single crown or double crown for freeriding?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
single crown or double crown for freeriding?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 14:31 Quote
I was wondering what would be the best fork for freeriding a single crown or a double crown and why? (I am riding a glory one if that matters)

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 14:34 Quote
1. Use the search.
2. Do you do bar spins?
3. Do you plan do do bar spins?

If the answer to either of those questions is yes, single crown. If not Double.

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 14:41 Quote
i can do barspins yes but im not planning on doing them on my freeride bike ( i have used the search but didnt really find some good awnsers to my question..

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 16:34 Quote
well single crowns are more affordable, but if money is not an option i would go with double crowns, but u cant do switchbacks with a double crown

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 16:37 Quote
its really a question if you think you needd 200 mm or travel or you can deel with 180(plus you save some weight.)

for freeriding. id personally want a 66, totem, or travis. but for freeriding and downhilling, id go double. like a travis or 888 ( i run a fox 40, but i only dh. i wouldent want to fr on a boxxer or 40)

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 16:41 Quote
thanks for the help I think im going to keep my 66 but why is it that double crowns are so good at downhill? more stabil or what?

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 16:51 Quote
they absorb more impact and can be softer when ridin because the coil is longer in the tubes.

Posted: Sep 9, 2008 at 18:35 Quote
its that they give you an extra 23 mm. all single crowns (exept the travis 203 single) have 180 mm of travel. most double crowns, like new 2006-present have 203 mm of travel. or 8 inches so it alows you to run the fork a little softer so its more plush but still has more than enough travel. doubles also are stiffer, less flex in the fork body.

iv had a 2007 marzocchi 66 ata rc2- great fork, but i just traded for a fox 40 r and for dh, its much better. just my oppinions. i dont really huck to much though

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 4:59 Quote
but if a wanna do big stuff like 15-20 ft. drops and bigmountain riding do I got a good fork for that kinda riding?

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 13:49 Quote
miniman wrote:
but if a wanna do big stuff like 15-20 ft. drops and bigmountain riding do I got a good fork for that kinda riding?
the fork i would want would be a 2007 marzocchi 888 rc. very tough. id want a coil fork, not air.

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 14:52 Quote
lcstay10 wrote:
miniman wrote:
the fork i would want would be a 2007 marzocchi 888 rc. very tough. id want a coil fork, not air.
888 are so nice but also quite expensive.. but do you think my 66 can handle bigmountain riding and 15-20 ft. drops without bottoming out?

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 15:14 Quote
miniman wrote:
lcstay10 wrote:
miniman wrote:
888 are so nice but also quite expensive.. but do you think my 66 can handle bigmountain riding and 15-20 ft. drops without bottoming out?

If your fork doesnt bottom on a 20 foot drop there is something wrong with it. The reason you never see racers using single crown forks is because they arent nearly as stiff as a double crown fork. A stiffer fork means you can corner quicker and your front end doesnt end up wandering around on really rough sections. Like the majority of the people, i doubt that extra inch of travel you get with a double crown fork will really make your riding that much better, just give you more room for error.

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 15:20 Quote
i havent done 20 ft. drops yet but i think im soon gonna try but was just wondering if the fork bottoms out. but if i put more air into the fork would it be harder to bottom out? (sorry if i wirte werid my english isnt that good)

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 15:25 Quote
miniman wrote:
i havent done 20 ft. drops yet but i think im soon gonna try but was just wondering if the fork bottoms out. but if i put more air into the fork would it be harder to bottom out? (sorry if i wirte werid my english isnt that good)

yeah it will be harder to bottom out, but it will also put more stress on everything else because less impact is being absorbed by the fork. Your fork will also ride like crap if you add a lot more air into your fork because it wont be set up for your weight.

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 at 15:30 Quote
theweapon52 wrote:
miniman wrote:

yeah it will be harder to bottom out, but it will also put more stress on everything else because less impact is being absorbed by the fork. Your fork will also ride like crap if you add a lot more air into your fork because it wont be set up for your weight.
ok thanks for the help. I think im going to keep my fork and see how it handles 20 ft. drops and the bigmountain riding before i buy a new oneWink

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014247
Mobile Version of Website