WasabiJim wrote:
me2menow wrote:
rich888 wrote:
its all about technique not the weight
dont say stupid things like that
its about both

there's no substitute for cubes...lol as my dad says referring to engine size
but in this case - as in cubic inches of iron hanging off the bar

technique demonstrates control and prevents injury but its overload that produces growth or performance improvement

for me going to the point of fatigue failure in 6-10 reps is a good indication that i over loading

Yawn, no one grows in the gym overload stimulates or tears the muscle and you grow when your asleep or resting and take proper nutrition, ive gone from 9" bicepts to 16" so i kinda know what im doing

Posted: Mar 9, 2011 at 2:25 Quote
rich888 wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:
me2menow wrote:
dont say stupid things like that
its about both

there's no substitute for cubes...lol as my dad says referring to engine size
but in this case - as in cubic inches of iron hanging off the bar

technique demonstrates control and prevents injury but its overload that produces growth or performance improvement

for me going to the point of fatigue failure in 6-10 reps is a good indication that i over loading

Yawn, no one grows in the gym overload stimulates or tears the muscle and you grow when your asleep or resting and take proper nutrition, ive gone from 9" bicepts to 16" so i kinda know what im doing

same i have gone from weedy 8" to 15" Smile

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 at 11:00 Quote
I'm sick and tired of reading about people that "know what they are doing" and understand how muscles grow because they have been working out since they were 10.

FACTS:

Bench press is an awesome compound exercise and if you think any differently you are an idiot

Bench press should be done as a free weight and machines are for Pussy's. (if your gym has machines and no free weights then leave!)

Every body is Different and what works for one person may not work for you, its horse s**t that one routine will rule them all!

Anyone that doesn't train legs will NEVER be big unless you take roids!!!

Supplements: Don't bother taking them if you ain't pushing the weight.

Why am I qualified to tell you these facts! I'm not but with a little research you will see no one is doing the same routine and no one can lift the weights for you. If you wanna get bigger, stronger and faster GO TRAIN for what you want!

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 at 11:23 Quote
Budlee wrote:
I'm sick and tired of reading about people that "know what they are doing" and understand how muscles grow because they have been working out since they were 10.

FACTS:

Bench press is an awesome compound exercise and if you think any differently you are an idiot

Bench press should be done as a free weight and machines are for Pussy's. (if your gym has machines and no free weights then leave!)

Every body is Different and what works for one person may not work for you, its horse s**t that one routine will rule them all!

Why am I qualified to tell you these facts! I'm not but with a little research you will see no one is doing the same routine and no one can lift the weights for you. If you wanna get bigger, stronger and faster GO TRAIN for what you want!

what i've learned in the past two years, along with what couple kinesiology-major friends have been talking about, pretty much goes with everything you've said. here's a couple tidbits that support your points...

-free weight exercises work on little stabilizer muscles everywhere that don't get worked on machines, if you bench a million on the smith machine and don't work on free weights, you're going to be mad sketch and wobbly when you do, say a dumbbell press or regular bench. free weight exercises give you much more real-life useful strength. however, some more advanced, modern machines are able to work your muscles in ways that free weights cannot. personally, i'm focussing on 90% free weights and 10% machines at the moment.

-everybody's skeletal structure and healing time is different, so yes some people may be able to up the weight really fast but if you're not as big boned, your joints will suffer if you go up like 10 pounds per exercise every single week. sure, your muscles will handle it, but you'll be done by age 40.

-that goes along with training differently, everyone has different starting points, some people are just genetically muscular, some are genetically lean, some are genetically fat. don't overwork yourself so you injure / tear your ligaments and whatnot. if you work out often enough and let your body recover, and keep going at it, you are going to see gains. just like biking, everyone progresses at different rates.

-training legs is extremely important for proper muscle balance. your glutes and quads are the biggest muscles in your body and training them for strength will kick your body into producing more testosterone, which will help you build muscle everywhere else as well. plus, you don't want to look like an idiot with a huge upper body and chicken legs. being on a biking forum, it's pretty safe for me to say training your entire body evenly is better for your riding.

the first year i hit the gym, i pretty much did no legs. i plateaued in my bench press, and i was just stuck at a particular weight for a looong time. started doing lots of deadlifts and squats. the result? i broke the plateau by quite a bit.

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 at 13:33 Quote
creamsoda wrote:
Budlee wrote:

FACTS:

what i've learned in the past two years, along with what couple kinesiology-major friends have been talking about, pretty much goes with everything you've said. here's a couple tidbits that support your points...

-free weight exercises work on little stabilizer muscles everywhere that don't get worked on machines, if you bench a million on the smith machine and don't work on free weights, you're going to be mad sketch and wobbly when you do, say a dumbbell press or regular bench. free weight exercises give you much more real-life useful strength. however, some more advanced, modern machines are able to work your muscles in ways that free weights cannot. personally, i'm focussing on 90% free weights and 10% machines at the moment.

