Show us your colour combinations any bike welcome

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Show us your colour combinations any bike welcome
Posted: Dec 29, 2016 at 13:20 Quote
If you remove stickers of the frequency team i25 rims and put some blue or red coloured nipples on them with the hub's of your choice, would look good. I purchased a set of 650b Wtb frequency team i25 rims,( removed stickers looks 100% better)on dt Swiss 350 hubs , got option of coloured nipples , chose green as got green forks. Hope this helps

Posted: Dec 29, 2016 at 13:38 Quote
green bike being green. few newish different bits
Octane one void 3.0 Rockshox solo air Pike sektor hybrid Octane one solar pro Halo combat Dartmoor Revolt non-disc DMR revolver Sram X1 w Blackspire snaggletooth Dartmoor swing high NS quantum Geax booze lights Deity compounds Cheapass seat combo.
I'm pretty happy with my coloured rims. Next frame will be black.
I've had my white fork crown taped over with gorilla tape for the past year, never looked amazing but now it's pretty raggedy. I'd rather not paint it, thinking about some vinyl wrap, anyone done a fork before? The paint on the lowers is pretty f*cked so I might do them too

Posted: Dec 29, 2016 at 14:23 Quote
Vinyl wrapping can be a pain. Plus because it's not a panel like on a car you'll have margins wherever there is a join. You're probably better off to paint them, just prep and don't half ass it and it should look decent.

Posted: Dec 29, 2016 at 14:31 Quote
A few of my friends have tried it with generally shitty results, but that's on frames with wields and tight bits. I figured with some patience and a decent hair drier I could get a decent job done.

Has anyone painted a crown before? wondering how you get a good edge where it meets the stanchions without risking scratching them

Posted: Dec 29, 2016 at 16:19 Quote
seraph wrote:
On all of the forums? Really? That's just a f*cking stupid statement. I guarantee that the large majority of key users (i.e. not 14 year olds) would agree that colored rims generally look bad.

I see it the other way around. Black looks like you got a Walmart bike and peeled the stickers off. That's fine if you like black. But it doesn't mean colour is cheap. Just means your a fan of cookie cutters.

Posted: Dec 29, 2016 at 19:16 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
thinking about some vinyl wrap, anyone done a fork before? The paint on the lowers is pretty f*cked so I might do them too

Do you have a product called Plastidip? Liquid vinyl you can spray.. basic colors, some bright colors, but peelable

Posted: Dec 29, 2016 at 23:58 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
A few of my friends have tried it with generally shitty results, but that's on frames with wields and tight bits. I figured with some patience and a decent hair drier I could get a decent job done.

Has anyone painted a crown before? wondering how you get a good edge where it meets the stanchions without risking scratching them

Use an old tube over the stanchions. If you remove it in a timely manor, masking tape is fine to tape the tube to the stanchion.
Plasti-Dip is easy to use, but if you get it near any taped edge it has to be peeled and reapplied so the dip doesn't adhere to itself.

Posted: Dec 30, 2016 at 2:14 Quote
Doggin wrote:
seraph wrote:
On all of the forums? Really? That's just a f*cking stupid statement. I guarantee that the large majority of key users (i.e. not 14 year olds) would agree that colored rims generally look bad.

I see it the other way around. Black looks like you got a Walmart bike and peeled the stickers off. That's fine if you like black. But it doesn't mean colour is cheap. Just means your a fan of cookie cutters.

Black is clean. Color is garish. Generally speaking, of course. As stated before, there are some nice colored rims out there. The offerings from NS are pretty sweet. But they're also garish as hell. They stand out like a sore thumb. Black is smooth and svelte. It allows the use of more subtle color accents elsewhere, like the hubs and nipples. IMO color matched hubs and nipples look a lot better on a wheel than colored rims. But that's just my $0.02

Posted: Dec 30, 2016 at 3:12 Quote
Friend of mine plasti dipped his DH bike, even with a clear coat I think it lasted two months. By the end of the season it was peeling off all over the place. I guess as it's easy to remove and reapply it could be worth it...

I'll have a think, thanks for the advice!

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 at 5:39 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
Friend of mine plasti dipped his DH bike, even with a clear coat I think it lasted two months. By the end of the season it was peeling off all over the place. I guess as it's easy to remove and reapply it could be worth it...

I'll have a think, thanks for the advice!
This is me. Remember i did a shit job lol

The parts that were adequately coated actually held up really well, and the thicker the layer is, the easier it is to remove when you want it off

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 at 14:33 Quote
Layer??? Plasti-Dip, or other brands, should have a minimum of four layers. I've mainly dipped car parts, but my dipped bike held up for 3+ years with minimal tears. The repair and re apply is stupidly simple too. The instructions on the can are not actually the best way to apply it tho.

Posted: Jan 2, 2017 at 16:38 Quote
photo

This is MY NS Majesty build.

Posted: Jan 29, 2017 at 1:46 Quote
BSal wrote:
seraph wrote:
BSal wrote:
Colored rims can look great, if done right. Don't rule it out.

This claim needs examples.

