Where in the world is the best downhill?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Where in the world is the best downhill?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 at 17:45 Quote
I will be graduating from school soon and I have the opportunity to move almost anywhere I want in the world. What is the best place for downhill racing? I know there are a lot of world cups in Europe. Any ideas are welcome. I was thinking Italy.

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 6:15 Quote
scotland! loads of trails everywhere within 2-3 hours drive of most major citys a great race scene and a world cup in fort william every year!

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 6:27 Quote
On the East Coast of Canada! Theres sooo much riding down here it its crazy!

The thing about the east coast is our DH runs are solid 3-5 minutes long which give ya a good workout! Plus everytime theres a ride day at a hill theres no huge line-ups..

Also Quebec (Mont-Ste-Anne, Bromont, Massif, Tremblant,...) is only a few hours drive away!!

As far as coverage goes the East Coast is massively under-rated!!

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 6:28 Quote
Fort Bill voted favourite by the pros... Arguement settled!!! (Think Vigo came second for some reason...)

As for living somewhere, near Mont Blanc would be my choice, loads of riding (all three types), nice people and amazing food and atmosphere...

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 6:50 Quote
theoutpost wrote:
Fort Bill voted favourite by the pros... Arguement settled!!! (Think Vigo came second for some reason...)

As for living somewhere, near Mont Blanc would be my choice, loads of riding (all three types), nice people and amazing food and atmosphere...

Are you talking about Mont Blanc in quebec?

Well i don't know the best place, but i sure know Quebec is well equiped with dh mountains Smile As Louis stated, theres Bromont (very populare and big) St-anne (WC There) Mont Tremblant (freaking huge!!!) Massif and i don't know the rest honestly. But i think there should be a little downhill biking at Mont St-Sauveur, not very big but a very fun place for ski.

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 6:53 Quote
im gonna say the saskatchwen prarires or w.e ahha

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 7:03 Quote
In Bolivia you can ride non stop downhill for 64km, 3800m vertical drop! but i'm guessing thats a bit too far out of the way.... ;-)
if you want to be in the centre of things in the Alps.... Chamonix would be my choice, easy access to all french resorts or thru a tunnel into Italy...

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 7:20 Quote
As far as training goes, Quebec is definitely high ranking. Bromont and Mont-Saint-Anne are the two main downhill training centers. This year Quebec had 2 world cups (bromont and mont-saint -anne) hence the fact that we have exceptional riding out here. The mountains are a good size (not the size of whistler but by the time you've reached the bottom you are in need of a relaxing chairlift ride.

The race scene here in Quebec is quite exceptional. The Canada/Quebec cup is held at Bromont, Mont-Tremblant, Mont-Saint-Anne, Masssif, Mont Edouard and Camp Fortune. The US open in Diablo is also in close proximity to Montreal so making a trip out there would definitely be worth it.

For you I would suggest moving to Montreal. It is located 45 minutes away from Bromont(main DH training center) and is large and culturally diverse. Bromont is by far the best training mountain. A season pass cost around 150$ Canadian which is very cheap. The trails are diverse and I met a couple of Australians whom were training for the WC that said bromont was better than Whistler. I also took a ride up a lift with Sam Hill over the summer. He said he was pleased with the improvements that bromont made for this season.

All in all, I believe that Montreal would be a great destination for you if you want to improve your skill and hit the international scene without breaking the bank.

Good Luck

Eric)-

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 7:37 Quote
Here are a couple pics of me diring this season in Quebec.
photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 7:40 Quote
that rock garden looks far too groomed to be on a DH track, if you want to ride proper downhill, then europe is definitely the place to go, Scotland does have an awesome scene but there is a huge lack of lift assisted riding, i'd go somewhere in the Alps, but the choice is huge.

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 7:52 Quote
hillman-hunter wrote:
that rock garden looks far too groomed to be on a DH track, if you want to ride proper downhill, then europe is definitely the place to go, Scotland does have an awesome scene but there is a huge lack of lift assisted riding, i'd go somewhere in the Alps, but the choice is huge.
ahah, thats because its not a rock garden.

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 7:55 Quote
Snowshoe Mountain West Virginia....

or live in lower NY... puts u a 2 hrs from platekill, diablo, 4 hours or so to killington, highlands a half day drive... very very good central location to the best riding

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 7:56 Quote
http://ride.snowshoemtn.com/photos05.html

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018660
Mobile Version of Website