PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Metal project
O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 23:41 Quote
Its called a mic welder.

Posted: Sep 24, 2008 at 0:29 Quote
carnell wrote:
Its called a mic welder.

i thought it was mig as in metal innert gas?

Posted: Sep 24, 2008 at 5:30 Quote
some-guy wrote:
carnell wrote:
Its called a mic welder.

i thought it was mig as in metal innert gas?

It is called MIG, and you are rite, it stands for Metal Inert Gas. TIG stands for Tungsten Inert Gas.

Posted: Sep 24, 2008 at 22:31 Quote
omg shock horror, a mod was wrong! whats the world coming to?

Posted: Sep 24, 2008 at 23:35 Quote
i wouldnt build handle bars handle bars are generally special treated and if u buiild a bike you have to heat treat it. a bash would be best or you could try to custom build a seat clamp, valve caps, bar caps (i personally made these worked great out of aluminum) any little part on a bike is fairly easy to build if u wanted to put some time and do a sweet casting project disc brake adapter.

Posted: Sep 24, 2008 at 23:37 Quote
also your grade 9 metal chances are they will barely let u use anything with out strict supervision id go cast parts if i were u

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 0:22 Quote
If you don't already have one you could make your self a mechanics bike stand. I made one last year as a welding project and it turned out great.

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 7:04 Quote
no my teacher barely cares he jsut sits in his office and if we fail the safety tests we cant do it he jsut wants us to be working

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 7:19 Quote
Make a chain device. Some aluminium and nylon is all thats really needed. A good project would be to improve on a current design: i.e. making an MRP System 3 style guide, but lighter and better looking...

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 7:20 Quote
You dont need a CNC machine to do any part on a bike. It just takes more set ups and therefore time and patience. I have made every part of my custom frames including linkage plates, dropouts, and a stem including very complex shock links with manual milling machines. Stems are cool I would go that route if I were you. I just winged one for my proto cause I had no stem for it and a chunk of Aluminum stock. I milled my initials (BS) into the handlebar clamp. You can make it as cool as you want but it should come out bitchin no matter what if you take your time.

Another idea is a bottle opener seat post clamp or head tube/ handlebar piece.

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 7:26 Quote
I like the idea of designing and building a bike stand.

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 10:02 Quote
sirknumskullgt wrote:
You dont need a CNC machine to do any part on a bike. It just takes more set ups and therefore time and patience. I have made every part of my custom frames including linkage plates, dropouts, and a stem including very complex shock links with manual milling machines. Stems are cool I would go that route if I were you. I just winged one for my proto cause I had no stem for it and a chunk of Aluminum stock. I milled my initials (BS) into the handlebar clamp. You can make it as cool as you want but it should come out bitchin no matter what if you take your time.

Another idea is a bottle opener seat post clamp or head tube/ handlebar piece.
gotta remeber hes only getting around an hour or so a day to work on it so no matter how cool it would be to build a bike hed run out of time unfortanitly.
p.s. i second the bike stand saves you a lot f cash buying a new one

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 10:25 Quote
bike stand, tools, bar ends, stem, bash ring, valve caps,

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 13:08 Quote
i get 76 mins if its after the first class and 81 if its first class and yea im leaning towards the stand

Posted: Sep 25, 2008 at 13:36 Quote
Well, if you have ever used the torch before you could make a pretty cool bash guard. Get two pieces of round stock maybe 3/16 (probably the best way to get it would be cut it from a piece of plate) and weld them together without a filler rod, you can get some wicked stacked dime look to a fusion weld fairly easily, and it would certainly be unique. Line them up, and fuse the edge the whole way around. Once that is done, cut your holes, you could use the torch for the center hole if you felt like it, and then finish it with something else, then fuse the edge around the inside of the center hole. You could cut out anything you wanted for weight savings and just keep fusing edges together. May not be the most practical bash guard ever, but it would look nice and be a fun project. The only draw back is you are pretty much limited to mild steel, so it might be a better idea to make it and then hang it on the garage wall.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015418
Mobile Version of Website