Avid code brakes

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Avid code brakes
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 14:47 Quote
iv been hearing some rumors that they randomly suck in air and get air bubbles alot and i have them on my new foes

so whats going on here it is true or just a bunch of bs

cause if its true im going with the new strokers

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 14:49 Quote
keep the codes lol i have 2007 avid codes and love them... air bubbles? i havnt heard that or noticed it. and honestly hayes is absolute shit. i have used the strokers and used to own al caminos and hated both of them especially the al caminos they suck.

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 14:51 Quote
avid codes are awesome dh brakes, some of the best, but you do need 2 re-blead them every month or 2, ya win some ya lose some, cant get the best outtah everything, so if you want awesome brakes you gottah maintain them. DO NOT GET THE NEW HAYES BRAKES, there dump an there hayes which says it all

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 14:52 Quote
iv been running codes on my bike for a whole season
and have used them on 3 days straight of long decents
and they have been never bled or inpected, and they work better now than before

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 14:55 Quote
The codes are the best brake i've ever rode on. There is so much control and they hold up. I have punished mine through good weather and bad and they still feel like the day i bought them. When I put them on, my bike felt like a whole new ride. These brakes are the reason i haven't bought a new bike.

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 15:12 Quote
so then keep them on i take it and its a bunch of bs

and it was either the new stokers or gator 8 piston

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 16:04 Quote
i know the stuff about bleeding and air is a bunch of bs... codes probably require less bleeding than anything else ive used... i cut the lines when i got them, and didnt bleed them straight away... i ended up bleeding them because i wanted the levers to have a short reach without much movement before the pad contact... i thought it might need to be bled, but no, it was just that i was at the end of the reach adjustment limit.

after riding them for a few weeks, and then bleeding them, i went up and did a 50 mile xc ride, but in the parking lot, i pulled the lever and it lost all resistance and pulled to the bar... i had caught the o-ring on the bleed screw on the caliper in the threads... i thought i wouldnt have a front brake, but after putting the oring back in place and pumping the brake a few times, it came back to life... good as new after loosing a quarter syringe-full of dot fluid...

i think most of the negative stuff about these brakes is just bs, the only complaint i have is that the pad contact dials are on backwards, so the arrow that says "in" actually moves the pads out...Rolleyes

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 16:50 Quote
Its hard to get comparable answers here without all the bias...
I 've been riding Hayes for years and years and never had 1 problem... I admit they are not the strongest, but they are extremely reliable...

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 16:50 Quote
why does everyone like these brakes? they're like a hand brake for lightweight riders. i can't modulate them at all.

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 17:15 Quote
matt-beer wrote:
why does everyone like these brakes? they're like a hand brake for lightweight riders. i can't modulate them at all.

thats not what i find at all, im ~130lbs, so not heavy by any means, not even 150 in full armor and backpack... i find them to modulate amazingly well, just use 1-finger, like i said before, if you get scared and grab a handful of brake, you will go over the bars, its as simple as that. I learned that in two days of riding, and its been smooth sailing ever since...

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 17:17 Quote
now i say this coming from hopes which are a chore to lock up, but that's what i love about them.

Posted: Nov 30, 2007 at 20:03 Quote
one finger always
move the levers way in the bars for maximum leverage
WAMO
if i use 2 fingers they work too well so this is my setup with codes

Posted: Jan 15, 2008 at 11:27 Quote
code's have to be the most insane brakes i have run. 1 finger braking always, havent had any problems with them either. brilliant brakes

FL
Posted: Apr 7, 2008 at 13:18 Quote
my codes are quite wierd, they are sometimes quite sharp, but at other times pretty non- responsive

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011520
Mobile Version of Website