Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 15:13 Quote
Awesome post! You see so many ppl riding nice bikes but are slow because they have no clue what to do when it comes to tuning them. Thanks for helping to make this a faster sport.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 15:56 Quote
Frumpy-Housewife wrote:
Good point CTD07, I was mainly concerned that if they are both removed then the spring would be sitting directly under the top cap, which I wasn't sure if it's meant to or not.

I remember when I purchased my STP, the Argyle 318 came with a couple of similar ones that were in with the booklet. I didn't keep the fork so never got to experiment with them. Lol being used to seeing travel spacers for a tora I was kind of puzzled how they could do much. It does make a bit of sense now though - you only do a few turns of preload at the most for a coil shock so I guess the small spacers would equate to that for a coil fork, well particularly for one that doesn't have any sort of preload adjustment knob.

The sag is better with the softer spring. I'll have to get a few rides in before I think about taking the spacers out. I guess it will depend on how much travel I'm using.
you may find it will take up to 6 months of frequent use to wear in your seals and bushings on your Domains before they freely compress to their proper sag level and work well on stutter bumps - that's how long it took with mine!Confused

I'm going to change the oil to slightly lower weight in the compression circuit and put some new seals on them soon, they should work a treat thenBig Grin

O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 14:08 Quote
After being asked many times at the shop, I would like to clarify:

Low speed damping or high speed damping refer to the speed of the suspension, not necessarily the speed of the rider.

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2009 at 12:35 Quote
I have a fox rp2 air shock and was wondering how much PSI i would need. I am about 115 pounds. The shock is on a medium 08 kona coilair

Posted: Feb 1, 2009 at 16:54 Quote
crazyarmybeaver wrote:
I have a fox rp2 air shock and was wondering how much PSI i would need. I am about 115 pounds. The shock is on a medium 08 kona coilair
just go by trial and error - get a shock pump, pump up your shock and then measure sag - reduce or increase pressure accordingly until you get to your desired sag level...

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2009 at 17:00 Quote
ctd07 wrote:
crazyarmybeaver wrote:
just go by trial and error - get a shock pump, pump up your shock and then measure sag - reduce or increase pressure accordingly until you get to your desired sag level...

Yes - you know the stroke length, so just find whatever percentage sag you want.

i.e. 2" shock stroke * 30% sag = .6" (15mm) sag. So, now you set the air pressure so that with you in your appropriate riding position, the O-ring on the rear shock moves down 15mm.

The Magic Link setup guide tells you the rest of the procedure for that bike, as well as it will give pressure guidelines. If you do exactly what they say, the bike will feel pretty good - pumping it a little in the driveway won't do it justice, so you have to ride it on the trail to really evaluate how it feels.

Posted: Feb 2, 2009 at 14:24 Quote
Mountain bikers, especially racers owe it to themselves to send in their rear shocks to James at Suspensionwerx.com. No, I don't represent SW or anything, but after getting some work done over the years by James Downing, and now just getting a Swinger 6 Way re-valved, his work is second to none. People (myself included) think they know a lot about suspension, but really, once you get your shock back from him you'll be blown away at the difference, and shocked at how little you actually know.

I sent him my 6 Way for some love and he sends back a shock with the SPV valve removed and a shim stack in place of it. This shock is now better than when it was new.

For the price, you can't beat it. You can have suspension that easily rivals what the World Cup guys are running. No shit. Since he used to work as a team mechanic for the Haro WC team you know you're getting the best.

The single best upgrade you can do your bike.

Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 0:04 Quote
DrSanchez wrote:
Mountain bikers, especially racers owe it to themselves to send in their rear shocks to James at Suspensionwerx.com. No, I don't represent SW or anything, but after getting some work done over the years by James Downing, and now just getting a Swinger 6 Way re-valved, his work is second to none. People (myself included) think they know a lot about suspension, but really, once you get your shock back from him you'll be blown away at the difference, and shocked at how little you actually know.

I sent him my 6 Way for some love and he sends back a shock with the SPV valve removed and a shim stack in place of it. This shock is now better than when it was new.

For the price, you can't beat it. You can have suspension that easily rivals what the World Cup guys are running. No shit. Since he used to work as a team mechanic for the Haro WC team you know you're getting the best.

agreed but here instead.http://www.tftuned.com/

well for the uk anyways.

Posted: Feb 23, 2009 at 12:47 Quote
hey i have drop off triples 06 and one of the stantion where the seal is its leaking oil so do u think i need a new seal (if so how much are they) or could there be somthing stuck in it and how much will oil be for my forks thanks alot
mike

Posted: Feb 24, 2009 at 7:06 Quote
mike12392 wrote:
hey i have drop off triples 06 and one of the stantion where the seal is its leaking oil so do u think i need a new seal (if so how much are they) or could there be somthing stuck in it and how much will oil be for my forks thanks alot
mike

You need a new seal and oil. If you take it into a shop (which you should) i will be around 50 - 80 dollars.

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 16:09 Quote
BigRidah wrote:
mike12392 wrote:
mike

You need a new seal and oil. If you take it into a shop (which you should) i will be around 50 - 80 dollars.
i called them and they want 80 for seals and another 90 for installation i said screw that i found a site that has these endero seals for 23 bucks

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 16:49 Quote
$80 for seals and $90 for installation????? Jesus man, this is when you step up and learn how to do it yourself. There are lots of resources on the internets, so giv'er!

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 16:53 Quote
don't mean to whine, but this is starting to not really be relevant to the thread, its about setting/tuning up your suspension, there are no doubt many other threads where maintainence issues can be discussed, if not go to the 'mtb quick questions' thread - just want to keep this thread on track as a useful resource that's all!Smile

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 at 17:42 Quote
DrSanchez wrote:

Also, if you have a 5th element shock (essentially the same as the swinger 6 ways), you can do the same conversion to go from a platform, position sensitive damper to a speed sensitive damper, and on top of that, change the shaft out for a chromed one from the swinger/metel series, and replace the main oil seal for a Buna N or Viton (70 on the duro) and you will have yet another shock that can walk all over the competition.

There's lots of guys out there besides these companies that know suspension.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020026
Mobile Version of Website