Tips and Tricks of putting Grips on?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Tips and Tricks of putting Grips on?
Posted: May 24, 2011 at 14:49 Quote
marquis wrote:
eastofski wrote:
dylaine wrote:
Actually , it's a degreaser.

It's actually a water displacer, but thats why marq said 'of some sorts' - it's generally used as a lube and works well as one

Hence the wd in the name water displacer,but i only just looked that up lol

the 40 being their 40th attempt to make it. Something new every day

Posted: May 24, 2011 at 14:52 Quote
dbxrace wrote:
zip ties, easier than anything and it keeps the inside of the grip and bar clean.
step by step photo instruction on using the ziptie method. http://bmx.transworld.net/1000089296/features/everything-you-need-to-know-about-putting-grips-on-a-bike/
actually to quote the link i put this method sounds better - "Using ultra-sonic brain waves to telepathically command the grip to jump onto the bar. For this you have to be pro though with at least seven sponsors".

Posted: May 27, 2011 at 10:26 Quote
My bad, I remember getting lectured on that shit at work some time ago. Kinda forgot I guess.

Posted: May 27, 2011 at 10:52 Quote
dylaine wrote:
My bad, I remember getting lectured on that shit at work some time ago. Kinda forgot I guess.

I never use wd40 for anything,some dude reckons it had ate through electrical cables Eek and gt85 smells so much nicer lol

Posted: May 27, 2011 at 10:57 Quote
I have a method that works every time, had mine and others grips off and the wd40 if anything made it stick better. Slide a small hex wrench into either end of the grip, careful not to go through the grip, spray gt85 or wd40 down the gap the hex keys make, take em out and it'll slide right out, same for putting em on.

Posted: May 27, 2011 at 10:59 Quote
Surprised people still use old style grips,saying that not all loc on grip designs will suite everyone as it took me 5 differing types to find the ones that suited me best.

Posted: May 27, 2011 at 11:07 Quote
marquis wrote:
Surprised people still use old style grips,saying that not all loc on grip designs will suite everyone as it took me 5 differing types to find the ones that suited me best.
I ride street and mainly BMX now and the extra length is nice, plus they seem far softer than any lock ons I've tried.

Posted: May 27, 2011 at 11:14 Quote
fooby wrote:
marquis wrote:
I ride street and mainly BMX now and the extra length is nice, plus they seem far softer than any lock ons I've tried.

Yeah I only use them on my hardtail, I ride that without gloves mostly and like the skinny/soft mix, something I can't seem to find in lock-ons. I use the ODI Troy Lee's on my DH sled but they'd chew your hands up without gloves

Posted: May 27, 2011 at 11:17 Quote
clean the bar with rubbing alcohol really well and let dry than take two breathes like you would do to fog a lens inside the grip and put it on once you start don't stop

Posted: May 27, 2011 at 12:41 Quote
NO rubbing alchohol because it contains GLYCERINE>which is a LUBRICANT Thumbs Down

We use this tool and NOTHING except for a HOT BREATH into the new grip.

photo

photo

FL
Posted: May 27, 2011 at 13:41 Quote
Grip glue is the way foward. slosh it on and the grips just glide on and then they set in place nicely. When you need to take them off you run underthe grip with a flathead screwdriver and wrestle it off. ;D

Posted: May 27, 2011 at 16:10 Quote
goodbyepinkbike wrote:
wd-40
never use this

Posted: May 27, 2011 at 16:15 Quote
use about six tie wraps, place them in grip, push slightly on to bars, adjust the tie wraps so they are evenly spread out, push em on and pull em out, best way cuz they use the natural rubber to stick especially with odi's

Posted: May 27, 2011 at 16:20 Quote
jason123425 wrote:
use about six tie wraps, place them in grip, push slightly on to bars, adjust the tie wraps so they are evenly spread out, push em on and pull em out, best way cuz they use the natural rubber to stick especially with odi's
zip ties? (not being offensive just i know you guys have lots of funky names for them, best one so far has to be "zap straps" haha)

Posted: May 27, 2011 at 17:15 Quote
dbxrace wrote:
jason123425 wrote:
zip ties? (not being offensive just i know you guys have lots of funky names for them, best one so far has to be "zap straps" haha)
no tie wraps is the proper name but whatevs

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020801
Mobile Version of Website