Rocky Mountain Slayer Broken Frame - Photos Updated!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Rocky Mountain Slayer Broken Frame - Photos Updated!
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 at 18:38 Quote
thrice wrote:
photo

photo

----hmmm deja vu this happened to me today...Cry

photo

Posted: Jun 9, 2009 at 18:39 Quote
lefrog101 wrote:

----hmmm deja vu this happened to me today...Cry

photo

That sucks. Hopefully they dont give you as much crap as they did him!

Posted: Jun 9, 2009 at 18:48 Quote
haha wow. rm needs to step up

Posted: Jun 9, 2009 at 18:57 Quote
That sucks. Hopefully they dont give you as much crap as they did him![/Quote]

yes...big time Madder ....and yeah, i hope everything will go smoothly....

i did my homework this evening...
found the addresses and phone numbers of the Rocky mountain offices in Vancouver and St-Georges de Beauce,Québe(Procycle)
i did not know that Procycle owns RM.
was not able to reach my lbs this evening....

we will see tomorrow....illkeep u posted...

O+
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 at 20:14 Quote
Hey lefrog, I work at a Rocky dealer, and warranty should be no issue as long as you're the original purchaser. It should be really really easy - if it's not then try calling Rocky direct, but I would let the LBS do the work for you.

Edit: The other thing to keep in mind is that every bike (or mechanical system, for that matter) has a weak link where failures tend to occur.

Posted: Jun 9, 2009 at 20:23 Quote
hustler wrote:
Hey lefrog, I work at a Rocky dealer, and warranty should be no issue as long as you're the original purchaser. It should be really really easy - if it's not then try calling Rocky direct, but I would let the LBS do the work for you.

thanks....that is great to hear...i gotta say that i have a feeling that(and i did not start my calls) that rocky mountain and my lbs will be very helpfull, we will see....and yes, i am the original purchaser...receipt and everything...

quick question...i changed the original fork...and i heard this could cause me problems for the warranty...?

and since u work at a dealer....what will they do....try to fix it...replace it...? and if replace it....
what model and year will they offer

and fyi..its an 06 model, bought june 2007...

thanks

O+
Posted: Jun 9, 2009 at 21:17 Quote
You will probably get a replacement swingarm, if I'm looking at the picture correctly. Your fork should have nothing to do with this. If you're handy with bike tools and want to grease the wheels of the bike warranty machine it might not hurt to disassemble the bike as completely as you can, and bring the bare frame into the shop. If you do this, take the derailleur hanger off before taking it into the shop, as the new swingarm will come with a new hanger. This way you have a spare for free!

Posted: Jun 9, 2009 at 22:47 Quote
If the fork has more travel than what the bike originally came with. It could be a problem. (Original travel is at 150mm I think)

Still, I don't think they will need a picture of the entire bike. You'r LBS/authorized dealer should be able to sort that out, and if their cool, they won't give you any problems.

Also, I wouldn't suggest that you don't do any of the dissasembly and/or assembly yourself as you could be held responsible. But then again, I'm no expert.

By the way, how did it happen?

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 6:04 Quote
thrice wrote:
If the fork has more travel than what the bike originally came with. It could be a problem. (Original travel is at 150mm I think)

Still, I don't think they will need a picture of the entire bike. You'r LBS/authorized dealer should be able to sort that out, and if their cool, they won't give you any problems.

Also, I wouldn't suggest that you don't do any of the dissasembly and/or assembly yourself as you could be held responsible. But then again, I'm no expert.

By the way, how did it happen?

-----------------------------------------

thanks for all the info Hustler....ill start the process this morning with my lbs....

hey Thrice, thanks for all the grat info in your pm...that will be helpfull

it had to be previously cracked and i did not see it or looked before yesterday's ride....i was on my way to the local trails...i live 5 mins from a national park....on my way there...i was on the sidewalk....stepped down from it...wich is what...half a foot...??
and i heard the most un-cool sound i have ever heard...it had to be cracked before...

when looking at it closely...it broke the 2 top ''bridges'' and more then half of the 2 bottom ones are cracked...

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 6:08 Quote
whoa, i know a guy that put fox 40's on one an does DH with it, it hasnt broke yet, i'll warn him Confused

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 7:30 Quote
If you sheared your headtube, then the fork might make a difference. Where that cracked, the fork really has nothing to do with it.