Here are some that I like.
NS Majesty 2012 Rock Shox Argyle RCT 2013 Hope X2 2013 Hope Pro 2 Evo Octane One
Ns Bikes Majesty Rock Shox Argyle RCT Ns Bikes District Ns Bikes Quantum Shadow Grande Odi Longneck ST TRP Dash Carbon Wethepeople Socket Wethepeople Smuggler Octane One 2PCS Pro Octane One External BB clat Vent Shadow Interlock v2 Ns Bikes Ariel Pro Ns Bikes Rotary 20 Ns Bikes Rotary Single Ns Bikes Enigma DT Rubena Freeride Maxxis DTH
Blk Mrkt Mob Marzocchi 4X RC3 Pimp Lite Wheel set Gravity light bars pedals and stem.
Few more bits to go on like black pedals and a tensioner. But it s looking the part.
photo
now with saint brakes reverse seat carbon post and superstar mag pedals making a very trim 43.4lbs
photo

Miss a month, miss a lot I guess. Might as well chime in since two of my bikes were included here. Well it's all a matter of opinion of course with the colored rims and spokes. From my observations being in the bike world for some time, I would say that it seems the opinions are pretty even for the yay or nay......I just think people have a hard time committing to a large amount of color like on a rim that is part of a wheelbuild which is an expensive component of a bike build so you don't see it done as equally in relation to how many people actually do like them. In my world, I know that I try to make my builds different from the rest to stay away from the cookie cutter stuff out there, i.e. the murdered out Ticket Slope with the white walls. But hey,....I even went with only color in the hubs on my Pride Street like has been mentioned here, when shit works, it works. Didn't do the colored nips, I threw a few colored spokes in there to match the hub in the rear to be a bit original but I'm about to take those out, because they just aren't doing it for me, so I will be joining the cookie cutter club with that one. With my Soda Slope and the tremendous amount of blue and white I put in it, that was on purpose-especially the spokes because people don't mess with those as often, just wanted it to be in your face because of all the blue and white painted graphics that NS already slapped on the frame so I just felt like continuing that theme.....I do get a lot of compliments on the Soda when I'm out, that's for sure, hahaa. Did up the spokes on my Vimana Slope as well but tried to mix them better and toned the overall build on that one down a bit with a good amount of black, including the rims.....but still not cookie cutter so I think it worked out in the vision I had. Anyway whatever, build what you want......even if it's cookie cutter, hahaa.

Oh, as for colored spokes looking hella cheap, you might want to let i9 in on that.

Posted: Jan 29, 2017 at 6:40 Quote
Draggon wrote:
BSal wrote:
seraph wrote:

NS Majesty 2012 Rock Shox Argyle RCT 2013 Hope X2 2013 Hope Pro 2 Evo Octane One
Ns Bikes Majesty Rock Shox Argyle RCT Ns Bikes District Ns Bikes Quantum Shadow Grande Odi Longneck ST TRP Dash Carbon Wethepeople Socket Wethepeople Smuggler Octane One 2PCS Pro Octane One External BB clat Vent Shadow Interlock v2 Ns Bikes Ariel Pro Ns Bikes Rotary 20 Ns Bikes Rotary Single Ns Bikes Enigma DT Rubena Freeride Maxxis DTH
Blk Mrkt Mob Marzocchi 4X RC3 Pimp Lite Wheel set Gravity light bars pedals and stem.
Few more bits to go on like black pedals and a tensioner. But it s looking the part.
photo
now with saint brakes reverse seat carbon post and superstar mag pedals making a very trim 43.4lbs
photo

Miss a month, miss a lot I guess. Might as well chime in since two of my bikes were included here. Well it's all a matter of opinion of course with the colored rims and spokes. From my observations being in the bike world for some time, I would say that it seems the opinions are pretty even for the yay or nay......I just think people have a hard time committing to a large amount of color like on a rim that is part of a wheelbuild which is an expensive component of a bike build so you don't see it done as equally in relation to how many people actually do like them. In my world, I know that I try to make my builds different from the rest to stay away from the cookie cutter stuff out there, i.e. the murdered out Ticket Slope with the white walls. But hey,....I even went with only color in the hubs on my Pride Street like has been mentioned here, when shit works, it works. Didn't do the colored nips, I threw a few colored spokes in there to match the hub in the rear to be a bit original but I'm about to take those out, because they just aren't doing it for me, so I will be joining the cookie cutter club with that one. With my Soda Slope and the tremendous amount of blue and white I put in it, that was on purpose-especially the spokes because people don't mess with those as often, just wanted it to be in your face because of all the blue and white painted graphics that NS already slapped on the frame so I just felt like continuing that theme.....I do get a lot of compliments on the Soda when I'm out, that's for sure, hahaa. Did up the spokes on my Vimana Slope as well but tried to mix them better and toned the overall build on that one down a bit with a good amount of black, including the rims.....but still not cookie cutter so I think it worked out in the vision I had. Anyway whatever, build what you want......even if it's cookie cutter, hahaa.

Oh, as for colored spokes looking hella cheap, you might want to let i9 in on that.

I think I9 wheels look cheap, and also bad because of their oversized spokes. Also they have the smallest, most unreliable bearings in their hubs. Poor longevity.

Posted: Jan 29, 2017 at 22:22 Quote
Draggon wrote:
BSal wrote:
seraph wrote:

photo
photo

I like my spokes like I like my coffee

Bloody raw

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.033781
Mobile Version of Website