want to buy the chick I'm dating her first bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
want to buy the chick I'm dating her first bike
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 at 20:48 Quote
I'm a freerider/dirtjumper that came from BMX and I'm trying to find a used entry level mountain bike for a chick that has only ever riden a beach cruiser down at the beach. I don't want to spend alot of money incase she finds that she doesn't like mountain biking. I really don't know what to look for in a low end bike. She is 5'6" tall so I was thinking maybe a 17" frame, does that sound right? Any advice welcome.

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2008 at 21:03 Quote
The frame size sound's right (i'm 5'4 and i'm riding a 17") but i can't help you much on bike but used is your best bet probably.

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 at 21:06 Quote
first see if she likes mtb first so take her out once and rent a bike for her and if she likes it then get her a bike

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 at 21:16 Quote
photo

get this then you guys can ride together

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 at 21:25 Quote
actually, i have a 17" inch stumpjumper... and i don't even have to raise the seat that much. i'm 5'9"...

go for a small, standover will be better, and your girlfriend won't be stretched out too much on the smaller size. 15-16" frames will fit better.

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 at 21:31 Quote
Just go to a bike shop and look around. There are so many low end models of bikes out there that no one discusses but they are out there at a reasonable price. These bikes won't be particularly amazing spec wise but they will get the job done for some light action XC riding. Make sure to take her along too.

That way she can try the bikes out and pick the one she wants. Based solely on the fact that you're a man, whatever bike/size you pick independently will most likely be wrong. If you really want to surprise her with it, make up a cute little "I.O.U. 1 bike" and give that to her. If she says "no" then its much better to have wasted a piece of paper than pissing away money on a bike she doesn't want.

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 at 21:39 Quote
walmart bike. dont be a sugar daddy

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 at 21:41 Quote
Dude not to be a dick, but what if you break up?

She probably can't tell the difference anyway, so I'd just buy her some POS zeller's bike.

But that just me....

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 at 21:42 Quote
way2zesty wrote:
Dude not to be a dick, but what if you break up?

She probably can't tell the difference anyway, so I'd just buy her some POS zeller's bike.

But that just me....
+1

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 at 21:56 Quote
I say go for a half decent bike, if your ripping on a 3grand bike, and stick her on a cheep 40lb huffy, she may feel intimidated. Get a nice used (ebay, pinkbike) full suspension, and I guarantee she'll have a blast! Hey, worst case, you can always sell it.

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 at 21:58 Quote
cool thanks for the suggestions. so far I'm thinking used bike , but it did find some cheap ones on rs cycles that i'm considering

Posted: Jul 20, 2008 at 21:59 Quote
Diablito wrote:
cool thanks for the suggestions. so far I'm thinking used bike , but it did find some cheap ones on rs cycles that i'm considering
post a pic and price

Posted: Jul 21, 2008 at 13:09 Quote
robschultz2 wrote:
I say go for a half decent bike, if your ripping on a 3grand bike, and stick her on a cheep 40lb huffy, she may feel intimidated. Get a nice used (ebay, pinkbike) full suspension, and I guarantee she'll have a blast! Hey, worst case, you can always sell it.

FAIL

Firstly, I highly doubt that she will feel intimidated if you have a nicer bike. I doubt she'll even be able to tell which one cost more.

I don't see how you can "guarantee she'll have a blast". MTB is no for everyone.

Actually worse case scenario is that she will keep the bike and sell it herself. It is hers, after all.

Again, I'm not trying to be a dick, but this is my $0.02

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012745
Mobile Version of Website