DH/4X - The Weight Game

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
DH/4X - The Weight Game
Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 15:49 Quote
Strip the frame's paint??

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 15:50 Quote
Megaforce seems to be one of the go to stems on this website.

I think you should do paint stripping for weight and aesthetics.

What rear hub are you running? The Hadley? Wouldn't be easy to save weight for cheap there, but that's another thing.

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 16:32 Quote
This is the most special thing I've seen in a while;

"Finally got this thing together... after spending a long time theorizing and plugging in numbers, this is my (with some help from others) attempt at a modernized version of the Blur 4x. This is a custom short shocked and short forked 5010 II with 95mm rear wheel travel, 110/120 fork, 315mm static bb height (260mm at bottom out - i.e. Plenty of room), 66 degree HTA (120 fork), 445mm reach, and 430mm chainstay. This thing absolutely rips slalom, dirt jump, pump track stuff. Can't wait to do some slalom races on this weapon" (kiran mackinnon's instagram)

not mine
not mine
not mine
not mine

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 16:33 Quote
That dude is so rad too!! Want!!

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 21:40 Quote
That is so cool, I wanted to do that to a medium frame too

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 21:45 Quote
sherbet wrote:

"Finally got this thing together... after spending a long time theorizing and plugging in numbers, this is my (with some help from others) attempt at a modernized version of the Blur 4x. This is a custom short shocked and short forked 5010 II with 95mm rear wheel travel, 110/120 fork, 315mm static bb height (260mm at bottom out - i.e. Plenty of room), 66 degree HTA (120 fork), 445mm reach, and 430mm chainstay. This thing absolutely rips slalom, dirt jump, pump track stuff. Can't wait to do some slalom races on this weapon" (kiran mackinnon's instagram)

Dank. But is that also a "custom" upper link?

Wondering how it would ride though. If the 66* head angle is something that works and feels okay, there are so many XC frames you can simply short shock/fork and slay!

Posted: Nov 29, 2017 at 5:01 Quote
theminsta wrote:
sherbet wrote:

Dank. But is that also a "custom" upper link?

Wondering how it would ride though. If the 66* head angle is something that works and feels okay, there are so many XC frames you can simply short shock/fork and slay!

The way they did way back with the Turner XCE frames, 6"x 1.25" shock on it, and race it for 4X dual etc

Posted: Nov 29, 2017 at 6:17 Quote
photo
2018 v10 29er, it's coming

Posted: Nov 29, 2017 at 9:07 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
photo
2018 v10 29er, it's coming

This i based on a pic on his Instagram of his one off V10 29er in custom color etc?? He is a Santa Cruz worker and races too, this still doesn't proof the 29er V10 will be released anytime soon

Posted: Nov 29, 2017 at 11:04 Quote
Lots of great suggestions guys, thank you v much.

sherbet wrote:
Megaforce seems to be one of the go to stems on this website.

I think you should do paint stripping for weight and aesthetics.

What rear hub are you running? The Hadley? Wouldn't be easy to save weight for cheap there, but that's another thing.

I don't really want to strip the paint, I think that would detract from the historical appeal for me. Same reason I left the giant MUSA sticker on the downtube.

Hubs - I could drop some weight there for sure, but I circle back to that image I'm chasing for the bike - I honestly think Hadley rear, Atomlab front, suits it perfectly. I may build an alternate front wheel with a disc mount, for situations where I neeeeeeeed a front brake. In that case I'd lean towards the a2z XCF-15, as I can get it pretty cheap from a local store and it comes in at 108g.

Also that Santa Cruz (what are we gonna call that? The 5010x?) is sooooooo cool, I'm still holding out hope for a 4X resurgence. Any day now...

Posted: Nov 29, 2017 at 13:02 Quote
purple anodizing and freeride are back so theres a chance in 5 years...

Posted: Nov 29, 2017 at 13:51 Quote
Purple anodizing left??

Posted: Nov 29, 2017 at 18:05 Quote
sherbet wrote:
morewhitenoise wrote:
whattheheel wrote:
To win the weight game? Plus I bet the bike shop is slow up there like here so what else we going to do? Clean?
Bricks and mortar shops still exist?

Yeah, believe or not but not everyone is able to work on their own bikes, and there's more out there than high end recreational riders.

CR you needa bring that up north sometime. I got some tracks I think it should see.
I aint believin

Posted: Nov 29, 2017 at 18:05 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
purple anodizing and freeride are back so theres a chance in 5 years...

Please provide citation

Posted: Sep 21, 2018 at 6:25 Quote
Wow is DH dead?!?

jk

Anyone know if the 2019 Boxxer Debonair Air Spring fits on pre-2019 Boxxer stanchions?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.035866
Mobile Version of Website