Shuttling a 4runner?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Shuttling a 4runner?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 22, 2009 at 12:11 Quote
hey! I'm debating buying a 4runner. One thing thats holding me back is that I want to use it as a shuttle rig as well. Does nayone have experience with a 1st gen 4runner as a shuttle rig?

I was thinking if I pulled the top off, build a rack of sorts so some bikes would hang over the gate as if its a pickup, then use a hitch mounted rack as well. I could probally fit 7 bikes in that way Can anyone think of a better idea?

Posted: Apr 22, 2009 at 12:14 Quote
Nothing wrong with that. Just make sure you don't get one that is approaching a timing chain job, it's like 1200 bucks to do it depending on where you go.

Posted: Apr 28, 2009 at 19:30 Quote
Hey does the 4runner have the removable top if so it would be a lot more easier to fit bikes. Also, is it straigh axel?

Posted: Apr 28, 2009 at 19:34 Quote
dyalnger9 wrote:
Hey does the 4runner have the removable top if so it would be a lot more easier to fit bikes. Also, is it straigh axel?

yeah the older one have removable top. and they started putting on independent suspension in a while ago. so you might have to find a old one. One thing with 4runners is that they are a bit underpowered.

Posted: Apr 28, 2009 at 19:46 Quote
sleeth21 wrote:
dyalnger9 wrote:

yeah the older one have removable top. and they started putting on independent suspension in a while ago. so you might have to find a old one. One thing with 4runners is that they are a bit underpowered.

Ya but they are really good on gas and very reliable truck they take a beating

Posted: Apr 28, 2009 at 19:50 Quote
dyalnger9 wrote:
sleeth21 wrote:
dyalnger9 wrote:

i know my dad had one done up for off-roading.

Posted: Apr 29, 2009 at 10:15 Quote
sleeth21 wrote:
dyalnger9 wrote:
sleeth21 wrote:

i know my dad had one done up for off-roading.

yup i own a 85 pickup which i use for shuttling I think the 4runner would be great

Posted: Apr 29, 2009 at 10:33 Quote
they are a bit underpowered, but got decent torque so as long as you shuttle it on actual paved roads or access roads or stuff like that it will be fine...
if you intend to drive UP the DH trails with it you might have a bit of an issue.

check out my truck box, without a hitch rack I can fit an easy 7 bikes in there... upwards of 10 if I pack them in as well as hang them off the tailgate.

so it's completely doable to use one as a shuttle rig.

Posted: Apr 29, 2009 at 10:48 Quote
underpowered? meh, maybe - but ->Hella torque! a 4R with 31" M/T's will climb most anything you point it at!

maybe the 1st and 2nd gen w/ the 22r and 3.slow are a bit underpowered- but the 3rd gens are way hot. 1st gens get all the point for removable tops. Hot for shuttles!

Posted: Apr 29, 2009 at 10:53 Quote
estranged wrote:
underpowered? meh, maybe - but ->Hella torque! a 4R with 31" M/T's will climb most anything you point it at!

maybe the 1st and 2nd gen w/ the 22r and 3.slow are a bit underpowered- but the 3rd gens are way hot. 1st gens get all the point for removable tops. Hot for shuttles!

the 22re with 4:88 gear reduction would bring out a lot more power seems to work perfect with my rig

Posted: Apr 29, 2009 at 11:06 Quote
dyalnger9 wrote:
estranged wrote:

the 22re with 4:88 gear reduction would bring out a lot more power seems to work perfect with my rig

good call re: gearing - and put a detroit or aussie in teh rear, TITS!

Posted: Apr 29, 2009 at 11:17 Quote
estranged wrote:
dyalnger9 wrote:
estranged wrote:

good call re: gearing - and put a detroit or aussie in teh rear, TITS!

than your going anywhere with a lot of bikes too tup

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 at 12:03 Quote
I'd fill the back up and put a rack on the FRONT of your vehicle if you want to be able to shuttle more bodies. Not only do 4runners all suffer from saggy rear leafs but 7 guys and 7 bikes will easily overload the payload capacity. Not saying you're going to break something with that much weight but you'll certainly be running on bumpstops. By putting weight over the front, even only 100-150lbs. (2-3 bikes), you'll do a better job keeping that thing level.

eg.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v99/47/57/679345503/n679345503_801495_1967.jpg

Posted: Apr 29, 2009 at 13:55 Quote
kevman wrote:
I'd fill the back up and put a rack on the FRONT of your vehicle if you want to be able to shuttle more bodies. Not only do 4runners all suffer from saggy rear leafs but 7 guys and 7 bikes will easily overload the payload capacity. Not saying you're going to break something with that much weight but you'll certainly be running on bumpstops. By putting weight over the front, even only 100-150lbs. (2-3 bikes), you'll do a better job keeping that thing level.

eg.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v99/47/57/679345503/n679345503_801495_1967.jpg

nice Heep!

just to comment on your post - ANY vehicle will sag after it's springs wear out. My '98 was sagging arse at about 100k - 3" of Old Man Emu sus lift cleared it all up...and it don't sag now- even with this beast added on: Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.angelfire.com/mo/theamorphousband/images/done.JPG

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013920
Mobile Version of Website