floating rotors

PB Forum :: Downhill
floating rotors
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: May 28, 2008 at 19:30 Quote
i was wondering what the advantage is to having floting rotors or if there is any. has anyone ever used them??

pros?
cons?

Posted: May 28, 2008 at 19:37 Quote
Pro's:

Harder to buckle, Don't warp under heat, Disperse heat better and look cool

Con's:

Heavier in most cases, They have problem's with catching the brake mounts and Cost more

Posted: May 28, 2008 at 19:44 Quote
dhpete93 wrote:
Pro's:

Harder to buckle, Don't warp under heat, Disperse heat better and look cool

Con's:

Heavier in most cases, They have problem's with catching the brake mounts and Cost more

I would have thought that they would have been lighter because they would be using aluminum spiders instead of the stainless steel.

O+
Posted: May 29, 2008 at 1:11 Quote
so bottom line is it worth getting them?

Posted: May 29, 2008 at 3:17 Quote
Pros: Lighter, heat up less;less warp,
Cons: Expensive, spider can come loose.

Personally; not worth it

Posted: May 29, 2008 at 10:28 Quote
i find them good to use...better power, and heat dispertion.

and they loo pretty trick

hope do nice colours Pimp

Posted: May 29, 2008 at 23:25 Quote
look sick, personally no need, ive never cooked a hayes 7 in the rear or 8 in the front. if you are riding the brakes that much then learn to brake more aggressively for shorter distances. let your brakes cool.

they are theoretically stiffer just like post mount as apposed to IS. but the ss rotors are stiff enough as is IS. also it is easier to true a ss rotor.

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 at 9:29 Quote
i have a floating rotor on the back and the floating part seems to move slightly from the main part in the middle attached to the hub, anyone know how to tighten it and with what?? thanks Smile

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 at 9:54 Quote
mr-substance wrote:
i have a floating rotor on the back and the floating part seems to move slightly from the main part in the middle attached to the hub, anyone know how to tighten it and with what?? thanks Smile

It's normal I'm sure. The whole point of them is the rotor can float reducing warping.

Thats why you can quite often hear lots of cracking from brakes that run floating brakes

Posted: Jun 8, 2010 at 19:19 Quote
i love my floating rotors, i've cooked a set or two of hayes rotors just from riden fast flowy trails around my house and at diablo... so the price of the floaters are a lil cheaper in the long run for me..

Posted: Jun 9, 2010 at 3:27 Quote
The spider is riveted to the disk in most cases I think, so you can't tighten it. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Posted: Jun 9, 2010 at 7:23 Quote
correct, they are riveted together. so there is no way to fix play in them if you get any..

Posted: Jun 14, 2010 at 4:28 Quote
oh alright thanks just thought i would check any way Smile

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 29, 2012 at 6:35 Quote
i have floating rotors for my saints, on the rear one it some times vibrates when under braking and it effects the braking performance, could it be the rivots that are doing it coz they dont seem to atach the braking bit firmly to the middle bit????

Posted: Aug 29, 2012 at 13:37 Quote
Take some time to properly align the pads/caliper with the disc (I use the "Hope method" that you can find as a video on their website and it works brilliantly for my Hopes, Elixirs and XTs). That should sort it out.

If it doesn't, check by hand if the rivets are loose. If the disc is Centerlock, make sure it's tightened properly (check the front aswell). If it's 6bolt, check them anyway. Check the wheel for any play un the hub (if so, well look for the appropriate solution for your hub, from preloading the bearings to changing them)

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011830
Mobile Version of Website