Which short travel fully? rampant or sx

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Which short travel fully? rampant or sx
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 14:04 Quote
oh and when i say short travel, i mean 4" or less

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 14:57 Quote
a consideration with FSR bikes (like the Specialized SX) is that they are not great up hill pedallers, you will find the Rampant copes with hills no problem Wink

I spent the English winter riding my Rampant as an XC bike with a longer seatpost and 70mm stem, and it worked out fine

photo

I have owned a bunch of FSR bikes, and love Specialized for gravity riding, but have found the position of the "horst pivot" on their suspension frames makes the suspension "over-active" when pedalling up hills

you will find the virtual pivot suspension used on the Santa Cruz, Intense, DW link bikes and Banshee virtual pivot frames is actually a better climber, and also works great on the DH runs as you get near active braking, and a pedal platform which makes the bikes very fast under power

with the FSR suspension, there is pedal induced "squat / bobbing", if you follow a rider on a Specialized Enduro or Stumpjumper FSR up a climb, you will notice the suspension moving as they pedal, even with the saddle up at correct height

follow a rider on a virtual pivot bike, and you don't see this movement. if you also follow a rider on an Ellsworth (ICT 4-bar suspension) you don't see this squat/bob, and its less pronounced on Devinci bikes which use a variant of FSR but a radically different chainstay pivot location than FSR

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 15:19 Quote
Now I'm back where i was.... Rampant, thanks Rob....
I'm still open to other suggestions, but the rampant seems to cover everything i want extremely well, I'll just have to ride it to see if it's true

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 15:29 Quote
transition double, in my opinion.......and to all the people that say transition's break, they're one of the best if not the best bike out there

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 15:40 Quote
Straner wrote:
transition double, in my opinion.......and to all the people that say transition's break, they're one of the best if not the best bike out there

they are not close to being one of the best brands. it takes more than 3 bikes that teens drool over to be pronounced a top tier brand.

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 15:52 Quote
lcstay10 wrote:
Straner wrote:

they are not close to being one of the best brands. it takes more than 3 bikes that teens drool over to be pronounced a top tier brand.
+1

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 at 15:55 Quote
do I not have an opinion
konacowboy wrote:
lcstay10 wrote:
Straner wrote:

+1

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 6:48 Quote
Straner wrote:
do I not have an opinion
konacowboy wrote:
lcstay10 wrote:

+1

you do, and your 100% allowed to love transition. i like a couple of their bikes aswell, but it takes more then a couple of nice freeride/dh bikes to make a brand "the best" i would say that specialized, giant, and trek are the best for the ammount of great bikes for every type of riding they produce. but the small nitch brands like santacruz make awsome bikes for only 2 or three catigories. from working in a shop, the specialized/ cannondale bikes tend to sell themselfes. you gotta work hard to convince a customer that a nomad is gunna be a better choice than a enduro that is thousands cheeper. same gos for transition.

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 15:04 Quote
I see what your getting at
lcstay10 wrote:
Straner wrote:
do I not have an opinion
konacowboy wrote:

+1

you do, and your 100% allowed to love transition. i like a couple of their bikes aswell, but it takes more then a couple of nice freeride/dh bikes to make a brand "the best" i would say that specialized, giant, and trek are the best for the ammount of great bikes for every type of riding they produce. but the small nitch brands like santacruz make awsome bikes for only 2 or three catigories. from working in a shop, the specialized/ cannondale bikes tend to sell themselfes. you gotta work hard to convince a customer that a nomad is gunna be a better choice than a enduro that is thousands cheeper. same gos for transition.

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 15:40 Quote
personally i have a thing for specialized sx bikes (not the sx trails) amazing short travel bikes. People ride 4x, slopestyle, dirt jumps, trails when i have enough money thats what i am going to buy. However my friend has a norco 4x which is amazing the bike stock is amazing and for the price is great value, dylan korba rides aline on one and my friend dirt jumps on his, its one of those bikes which you pick up and it feels right.

O+
Posted: Sep 11, 2009 at 1:12 Quote
old thread, but I'm looking to buy a new rig, have similar needs to mama blanco, and really like the 2010 sx and the rampant too. Here's my 2 cents and what I like about each:

SX: 12.24'' bb height and 68 degree HA seem perfect for railing trails and light dh (in addition to its main functions as 4x, dj, and slopestyle).

Rampant: uninterrupted seatube, reports of its pedaling efficiency (rampant's bb height is 13'' and HA 69).

I'm no pro rider but I feel like that 3/4'' lower bottom bracket would be noticeable and rail better. On the other hand, the rampant seems like it would climb a lot better with better seat post extension ability (I like my bikes to be as versatile as possible). Anyway, just my 2 cents . Oh yeah, and seems like SX is $1550 w/shock and Rampant is $1600 w/o. Decisions, decisions..

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 at 12:59 Quote
we sell alot of Specialized and something that surprised me last season at the product launch was talking to one of the USA guys (who was in the UK for the launch) about the SX (4")

he said they only sell a handful a year as its such an aggressive riding frame that it scares most people that try them out...

I rode one of the 2004 SX for a day, but have not had the chance to ride one back to back with my Rampant, which would be interesting

here's my Rampant in its current guise (28lb Wink )

photo

Posted: Dec 15, 2009 at 22:46 Quote
hey guys, i have been having the exact same problem as mama-blanco and after reading this thread am pretty much set on the Rampant. only got one question though... i am 5'10", what frame size would be best for me? Short or Long

O+
Posted: Dec 16, 2009 at 1:00 Quote
NZMtbBoi wrote:
hey guys, i have been having the exact same problem as mama-blanco and after reading this thread am pretty much set on the Rampant. only got one question though... i am 5'10", what frame size would be best for me? Short or Long
Depends on what you plan on using it for. You're right in the middle so the choice comes down to personal preference really. If it's a more 4x/trail riding build, I'd go for a long. If it's mostly a DJ bike, short. But that's just me. Keep in mind that the long is still fairly short.

Posted: Dec 16, 2009 at 3:00 Quote
I am 5'10" and really agonised over the choice of a short or long Rampant for ages, before pulling the trigger on a short!

the reason is I wanted something very nimble for DJ and bike park, and noticed the long Rampant was actually a touch longer than my medium Wildcard - I found the med. Wildcard a little too long for me when I went dirt jumping on it

photo

the short Rampant has been ideal with 50mm stem, and when I used it for trail (XC) riding last winter, I put a longer stem (70mm) and longer seatpost (410mm) to stretch it out a little for pedalling about

photo

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025252
Mobile Version of Website