so basically a hardtail with a bonus

i prefer hardtails as they are lighter less to go wrong and no matter what fullsus frame a hardtail will out sprint oneSmile

Yeah I have to agree- learn to ride a bike properly! Ditch the full sus. 4X only requires a hard tail- and they are soo much more fun!

Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 6:39 Quote
Thanks sixxamrider really helpful, I just had a look at the geometry on the Giant site for the STP0 and the large a nice size by look of it right inbetween the small and large size Absolut. No frameset available on Giants site though.
Is the weight 4.6lbs as suggested earlier about right?

cheers Smile

Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 6:58 Quote
photo

blender any day of the week! ti one if you can afford it!

Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 7:09 Quote
reanimation wrote:
Thanks sixxamrider really helpful, I just had a look at the geometry on the Giant site for the STP0 and the large a nice size by look of it right inbetween the small and large size Absolut. No frameset available on Giants site though.
Is the weight 4.6lbs as suggested earlier about right?

cheers Smile

Ask your local bike shop, I was able to buy an STP frame last year. Retail was £295. Pretty sure weight is 4.7lbs

Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 10:34 Quote
weight is obnoxiously light yea as it is aluminium

and ask shops, frames are available seperately. just need a dealer to order 1 for u

Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 10:43 Quote
Yeah cheers my Jekyll is about 5.8lbs (though I realise thats not 'heavy' my retro XC bike frame is almost that)I might well have a trip to winstanleys and ride a Zero, and chat to them about monies. been offered an absolut for 400 so saving there again with one of these. what i wanna know is what fork length the Giant geometry is based on, the Zero's Argyle fork is apparently 491mm, which is same as my White bros at 100mm travel Wink but it may be modelled against another length at teh drawing board. I know the Absolut is measured with 470mm length forks, and the Dr Jekyll with 440mm minor issues but I want angles as they are meant to be. Smile

Jeff looks like a good ambassador!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0IKuRdgcUVI

Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 10:48 Quote
im running mine on pikes frmo 95 - 140 . . . .and think it runs best at 110. not sure on an axle to crown on that one but it rides good Razz

photo

mine baby ^^^ Razz

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021308
Mobile Version of Website