Old School Politics

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old School Politics
Mod
Posted: Nov 26, 2017 at 6:01 Quote
Avoid Ford Focus in general. We have them as fleet vehicles at work and despite being fairly new they feel fairly unsafe and don’t handle well especially in any kind of weather.

Used if you can find a low mileage Pontiac vibe maybe? I just sold mine to someone else still going strong with about 500 000 km on it.

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2017 at 17:26 Quote
I had a vibe for my first car those things are killer. Went like 300,000 KM and sold it still wish I hadn't.

Mod
Posted: Nov 26, 2017 at 18:17 Quote
I needed something that would be reliable for work and such and didn’t have room to keep a second vehicle through the winter. Sold her for $650 to some guy in fort Mac.

It was also the same vehicle I got in high school second hand, so was time for a change.

Posted: Nov 27, 2017 at 0:33 Quote
Does the vibe have a Toyota driveline? Or is it a Pontiac?

Posted: Nov 27, 2017 at 4:12 Quote
bonfire wrote:
Does the vibe have a Toyota driveline? Or is it a Pontiac?

Its a Toyota drivetrain.

Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 19:48 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Thanks man. She's actually flying out today for her first clerkship rotation, big tings.

Yeah Deity pulled the plug and mine cracked a few months after they ran out. Go figure. We're hoping to get it done over the winter. My frame is cracked on a weld so I can get it fixed if I need to...one of my friends involved in this project bent and cracked his top tube, the other cracked his chainstay at the sprocket dimple. Can't really fix either of those.

Regarding your frame idea - one of my friends just built a Canfield riot, he loves it. I'm dying to swing a leg over it because as far as 29" trail bikes to the geo looks absolutely perfect. If you can find and try one of those for the sake of inspiration, highly recommended. I've got a Turner 4X and it's an absolute blast on trails, it feels exactly like an overgrown DJ bike with actual traction. Turner nailed the short travel bike 14 years ago and never produced it.

I'm gonna look into it! that frame sounds right up my alley.

As for car stuff, I actually have a 2009 Pontiac Vibe right now, apparently I got the one year where there were engine troubles. Car only has 140k on it but it eats a RIDICULOUS amount of oil, like full 5 quart bottle added 5000 kms after an oil change. Might just drive it till it dies, cause honestly it runs well except for the fact that it burns oil. Its a known issue with the motor, it was covered under the Toyota warranty but not the Pontiac warranty, so pretty unlucky.

I've been looking into a Hyundai Elantra hatchback which seems to be a good fit for me and seems to be reliable enough. I thought a little bit about a Subaru, AWD would be nice in the winter around here. Mazda 3 also seems to be a pretty decent car after they figured out their rust issues that were common years ago. Too many options.

Mod
Posted: Nov 28, 2017 at 20:45 Quote
It’s not super expensive to buy a new engine for them. I had a new (used) engine thrown in mine after an oil change place likely didn’t put it back together right and I lost all my oil out the bottom and cracked something. Long time ago.

Engine shipped from Ontario was all of $900 at that time. Just need to find someone to do labour.

Put on another 250 thou at least after that before I sold it. Newer engine was still mint.

Posted: Nov 29, 2017 at 3:01 Quote
Anyone in here buy into Bitcoin when it was cheap?

It just crossed $10k yesterday - unbelievable.

Posted: Nov 29, 2017 at 7:44 Quote
timlake wrote:

Pete and I both signed up with an exchange when they were giving it away about a year ago. They gave away $5 or $10 worth, which is now worth $200+....not life-changing but pretty nice for absolutely nothing spent. I bought $10 of the other two cryptocurrencies they have on their site (Ethereum, Litecoin), but I bought in way late and haven't made a ton of money on them.

One of my friends from school mentioned he's been mining a different currency that's a bit more accessible, thinks he'll make about $30-60 a month running it on his computer overnight and when he's at work. I was thinking I might give that a go, since I pay a flat rate for utilities it won't cost me anything. I honestly don't know which of these cryptocurrencies will still be around in a year though, maybe I'll just be mining monopoly money.

Posted: Nov 30, 2017 at 0:37 Quote
crs-one wrote:
timlake wrote:

Pete and I both signed up with an exchange when they were giving it away about a year ago. They gave away $5 or $10 worth, which is now worth $200+....not life-changing but pretty nice for absolutely nothing spent. I bought $10 of the other two cryptocurrencies they have on their site (Ethereum, Litecoin), but I bought in way late and haven't made a ton of money on them.

One of my friends from school mentioned he's been mining a different currency that's a bit more accessible, thinks he'll make about $30-60 a month running it on his computer overnight and when he's at work. I was thinking I might give that a go, since I pay a flat rate for utilities it won't cost me anything. I honestly don't know which of these cryptocurrencies will still be around in a year though, maybe I'll just be mining monopoly money.

Nice! Is that Coinbase I assume? I'm using them.

It looks like it crashed overnight. I wanted to sell my Ethereum and buy BTC in the dip that was inevitably coming after $10k but I was asleep. Should have just placed an order.

Yeah, I know what you mean. There's people saying it'll be at $200,000 by 2020 so I might just hold and see what happens.

Posted: Nov 30, 2017 at 7:48 Quote
Yeah exactly coinbase.

I'm worried that if I start tracking prices and actively trying to buy in at low points, it'll consume me. The price fluctuations are wild and pretty irrational, for me right now it's funny watching the wild swings in my coinbase wallet. If I had actual skin in the game, watching the prices would probably just be stressful.

Mod
Posted: Nov 30, 2017 at 13:08 Quote
Everyone at work is buying into cannabis stocks. Over the past month they have already made a shitload of money. Some of them almost quadrupling their investment. I’d invest if I had anything to spare.

Posted: Dec 1, 2017 at 2:28 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Yeah exactly coinbase.

I'm worried that if I start tracking prices and actively trying to buy in at low points, it'll consume me. The price fluctuations are wild and pretty irrational, for me right now it's funny watching the wild swings in my coinbase wallet. If I had actual skin in the game, watching the prices would probably just be stressful.

Yeah, I look once a day and see if there is any easy buy/sell and then leave it.

t3rry wrote:
Everyone at work is buying into cannabis stocks. Over the past month they have already made a shitload of money. Some of them almost quadrupling their investment. I’d invest if I had anything to spare.

I heard about this, based around Cannabis becoming legal right? Definitely smart money if there's a real chance of it becoming legal. It's worth huge amounts of $$$ in the US..

Posted: Dec 1, 2017 at 7:49 Quote
Yeah it's definitely going to be legal, legislation should be ready this coming summer. A few of my friends went through a heavy weed-stock day trading. One friend got out at one of the peaks of one of the main stocks, made something like $20,000. Most of the rest....were not so lucky.

Mod
Posted: Dec 1, 2017 at 20:21 Quote
My work guys are in on a company that is local and going to be building something like the countries or maybe worlds largest legal automated grow op just down the highway. They quadrupled their investments in a month and its only going up. The company is doing hostile take overs of smaller operations and is a complete beast.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.063969
Mobile Version of Website