Ha! take that super light xc dudes!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Ha! take that super light xc dudes!
O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 7:36 Quote
this thread is turning out better than i thought Cool

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 7:39 Quote
congratulations. you beat an old man who probably works a 75+ hour week in an office; who recently bought a mountain bike to get into shape. i guess your ready for worlds.

i guarantee if you entered any real form of an XC competition you would get destroyed.

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 7:41 Quote
can i have a e-kookie??

i once passed this guy who was on a orange 5 with a tld helmet and looked like a dh by the look of his legsSmile and im only 16

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 8:01 Quote
odin333 wrote:
congratulations. you beat an old man who probably works a 75+ hour week in an office; who recently bought a mountain bike to get into shape. i guess your ready for worlds.

i guarantee if you entered any real form of an XC competition you would get destroyed.

uhhh...no. this dude was my age (18-20) and rides like every day apparently. and actually i was in this adventure race thing (25k XC, 10k run, 5k canoe) and my team won our category (elite men) and got second over all.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 8:04 Quote
ok then, enter an xc race on your bottlerocket and then get back to us tup

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 8:24 Quote
I ride a Nomad that is built up for all mtn/ freeride. Fox 36 Vanilla rc2, Hope M4 with 8 in. rotors, Fr 6.1D rims 440 fr hubs etc. I stick with my xc buddies on the uphills then I drop the saddle with that Maverick speedball seatpost and I am gone on the downhills. Bottom line is WHO CARES. Ride for the joy of riding. If you just want to win then enter races and you WILL be humbled. No matter how good a rider or how fast we are , there is always someone better and faster . If the guy wants to ride his Mojo on the street to Mac's or drag a v10 around Elbow Loop, really, don't let it ruin your day. All riding is good riding, always time well spent. Enjoy your Bottlerocket or anything else that you choose to ride. It's the rider not the bike that wins races. Look at Sam Hill, Iron Horse , Specialized, doesn't seem to matter to him. Enjoy riding and be friendly to other riders, have fun , it's all good.

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 8:26 Quote
Some of you guys are missing the point. I totally get it! Some of us who don´t have the money to buy two bikes tend to both excersize on them and also downhill/freeride on them. In my case, my bike is 37 pounds. I downhill race it on weekends, but during the week, I ride XC on it.

On xc courses and climbs you are surrounded by those lycra covered weight weenies to tend to look at you as if you had no clue about what you´re doing, just cos you don´t have the one piece lycra and the 25 pound bike. But when you do beat them, you feel as if you just made their whole world crumble down (even though they might not give a shit). But its a statement. The other day, a XC rider passed me on his car on the way to the XC track. I pedal my way to the track and he drove there. And once there I passed him. Greatest feeling ever.

Makes you want to say, what good did all that stupid lycra do for you??? tell me!!! tell me!!

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 9:09 Quote
thrice wrote:
The other day, a XC rider passed me on his car on the way to the XC track. I pedal my way to the track and he drove there.
Maybe he lives further away? Just a thought..

Anyway, overtaking XC guys means nothing, for all you know they could be capable of keeping that pace up for 12hrs+. It's like sprinting past a marathon runner and claiming you're a better runner

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 9:29 Quote
zshipowick wrote:
So...i just went on a rather XCish group ride and I just completely outrode this one dude on a completely pimped ibis mojo on my 39 lbs bottle rocket! I rode the first bit behind him and kept almost running into him because he totally didn't know how to ride with clips and had to unclip for basically every slightly technical part. by the end of the ride i was second behind this one dude who is crazy into road (like 100km every other day type thing) on a cannondale rush and keeping up to him just fine while the other guy was huffing and puffing away trying to prove that his super light xc bike was better than mine. HA! AND...i was wearing a fullface and didn't have any water for the whole 2 hours!

