Best bang for your buck R derailleur?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Best bang for your buck R derailleur?
Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 9:08 Quote
No its from total cycling. www.totalcycling.com
Well i just found something on PB. A sram x9 derailleur with x9 shifter for 65$ + shipping.

But i think i'll still go with XT M772 and try to get myself a XTR shifter. Total of those two shouldn't cost me more than 100$ i think which it just great.

I think i'll put a little more money on this and get something that will last long work better and look nicer.

So with XT M772 Shadow and a rear XTR shifter, would that be a good drivetrain system?

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 9:10 Quote
Graphxxx wrote:
Well i just found something on PB. A sram x9 derailleur with x9 shifter for 65$ + shipping.

But i think i'll still go with XT M772 and try to get myself a XTR shifter. Total of those two shouldn't cost me more than 100$ i think which it just great.

I think i'll put a little more money on this and get something that will last long work better and look nicer.

So with XT M772 Shadow and a rear XTR shifter, would that be a good drivetrain system?

what gears do you run as you could get away with a road block,and as far as chains go the best you can afford,the cn-7701 or xtr is real nice,but so is the hg-93 or xt chain.

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 9:12 Quote
marquis wrote:
Graphxxx wrote:

what gears do you run as you could get away with a road block,and as far as chains go the best you can afford,the cn-7701 or xtr is real nice,but so is the hg-93 or xt chain.

What do you mean by road block? Well my chain is almost new. Got a new KMC when i finished my hucker build.

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 9:14 Quote
Graphxxx wrote:
marquis wrote:
Graphxxx wrote:

What do you mean by road block? Well my chain is almost new. Got a new KMC when i finished my hucker build.

road block or road ratio cassette,smaller than standard mtb cassette's and also lighter.

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 9:15 Quote
road block.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1094

roughly the same price as xt but lighter,and closer ratio.

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 9:19 Quote
so you're thinking about going with the xt deraileur/xtr shifter eh? well it cost me quite a bit but i think it will be worth it. can't wait to ride with them....

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 9:29 Quote
merkel wrote:
so you're thinking about going with the xt deraileur/xtr shifter eh? well it cost me quite a bit but i think it will be worth it. can't wait to ride with them....

Yeah i think i'll do that. But for the shifter i'm not sure if i'll go XTR yet. I'll see what kind of shifter i'm going to get. Honestly, i'll get the good derailleur and the shifter i'll get something not to bad. I know i should go with something good for the shifter, but that will probably go to next summer. The derailleur is just more important than the shifter right now as i feel its going to brake soon lol.

Anyway, i think i'll go with an average shifter for now and once i've bought my pit bike i'll get a good shifter. Anyway, i don't need the top of the line shifter and derailleur. Already the M772 is much better than i was thinking of getting lol Razz

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 9:34 Quote
yeah this should be sweet. xtr shifter looks sexy and feels sexy too. metal metal metal no cheap plastic bullshit. i know i've said this countless times but i will surely get back to you on the deraileur/shifter later today when i get my RIDE back.

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 12:38 Quote
XT rear mech is easily best value for money

I prefer the SRAM X-9 for the heavier shifting action and lower maintenance overhead (cabling) but the XT is way better value and the new Shadow XT is very nice

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 12:39 Quote
yeah they're putting the new xt shadow (sexyyyyy) on my bike right now

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 17:19 Quote
Yep my choice is made, i'm def going with the XT M772. Just looks to sexy and its def going to be worth it. I'm thinking of getting an LX shifter... Would that be good enough?

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 17:31 Quote
get the xt shifter lol its between lx and xtr or take a look at the new slx stuff.

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 17:31 Quote
but yes it should be enough and easily upgradeable later on

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 17:46 Quote
Best bang for the buck:
Shimano alivio shifters
Shimano Sora derailleur.

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 at 17:52 Quote
I suggest get SRAM shifters. They are layed out differently so that all shifting takes place with your thumbs. This is more efficent because your thumbs move faster than your index fingers.

Also I've got a SRAM x7 rear mech and I think it is ok. I had Alivo before and they are pretty much tied. They had the same ok shifting performance. I'm no expert but I'd go SRAM, but x9 not x7. It'd probably be sturdier Is there an x8?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020739
Mobile Version of Website