You know you work in a bikeshop when...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
You know you work in a bikeshop when...
Posted: May 7, 2017 at 22:35 Quote
we just point and laugh...
i have been known to throw in a slow clap
that's usually punishment enough

Posted: May 7, 2017 at 23:09 Quote
We have a shake weight for some reason so that makes a pretty great punishment lol

Posted: May 8, 2017 at 0:19 Quote
Lol.

The ol shop shake weight.

Posted: May 8, 2017 at 6:08 Quote
When you have to cut the flunky off from eating meatball subs every day for lunch, cuz he's starting to smell like one. This was a long time ago, but true. You'd thought I took his birthday away. I told him he could still have 2 a week on non consecutive days, I'm not totally heartless.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2017 at 8:26 Quote
do any of you have thoughts on saint brakes?
I'm expecting there will be a new set released relatively soon due to the new Code brakes....

but knowing shimano, i wont be able to get a set for at least a year after they announce them.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2017 at 8:37 Quote
Well they've just renewed the xt and slx so i suspect they will be coming at some point

Posted: May 9, 2017 at 17:45 Quote
Ok, just curious, what is everyone's rules for EP'ing a bike? Gotta be a brand you stock? Brand you can get? Only specific models that you stock on floor?

Posted: May 9, 2017 at 17:48 Quote
Either a brand you stock, or a brand you plan on representing. Testing a brand prior to carrying it is definitely rad.

If it's something you catagorically cannot get in your shop, aka you only deal Niner and want a DJ bike, get whatever the f*ck you want, cause it's not in competition.

That's my moral high ground approach. Others will certainly have other opinions, but I feel my customers deserve the best advice I can give them through the shop. If there's another brand or company that we simply can't compete with, I advise them to go elsewhere. Don't buy bolts from us, go to a bolt company. If you want allen keys, hit up the hardwear store. If you want some gnarly one off part that we can't get and we can't really do anything similar, shop elsewhere until we've brought it in/want to get it.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2017 at 18:39 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
Ok, just curious, what is everyone's rules for EP'ing a bike? Gotta be a brand you stock? Brand you can get? Only specific models that you stock on floor?

For me to EP it just has to a brand we carry. Of course I wanted a Canfield Riot, so now we're a Canfield dealer. lol

Its nice though because now we have one at the store people can check out if they are interested in doing something a little different.

Posted: May 9, 2017 at 21:57 Quote
same deal i generally limit myself to what ever brands / bikes the store i work at carries. now obviously i dont work at a Raleigh dealer anymore but we also dont really sell high end performance bikes so im not worried that way. got some rad af accessories/tires ect so i can flex those on the bike i just got. that being said i own 1 bike that wasnt custom built/ pieced together from spares so im less stressed about the image of me riding bikes we dont sell. im also not a sales guy by any stretch so I generally get less "oh why dont you ride brand X bike when you sell brand Y" its more "what should i change on my bike to accomplish (insert cycling goal / type here) ".

Posted: May 10, 2017 at 3:37 Quote
We didn't sell dirt jump or downhill bikes so I was safe to run whatever pretty much lol Tried riding a Reign for actual mountain biking but it was just too little bike for what I need, then sold it for almost as much as I bought it for. I miss being able to do that haha.

Posted: May 10, 2017 at 7:04 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Either a brand you stock, or a brand you plan on representing. Testing a brand prior to carrying it is definitely rad.

If it's something you catagorically cannot get in your shop, aka you only deal Niner and want a DJ bike, get whatever the f*ck you want, cause it's not in competition.

That's my moral high ground approach.

This is my approach too. It recently came up at the shop, and ultimately lead to someone getting let go (amongst other things), but was just curious what everyone else has as EP requirements.

If it's a core category that your shop sells (Road, Mountain, CX, etc...) you need to be riding what you can recommend and sell to customers. If it's an outside category (dirt jump/bmx), ride whatever you can get access to at a good EP deal, and odd's are if a customer ever wants to buy one, you can become a dealer easily to get them one (ex: Deity).

Posted: May 10, 2017 at 7:11 Quote
Yeah, how would you sell something you dont ride

O+
Posted: May 11, 2017 at 1:15 Quote
I think its a balance though. When I worked for a Trek dealer in the UK I never owned one, I would of loved to had a fair few of them though. But the cost of them compared to other bikes I could build part by part though was cheaper by a fair whack.

It was only when I was leaving they brought out frame sets and Trek Uni had only been around for about 9 months. If I went back now would almost definitely get one with the deals they have now.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2017 at 1:57 Quote
i was gonna say, they've been knocking out framsets for dirt cheap, hence i now own two treks!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.151975
Mobile Version of Website