end rant

Point 1:
I'm often passed by downhill and dirt jump riders and they look back at me as if they've won some kind of gold medal. Heck I sometimes get passed by little kids with training wheels. Way to go champ. I'm on a recovery ride and secure enough in my ability to make you cough up a lung that I dont need to chase you down.
Point 2:
You beating someone who's obviously out of shape and new to the sport is kind of like winning a gold medal at the special olympics. At the end of the day you're still a retard especially for bragging about it here on pinkbike.
But hey, you passed someone on a bike. Way to go, you're a freakin hero in my world... (sarcasm intended)

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 9:57 Quote
precisely!
firedudecndn wrote:
zshipowick wrote:
So...i just went on a rather XCish group ride and I just completely outrode this one dude on a completely pimped ibis mojo on my 39 lbs bottle rocket! I rode the first bit behind him and kept almost running into him because he totally didn't know how to ride with clips and had to unclip for basically every slightly technical part. by the end of the ride i was second behind this one dude who is crazy into road (like 100km every other day type thing) on a cannondale rush and keeping up to him just fine while the other guy was huffing and puffing away trying to prove that his super light xc bike was better than mine. HA! AND...i was wearing a fullface and didn't have any water for the whole 2 hours!

end rant

Point 1:
I'm often passed by downhill and dirt jump riders and they look back at me as if they've won some kind of gold medal. Heck I sometimes get passed by little kids with training wheels. Way to go champ. I'm on a recovery ride and secure enough in my ability to make you cough up a lung that I dont need to chase you down.
Point 2:
You beating someone who's obviously out of shape and new to the sport is kind of like winning a gold medal at the special olympics. At the end of the day you're still a retard especially for bragging about it here on pinkbike.
But hey, you passed someone on a bike. Way to go, you're a freakin hero in my world... (sarcasm intended)

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 10:00 Quote
Sometimes I pass road bikes on the bike path on my Nomad, WHOOPEE. They probably care about as much as I do. What did you win for passing the guy on the Ibis? Twice as much as the other guy? Well two times zero is still zero. Get a hero badge, or better yet, get a chest to pin it on. Must be a big line-up of autograph seekers at the end of your rides!

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 10:25 Quote
zshipowick wrote:
odin333 wrote:

uhhh...no. this dude was my age (18-20) and rides like every day apparently. and actually i was in this adventure race thing (25k XC, 10k run, 5k canoe) and my team won our category (elite men) and got second over all.

say its safe to say your a reasonably fit fella,nothing to shout home about though to be honest.

beat lance armstrong on a wal mart bike and i might be impressed.

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 13:07 Quote
When I was in high school I worked at the lbs all the banana slick ridding roadies would come in and talk shit so I did a century ride on a mountain bike. I found very funny that non of them could keep up. They kept talking shit tho so the fallowing year I did the ride on my 20. The guys that are still alive and or still riding all ride some sort of Mountain bike now lol

Posted: Jul 28, 2009 at 17:02 Quote
deft wrote:
thrice wrote:
The other day, a XC rider passed me on his car on the way to the XC track. I pedal my way to the track and he drove there.
Maybe he lives further away? Just a thought..

Anyway, overtaking XC guys means nothing, for all you know they could be capable of keeping that pace up for 12hrs+. It's like sprinting past a marathon runner and claiming you're a better runner

In this case, I know exactly where he lives, and thats one block away from my house. I know the guy, we raced dirt bikes together.

None the less, I am not implying that I´m better than anyone, And I´m sure the OP didn´t mean that either. I have raced XC and know that a heavy bike renders you practically useless. But its just a feeling you get when you pass them. I guess not all of us feel the same. And I totally agree that me passing someone means absolutely nothing, they could be on a recovery ride, or maybe its their 5th lap, or whatever.

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 at 4:22 Quote
WFT?! the OP had himself a memorable moment in his MTB endeavors. he shares it with us, his fellow bikers and out of the wood work come those who want to take away his joy
shame shame shame .....
Confused

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015289
Mobile Version of Website