-everybody's skeletal structure and healing time is different, so yes some people may be able to up the weight really fast but if you're not as big boned, your joints will suffer if you go up like 10 pounds per exercise every single week. sure, your muscles will handle it, but you'll be done by age 40.

-that goes along with training differently, everyone has different starting points, some people are just genetically muscular, some are genetically lean, some are genetically fat. don't overwork yourself so you injure / tear your ligaments and whatnot. if you work out often enough and let your body recover, and keep going at it, you are going to see gains. just like biking, everyone progresses at different rates.

-training legs is extremely important for proper muscle balance. your glutes and quads are the biggest muscles in your body and training them for strength will kick your body into producing more testosterone, which will help you build muscle everywhere else as well. plus, you don't want to look like an idiot with a huge upper body and chicken legs. being on a biking forum, it's pretty safe for me to say training your entire body evenly is better for your riding.

the first year i hit the gym, i pretty much did no legs. i plateaued in my bench press, and i was just stuck at a particular weight for a looong time. started doing lots of deadlifts and squats. the result? i broke the plateau by quite a bit.

your both right under different cercumstancesSmile like said, it all depends on your body type/structure/build, everyone should just stop arguing about it and get on with training. ive been training for a year now and can only bench press 60 on my max rep, but thats simply because i have a verry week chest, whereas someone else might have a stronger chest.

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 at 17:42 Quote
I rep 225 24 times and max out with 335 @ 162 lbs bodyweight

Posted: Mar 27, 2011 at 19:57 Quote
bouncer666 wrote:

lol.

Posted: Mar 28, 2011 at 14:16 Quote
Graphxxx wrote:
bouncer666 wrote:

lol.
How is that funny?

Posted: Mar 28, 2011 at 16:45 Quote
Because i don't believe you one bit. I have yet to meet someone under 170 who could bench 225 with ease. Nevermind sets of 24 reps. I've been working out for over a year, i'm quite strong on the bench, but no where near capable of being able to bench 225 for 24 reps.

I'd need to see a video, otherwise, you're full of shit.

Posted: Mar 28, 2011 at 18:09 Quote
Graphxxx wrote:
Because i don't believe you one bit. I have yet to meet someone under 170 who could bench 225 with ease. Nevermind sets of 24 reps. I've been working out for over a year, i'm quite strong on the bench, but no where near capable of being able to bench 225 for 24 reps.

I'm posting A vid right now. I train with world record powerlifter Homi shivae at gold gym marin. I'm currently 164 5'3" deadlift 445 and was squatting 440. I dont have an super recent videos but i'll post a couple. I have been plagued with injuries from biking and lifting combined.
Here I am july 2010 when I first broke 300lbs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9nHofvoK5A
Here I am more recent using mark bell's "slingshot" with 335 for 3 reps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGu3dqZahm8
After using the slingshot for a few months my body adapted to using the weight and i was able to press it freely.
here is 15 reps in august of 2009 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1HJdeE1uP0&feature=related
I dont have a video camera anymore so Its rare I post a new vid. I will try and post some more current vidz
If the links dont work then Copy and paste them into your browser and search.

Posted: Mar 28, 2011 at 18:15 Quote
this is me pulling 405 in 2009 when i was 17 i was getting 445ish more currently. I dont do heavy squat bench or deadlifts anymore though. again if the links isn't working then copy and paste into the browser search or look up my old youtube channel. Vmatt123

Posted: Mar 28, 2011 at 18:18 Quote
Graphxxx wrote:

Oh BTW I pressed 225 13 times on incline bench today after flat bench, dumbbell incline and flyes. I am by no means that strong as far as powerlifters go. Look up some of the raw records and see how much weight they do. teens in the 148 lb class pressing in the 300's easy.

Posted: Mar 28, 2011 at 18:50 Quote
world record LBMS???

Posted: Mar 28, 2011 at 19:25 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
world record LBMS???
I dont quite understand your question. Lean bodymass sumthinsumthin? are you asking what it is? for what lift and what weight?

Posted: Mar 29, 2011 at 12:06 Quote
legiiiiitt.

there's a little asian guy at my gym who weighs 140ish and max benches 270. we've seen him rep 225 and he does that with ease and saw him do at least 15 reps. insane. and he's not only upper body, we've seen him squat multiple plates too. problem is, he was talking to my friend that lifting that heavy at his weight is taking a toll on his knees, ankles and other joints.

it's all to do with how light/thin your bone structure is, and how much of your body weight is muscle. shorter/skinnier guys who start out at like 110 pounds and then put on 40 pounds of pure muscle tend to blow people's minds, but they really are pushing the limits of their skeletal structure, no matter how good their form is.

i'm still at 145, maxing 200 bench and deadlifting at 300 x 4.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017143
Mobile Version of Website