Are avid codes worth getting?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Are avid codes worth getting?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 at 17:26 Quote
Im debating with myself which brakes i should buy. Avid Codes or Avid Juicy 7's. Ive heard that Codes tend to have more problems with their calipers and all that and the juicy 7's are more reliable. I want to know if its worth spending the extra cash and getting the codes or saving and buying juicy 7s. By the way, im buying used (maybe on pinkbike or ebay) but it would be nice if anyone had anything to say about these brakes which one is a better value.

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 at 17:27 Quote
'07 codes had problems with the contact adjustment stripping and leaking fluid, but the new ones are fixed.
I run Code 5's on my Yeti. Best brakes I own by far. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a good FR/DH brake.

Posted: Nov 3, 2008 at 17:28 Quote
what bike do you ride? were do you ride it, how much do you weigh, etc. obviously if you have a XC bike, codes are overkill. see what i'm saying, you need to put more info.

Posted: Nov 3, 2008 at 17:31 Quote
I run 08 Codes with Straitline levers and I love em. A bit heavy for racing but super strong, good modulation and they don't heat up. I have had no maintenance issues. They are easy to bleed. If you don't go with Codes go with Avid Elixer CR as opposed to the Juicys. They are priced great on Ebay. If you want the sickest option go with Formula The One. That is about the only set I would sell my Codes for.

Posted: Nov 3, 2008 at 17:31 Quote
odin333 wrote:
what bike do you ride? were do you ride it, how much do you weigh, etc. obviously if you have a XC bike, codes are overkill. see what i'm saying, you need to put more info.
sorry man. Heres some of my info that may help. I ride a 2005 norco a-line and right now it has hayes nines and i cant stand them anymore. Ive been mainly freeriding since ive started riding but latly ive been doing a lot more downhill and started racing over the summer and thats when it really hit me that i needed better brakes. I weigh about 185. Let me know if you need to know anything more. Basically, hayes nines dont do the job when im going through steep sections or when i need to slow down quickly.

Posted: Nov 3, 2008 at 17:36 Quote
dkidd wrote:
'07 codes had problems with the contact adjustment stripping and leaking fluid, but the new ones are fixed.
I run Code 5's on my Yeti. Best brakes I own by far. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a good FR/DH brake.
Good to hear. The ones im planning so far on buying are off pinkbike and they are the 2008 model so hopefully those dont have the same problem. I dont have the money for the elixer crs or the formula ones so i think im gonna stay with juicy 7s vs codes

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 at 17:42 Quote
i think steve smith used to run juicy 7s for racing so they prolly work well for racing. but then again he prolly had a new bleed b4 every race. i have code 7s from my sx trail and i love them. they arent fully worn in yet but so far have great modulation and power. the lever feels amazing and its just a really smooth brake. i wud maybe suggest a code 5 tho since u can save $120 on the set. u dont need the pad contact sdjust lever since another way to do it is take the wheel off, squeeze the lever a weee bit and the pistons will stay like that.

Posted: Nov 3, 2008 at 17:43 Quote
pake wrote:
i think steve smith used to run juicy 7s for racing so they prolly work well for racing. but then again he prolly had a new bleed b4 every race. i have code 7s from my sx trail and i love them. they arent fully worn in yet but so far have great modulation and power. the lever feels amazing and its just a really smooth brake. i wud maybe suggest a code 5 tho since u can save $120 on the set. u dont need the pad contact sdjust lever since another way to do it is take the wheel off, squeeze the lever a weee bit and the pistons will stay like that.
true but im getting a good deal on a set of 203mm codes anyways. (300 bucks for both front and rear)

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 at 17:49 Quote
norcofreeridderr wrote:
pake wrote:
true but im getting a good deal on a set of 203mm codes anyways. (300 bucks for both front and rear)

okay then do it cause codes are amazing. i dont think u wud find a better DH/FR brake out there

Posted: Nov 3, 2008 at 17:50 Quote
I'm not sure about the best FR/DH brake, but close to it. For $300 F&R, do it now.

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 at 17:53 Quote
merkel wrote:
I'm not sure about the best FR/DH brake, but close to it. For $300 F&R, do it now.

what wud u say is the best then. im just curious cause there a lot of brakes out there. and u wud have to have ridden them for this to count. i say

1. codes
2. formula the one
3. saint
4. juicy 7

Posted: Nov 3, 2008 at 17:56 Quote
I've ridden codes, and they're damn impressive, but I've heard they are definitely not the best. Apparently xtr's, saints and some hopes are better but that is not first hand experience.

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 at 18:02 Quote
oh yeah i forgot about hopes. its just that u think some get up to like 600 a set. like the mono m6. hahahahh its like 325 a brake i think

Posted: Nov 3, 2008 at 18:02 Quote
Guys at sun peaks told me that codes have good breaking power but bad durability or something like that. All the patrols got them, and they broke fast and stuff, so the patrols are really regretting it.

I tried a pair of Saints, and holy shit those were nice brakes. They were like heaven lol

Posted: Nov 3, 2008 at 19:09 Quote
See thats the thing that worries me. I dont want to buy them and have them brake mid season. They have 7 months left of warrenty so ill try to ride them a lot and make sure they hold up. Also, i heard the 2008 models are an improvement to the 2007 models. Thats always a hard thing to judge when talking to those people though because if they just beat their bikes to shit every time they ride, then i could see pretty much every part braking sooner or later.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010817
Mobile Version of Website