Sram XX

• Previous Page
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 4:43 Quote
The rumour have just started about what Sram will offer in 2010. Have a look at this paper from Bike radar to have some more information. Sounds like the manufacturer are starting a real battle now! Click here to read the article.

FL
Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 8:11 Quote
oh man, i need to start saving up now, that sounds absolutely epic, im thinking xx group and a salsa selma...Big Grin

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 15:47 Quote
I can't wait to see the first picture of it! For now, we can only speculate about what could be the next group... Also, the first Zipp (or Sram, whatever...) MTB wheelset will hopefully be as nice as what they do with their road wheelset...

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 17:30 Quote
sounds good so far. i don't see whats the point of a 10 speed drive train though. 9 is almost too much, especially with 3 rings up front. they would have to make them really close together too or else they might not fit some frames. sounds pretty risky.

carbon is nice, hopefully they don't go too out on the SID, they already feel like they could break every time you make a mistake. SRAM really wants to own the market though in 2009 with the 2010 stuff though lol . first the new boxXer and now this. sounds like 2010 is going to be a good year.

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 17:32 Quote
The running theme from using the 10 speed rear is that you could drop one of the front chainrings and find a happy medium with two.

They have to beat Shimano, hence the timing. It was only a matter of time. Don't think it'll come over to DH/FR. Although wouldn't mind getting a 6-speed set up from the factory.

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 18:27 Quote
sweet, super-narrow chains, very close together cassettes.

Also Hammershmidt and this would be kinda cool.

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 18:30 Quote
pyre wrote:
sweet, super-narrow chains, very close together cassettes.

Also Hammershmidt and this would be kinda cool.

if you had super narrow chains, you would probably need to run a special Sram chainring(s) tighter cassettes will probably mean new derailleurs. so pretty much, if it did happen, you need to run a full SRAM XX transmission, which will cost you a hole heck of a lot.

all i'm seeing now with this is a hole lot of compatibility problems, weak parts because they over did it with weight loss.

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 18:33 Quote
A road chain and a road cassette seems to be the order of the day. 10 gear mountain sounds like a decent idea.

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 at 18:34 Quote
This will be an all new drivetrain. This will be separate from XO. It is coming from the road side of Sram.

Posted: Nov 14, 2008 at 2:50 Quote
odin333 wrote:
sounds good so far. i don't see whats the point of a 10 speed drive train though. 9 is almost too much, especially with 3 rings up front. they would have to make them really close together too or else they might not fit some frames. sounds pretty risky.

I agree about the fact that 3x10 sounds risky... However, the rumour is about a 2x10 dedicated to cross-country racer with a 29-42 chainrings...

Posted: Nov 14, 2008 at 13:38 Quote
I can see the advantage for XC racers as they rarely ever shift up front anyways, so this will give them a better range in the rear, with less to worry about up front.

Although it is going to have to be a wonky front deraileur/shifter to move from a 29 to a 42 tooth front ring with one click of the shifter.

FL
Posted: Nov 14, 2008 at 13:54 Quote
pyre wrote:
I can see the advantage for XC racers as they rarely ever shift up front anyways, so this will give them a better range in the rear, with less to worry about up front.

Although it is going to have to be a wonky front deraileur/shifter to move from a 29 to a 42 tooth front ring with one click of the shifter.

that would be a really big jump from the 29-42 however i think they could figure a way to do it. what is the gearing on two chain ring road bikes? inst it about 29-42?

Posted: Nov 14, 2008 at 14:04 Quote
yeah that is true, usually something like a 39 to a 50 of sorts. So yeah nevermind this shouldn't be too big of a problem.

Posted: Nov 14, 2008 at 14:19 Quote
Before everyone gets a bunch of rumors up and lets the SRAM marketing hype hit hard once again, remember these are only speculations, none of this is guaranteed. For all we know it could just be re-branded SRAM Red parts with a few bulkier areas.

SRAM hype actually annoys me, I must have seen 10+ front page articles about the 2009 Boxxer on this site alone, even more so on the Hammerschmidt, Elixr too (did they really need 2 different articles to explain one then copy & paste the same to another but skip out the contact adjust bit?) and it goes on, SRAM are still the newbie and have a few creases to iron out, but once they do iron out the creases I expect to see brilliant things from them, maybe this is one... They have made some truly awesome steps so far.

Posted: Nov 14, 2008 at 16:42 Quote
dh-pete wrote:
Before everyone gets a bunch of rumors up and lets the SRAM marketing hype hit hard once again, remember these are only speculations, none of this is guaranteed. For all we know it could just be re-branded SRAM Red parts with a few bulkier areas.

SRAM hype actually annoys me, I must have seen 10+ front page articles about the 2009 Boxxer on this site alone, even more so on the Hammerschmidt, Elixr too (did they really need 2 different articles to explain one then copy & paste the same to another but skip out the contact adjust bit?) and it goes on, SRAM are still the newbie and have a few creases to iron out, but once they do iron out the creases I expect to see brilliant things from them, maybe this is one... They have made some truly awesome steps so far.

I don't think there is any Sram's hype. It's simply amazing to see a real competition between Shimano and Sram! I can wait to know how the Sram X0 gonna evolve to be honest. About the Boxxer, it's again the same thing. Except for the Manitou Dorado, Rock Shox it the first to propose a brand new platform of its downhill fork. I'm pretty sure that the next Fox 40 gonna benefit the exact same coverage...

Don't take it too seriously but I have also heard about Sram introducing a double-tap for mountain bike which could be a serious contender to the Shimano's dual-control...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011640
Mobile Version of Website