gator brake 6 piston brakes. good or junk?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
gator brake 6 piston brakes. good or junk?
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 2, 2008 at 18:54 Quote
They suck!Really Mad No doubt about it, I bought them for one of my spring builds and they are a complete waste of money! They were so bad, I couldn't place an order for another set of Stroker trails fast enough.

***THEY ARE COMPLETE GARBAGE!!!***

No modulation, slippage even after bleading them twice, no stopping power at all, lousy lever actuation, they just F*CKIN' suck!

Posted: Apr 2, 2008 at 19:44 Quote
o sounds shitty
well i got em anywasy and il let u know how they are and wtf is modulation i got no idea what it is.

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 at 20:09 Quote
They suck! No doubt about it, I bought them for one of my spring builds and they are a complete waste of money! They were so bad, I couldn't place an order for another set of Stroker trails fast enough.

***THEY ARE COMPLETE GARBAGE!!!***

No modulation, slippage even after bleading them twice, no stopping power at all, lousy lever actuation, they just F*CKIN' suck! quote

i got them today and there sick they got soo much power its retarded. the modulation isn't teh best but i have to get adjusted to it. but other then that tehy work amazing. il post some pics later

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 at 20:18 Quote
I can't recommend them at all! My brother bought a front 185mm 4 piston gator and they are pure garbage! They leaked fluid right out of the box(at the connection of the line and lever), bled them twice to get the leaver to feel better(they haven't gotten any better feeling) and have broken in the pads and rotors properly, but they still have as much power using two fingers on the lever as old school canti brakes from the late 80's!

Posted: Apr 9, 2008 at 17:51 Quote
i got teh rear 6 piston with the 8 inch rotor and it has too much power i cant controll it. i am learning to feather teh lever because everytime i touch them i come right down forma manual. the qualities great havent had a problem yet. i would definatly recomend them its a great deal for teh price. what did u bleed teh brakes with vppbikedeefer?

Posted: Jul 23, 2009 at 23:48 Quote
I got the 6 pots about 4 weeks back, and, to all you brand name buyers, well you clearly have too much cash and no idea. after a bit of tweaking these brakes are fine, better than fine, good feel heaps of power not as massively heavy as some of you(who have obviously never used them) claim.

i have over the past 15 or so years run just about every brake on the market and these are right up there with everything except maby codes, and thats only due tothe codes adjustability.

cant believe someone who rushed out to by HAYES would sledge these brakes.

i just wish some of the people on this place would open their minds to something new and not just dump on something cos its not as expensive as theirs.

bet the same people sledge kowa forks too having never been on them.

DBT

Posted: Feb 18, 2010 at 21:44 Quote
all of u haters just get off it >gator has made brakes and pads for years for motorcycles and race cars
i have rocked the gator 6s on my Versus weapon x for 2 years and they f in rock
great power to stop my heavy bike. but will dump u on ur face if u dont respect them
these can best be described as POWER BRAKES!!
but if u don't know how to set up brakes or are just a 1/2 ass bike tech stay with the over price brands ! I set them &forget them once a year
FYI the pads are twice the stoppin surface as all of the others and are very cheap
so all of u bike snobs

Posted: Feb 22, 2010 at 19:24 Quote
^^ nice gravedig there man haha

Posted: Feb 23, 2010 at 11:46 Quote
jettasport wrote:
all of u haters just get off it >gator has made brakes and pads for years for motorcycles and race cars
i have rocked the gator 6s on my Versus weapon x for 2 years and they f in rock
great power to stop my heavy bike. but will dump u on ur face if u dont respect them
these can best be described as POWER BRAKES!!
but if u don't know how to set up brakes or are just a 1/2 ass bike tech stay with the over price brands ! I set them &forget them once a year
FYI the pads are twice the stoppin surface as all of the others and are very cheap
so all of u bike snobs

Good to see that somebody has the balls to say it as it is,
Im sick of folks here (children) slating stuff thats cheap/decent priced
I must admit to being a snob about some of my bike bits,but I dont waste cash just because of a badge or label!
Keeping it real since '73

Gc

Posted: Jun 28, 2015 at 20:01 Quote
I purchased a set four years ago and have never had a problem with them. The power is not crazy over the top but enough to stop you and you can control modulation well with just one finger. I ran them for 2 seasons of dh and never had a problem with them. They are super easy to bleed or change fluid if you have to but after 100 days I still have not had to. Mine required only centering with the supplied shim washers. Easy setup.
I like how so many people that have heard second hand or "seen" them but never used them can say they are no good with 0 first hand experience.
I've run hayes 9's, stroker trail, and stroker ace and they all required much much more maintenance.
Formula one's and oro's never gave me a problem.
Avid codes worked great for me too.

Posted: Jan 1, 2021 at 22:14 Quote
soma654 wrote:
I just baught the gator brake 6 piston brake with a 203 mm rotor. Once i get it il let everyone know if it is a steal, just alright or a waste of money. So far it seems like a great deal for the price. It sould be in somewhere along the weekend i hope.

were they any good on power? and could they be compares to hope 6 pot which is very crap almost no power.if then 8's had a better disk then yep ok

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013504
Mobile Version of Website