Post your race Bmx!

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Post your race Bmx!
Posted: Apr 18, 2015 at 1:48 Quote
Ahh just found what I think is a crazy deal. So tempted to go for this but what do you guys think?

Hope it doesn't count as selling in the forums, I'm just asking for your input
Hub has 120 POE, just a typo where it says 12- I'm pretty sure

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABD-Team-Issue-Pro-Frameset-White-Red-XX-Large-21-75-BRAND-NEW-RRP-625-00-/321589931834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ae040ef3a

Posted: Apr 18, 2015 at 4:51 Quote
Joebohobo wrote:
Ahh just found what I think is a crazy deal. So tempted to go for this but what do you guys think?

Hope it doesn't count as selling in the forums, I'm just asking for your input
Hub has 120 POE, just a typo where it says 12- I'm pretty sure

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABD-Team-Issue-Pro-Frameset-White-Red-XX-Large-21-75-BRAND-NEW-RRP-625-00-/321589931834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ae040ef3a
Damn, thats cheap. Surely the crankset retails at more than that?! If you are buying it because you're after a new frame then go for it but if you buying it for the sake of buying it because its cheap and selling on if you don't like it, then I wouldn't bother. The reason they cant get rid of them is going to be the size so you would have the same trouble selling on.

Posted: Apr 18, 2015 at 5:15 Quote
Basically I'm in need of a new rear hub & cranks and I like how the ABD frame rides so seems like a decent option.

Posted: Apr 18, 2015 at 10:54 Quote
Looks like a crazy good deal.

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 9:10 Quote
Is BMX racing hard because i am looking to get into it

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 9:37 Quote
TARwyre wrote:
Depends if you want to be good. And how good you are on a bike already..

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 9:45 Quote
It's very easy to do badly! Like most things, it gets easier with practice. I did my first race of 2015 yesterday, and I certainly felt knackered on the third straight. I can do well on one straight at a time, but that's at a good speed. However, when it comes to a race, that's different as I'm hitting the jumps at far less than my 1-straight-at-a-time speed, so jumping isn't an option, and manualling is very different.

Looks like you're 15. You'll pick it up in no time if you try at all. I can't believe how quick the kids in Ireland have learned, from having no tracks 2 years ago. Now they're competitive in the UK.

My local tracks will lend you a bike for your first time and let you have a go. If you find a 20" too sketchy, ask to try a cruiser as they're more stable and forgiving. They're also not as fast out of the gate, but if you have to work on Monday, that's a compromise I'm willing to make. But I'm 38 and don't heal as quickly as you. And I can get back on my 26" far easier without feeling that it's totally alien to me.

It's also a relatively cheap sport - I paid £200 for my used cruiser, and it's just fine. Put it this way - I'm the limitation, not the bike. There's very little to go wrong on a BMX, and I should be able to sell it for close to what I bought it for should I chose to. I think I've changed the tyres and that's about it.

It'll certainly give you a ton of transferable skills for MTB. My advice would be to not clip in until you're confident and give it a go.

Posted: Apr 21, 2015 at 10:20 Quote
TARwyre wrote:

Great points by people.
BMX is extremely accessible; cost is relatively low when compared to other cycling sports. This makes a big difference, as the feel of a high quality bike is very different from a low-quality bike. In BMX, you definitely get a large bang for your buck.

20" vs. 24"/26": 20" is very touchy, and feels like a fighter jet. Cruiser is a bit less touchy. I've found that 20" typically has more participants on race day. Both are fairly similar in price. I prefer cruiser because it allows for an easy transition onto the DH bike (slightly closer geometry, and I'm 33 and beat up these days).

Regarding how easy it is to actually do? It will be challenging at first, especially the fitness portion. You will eventually get better. Exercises that will make you better:

- Ride your bike (get out of the saddle) - concentrate on how your body feels on the bike (your arms and core contribute just as much as your legs). Sprinting should feel like a whole body workout.
- Hit jumps - start out just surviving, but eventually the goal is to stay low and maintain speed (smoothness counts)
- Sprint (~30-40m, ~100m and more) - explode and get into a spin as soon as possible; maintain this smooth spin. Remember: spin your cranks; don't pound them (listen to your tires. Wwwwwwwwwwwww. Not Wwww Wwww Wwwww).
- Practice Gate Starts - this is 80%-90% of the race; do it if you have access. If not, just sprint.
- Have fun and keep it smooth. Watch the Pros. They are amazing.

Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 16:28 Quote
My pal took some shots of my bike and myself riding but I'm too embarrassed to show the riding pics so heres one of the bike. already posted but its a new shot as of last week

photo

Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 16:36 Quote
Thunderjam5000 wrote:
TARwyre wrote:

Great points by people.
BMX is extremely accessible; cost is relatively low when compared to other cycling sports. This makes a big difference, as the feel of a high quality bike is very different from a low-quality bike. In BMX, you definitely get a large bang for your buck.

20" vs. 24"/26": 20" is very touchy, and feels like a fighter jet. Cruiser is a bit less touchy. I've found that 20" typically has more participants on race day. Both are fairly similar in price. I prefer cruiser because it allows for an easy transition onto the DH bike (slightly closer geometry, and I'm 33 and beat up these days).

Regarding how easy it is to actually do? It will be challenging at first, especially the fitness portion. You will eventually get better. Exercises that will make you better:

- Ride your bike (get out of the saddle) - concentrate on how your body feels on the bike (your arms and core contribute just as much as your legs). Sprinting should feel like a whole body workout.
- Hit jumps - start out just surviving, but eventually the goal is to stay low and maintain speed (smoothness counts)
- Sprint (~30-40m, ~100m and more) - explode and get into a spin as soon as possible; maintain this smooth spin. Remember: spin your cranks; don't pound them (listen to your tires. Wwwwwwwwwwwww. Not Wwww Wwww Wwwww).
- Practice Gate Starts - this is 80%-90% of the race; do it if you have access. If not, just sprint.

this is the most accurate post ive ever seen on here I think lol. I race sorta regularly but Im by no means great. Im improving but it all comes down to the practice. theres a whole different skill set in this discipline than say riding your trail bike on some xc stuff. For me I still feel uncomfortable on the 20" and wish I had gone 24/26". Helps to stay loose on the bike, let the bike do its thing kinda stuff. Im still stiffer than hell when jumping but im working on it. /endrant

Posted: Apr 23, 2015 at 6:31 Quote
Thanks buddy I live in Georgia btw so the tracks are pretty accessible so ill give it a try i am just gonna have to get the right bike first
Thunderjam5000 wrote:
TARwyre wrote:

Great points by people.

Posted: Apr 28, 2015 at 8:53 Quote
Just got my first bmx pretty excited cant wait to visit a few of my local tracks. Its nothing special plan on upgrading the pedals and brakes soon. I hate tektro brakes though so can anyone suggest something better?

Excuse the house crap but just finished putting it together.

photo

Posted: Apr 28, 2015 at 9:24 Quote
That's a great first bike. really nice. Lots of people run DXR brakes, but I don't see the advantage. I've got Avids on one bike and I've had Deore and XT brakes on another and they worked great.

Posted: Apr 29, 2015 at 9:12 Quote
Any mentioned above are good. DXR's, Deore's and XT's are basically the same and Avid feel very similar, just a different lever style.

Posted: Apr 30, 2015 at 0:48 Quote
I'd go Avid (it's what I run) simply for their levers. I have an SD7 lever and bought a second one so if I break it I have another (they are THAT good).

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019022
Mobile Version of Website