What do your parents/friends not understand about bikes?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What do your parents/friends not understand about bikes?
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 14:20 Quote
then it wasnt real DH...

addressed to bunky

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 14:21 Quote
i managed to bend my forks and my dad got it into his head that they came like that pureley caz he thought mine were fine when they were obviousley bent to f*ck!!!!! Big Grin

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 14:26 Quote
i have dented my rear rim in 6 places and my dad says aslong as its not square it will roll fine!

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 14:30 Quote
marinrockyridge wrote:
i have dented my rear rim in 6 places and my dad says aslong as its not square it will roll fine!

hes right, itll still roll fine.... but yeah itll be shit

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 14:32 Quote
Well, my dad rides as well so he knows everything but my mom doesnt understand what the difference is on wal mart bikes and the bikes me and my dad rides, haha, she thinks its stupid to spend as much as we do on bikes and bike parts

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 14:33 Quote
My dad used to race track and fixed road (long time ago). We have ridiculously involved arguments about gear ratios. He doesn't see the advantage of quick acceleration... but is too old for us to race to prove who's right.

And he doesn't get freeride at all, I don't push that one.

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 14:33 Quote
this is direcred to imspecialized9.
i no it runs but u no what i mean.

FL
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 14:36 Quote
haha i had this problem until last night! for my dads birthday i bought him a frame so he went to the bike shop with a list of stuff he needed for it and ended up getting excited and came home with £60 worth of gear lol and all he got was seat, seatpost, seat clamp and rear hanger! lol now he says i spend too little!

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 14:52 Quote
bunkey0207 wrote:
my parents dont understand why my trials bike has no seat, and why i get knarked about leaving my bearing loaded dh bike in the cold, damp shed; and why my trials bike lives in my bedroom, and why i need wider bars on my dh bike (currently 720mm, and the grips are buggered so i cant rock any bar-ends = no racing).

And mostly, why i prioritise biking over school.

you cant race in england if you dont have bar ends?

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 15:00 Quote
stryke wrote:
you cant race in england if you dont have bar ends?

nope, at least for most races. can't risk them massive holes if you stack it...very good idea IMO

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 15:54 Quote
stprider16 wrote:
unclebones wrote:
I know your parents can get annoying but remember they come from a time were bike parts were cheap and people were actually doing downhill on there XC bikes.

but times have changed, now you ride down a mountain on a bike thats made for going down it not up it

Yes times have but its most likely that they ("they" being your parents) havent changed much at all, i can also understand parents not liking bikes and bike parts being expensive as i think it sucks, sure its worthit but it leavs you with next to no $$. So please dont rip up your parents on this forum too much as they are annoying but they're just trying to look out for youSmile

FL
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 15:55 Quote
all i can say is my mum and dad are both doctors so they know how to patch me back up!

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 15:58 Quote
What do your parents not understand about bikes? how much it means to me and the people on pinkbike.

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 15:59 Quote
although my parents can b annoying, they r great, my mum and dad drive me to trails more than 45 mins away! To get my bike fixed and serviced my mum spent 5 hours in the car 2 weeks ago and my dad spent 7 hours helping me build my track, great parents if u ask me! love em to bits.

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 16:00 Quote
my parents dont understand replacing parts, so i got banned from buying anything new for a year and that lasted like a month

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.029860
Mobile Version of Website