In terms of disassembly I was suggesting that the less there is for the bike shop to do, the faster it will get sent to Rocky, and the faster you will get a frame/frame components back. If you can't get it apart without scratching the shit out of it and wrecking stuff, it's better left to professionals.

On the other hand if you're going to take it apart, or even just bring it in for the bike shop it should be washed and cleaned as well as possible. I see a lot more warranty claims denied for dirty bikes, because they look abused perhaps even more or less than they really are. I have talked to a few warranty guys at a good number of distributors and they hate getting dirty stuff, and are people just like any of us.

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 7:43 Quote
lefrog: No problem. It happened the same with mine. It was off some stupid step. So it was obviously cracked before too. Funny how they broke in the exact same place.

tyreburningbiker: I also put a 40 on my Slayer at some point. It really didn´t rake it too much. Pictures are on my profile. Now it has an 180mm Marzo 66 and I do downhill with it. The angles are a bit slacker because of it.

The bike has broken twice since I had longer a longer fork on it. Don´t know if its because of the fork or not. I know hustler claims longer than recomended forks only make for failures in the head tube, but when the angles on a bike are pushed back, stress is placed on places where it did not have it before. For example the seat tube. With a bigger fork its leaned back a bit more, therefore your weight puts more leverage on it than when it was straighter up with steeper angles.

Still, to be fair, the bike has worked perfectly for 6 months. The aluminum of the new rear swingarm and new front triangle are definetly stronger and thicker. It can be felt right away. And they gave me Slayer SXC stickers Razz

Edit: My bike shop says its just a matter of time before it brakes again and suggest that I sell it and get a new bike, but I like how it rides too much. I guess I will just ride it till it brakes. We´ll see.

Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 7:50 Quote
On the other hand if you're going to take it apart, or even just bring it in for the bike shop it should be washed and cleaned as well as possible. I see a lot more warranty claims denied for dirty bikes, because they look abused perhaps even more or less than they really are. I have talked to a few warranty guys at a good number of distributors and they hate getting dirty stuff, and are people just like any of us.[/Quote]

great point, makes a lot os senses.....i will wash it quickly before sending it out....
i was gonna disamble it on my side....but i might just bring it in and pay for a tune-up one rebuilt....and btw, thanks for all your great inputs..
quick question...and it`s a bit corny but i worked hard to match my bike all in blue and white....is there a chance that they will have the same colour(06 model) or only offer me a yellow, orange or pink rear triangle...??
and is there a way...(because i would like to upgrade the rear shock to the DHX 4.0)....do u know if i could pay the difference on a higher end model..such as the SS, 2009 slayer sxc 70 or SE...?

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2009 at 7:51 Quote
thrice wrote:
lefrog: No problem. It happened the same with mine. It was off some stupid step. So it was obviously cracked before too. Funny how they broke in the exact same place.

tyreburningbiker: I also put a 40 on my Slayer at some point. It really didn´t rake it too much. Pictures are on my profile. Now it has an 180mm Marzo 66 and I do downhill with it. The angles are a bit slacker because of it.

The bike has broken twice since I had longer a longer fork on it. Don´t know if its because of the fork or not. I know hustler claims longer than recomended forks only make for failures in the head tube, but when the angles on a bike are pushed back, stress is placed on places where it did not have it before. For example the seat tube. With a bigger fork its leaned back a bit more, therefore your weight puts more leverage on it than when it was straighter up with steeper angles.

Still, to be fair, the bike has worked perfectly for 6 months. The aluminum of the new rear swingarm and new front triangle are definetly stronger and thicker. It can be felt right away. And they gave me Slayer SXC stickers Razz

Edit: My bike shop says its just a matter of time before it brakes again and suggest that I sell it and get a new bike, but I like how it rides too much. I guess I will just ride it till it brakes. We´ll see.

I have seen a few crack there, I think its design rather than the fork length. What fork went on it as a replacement? Dealing with Rocky Mtn in Canada means sending the broken part or frame back to Rocky where they take a look at it and assess the validity of a warranty claim. Since they will never see the complete bike you can only present the care and maintenance of the frame through its' general cleanliness and appearance. Peel off all the non-factory stickers too. They won't send a pink swingarm or anything like that - usually replacement ones are black, if not the factory colour.

Thrice: The new Flatlines are much lighter than the older style ones and might be worth a look. I was pleasantly surprised by the weight.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021140
Mobile Version of Website