Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Mar 22, 2024 at 8:10 Quote
[Quote="husstler"]D Man, you’re right - yes it’s far for a weekend - but you see, I’m getting to the time of year I’m desperate for winter to end and it seems like it never will.

I’m usually ok with an Easter driving mission but this time my ride buddy is tied up in babyland.

Hadn’t considered Nelson.

Hmm. I have a friend there too.[/Quote ]

We are riding in the loops but only a few zones are open. Not sure if I would travel 8 hours for what is ridable atm. The ranch is scheduled to be open april 1st. Hit me up if you make it to the loops!

Posted: Mar 22, 2024 at 10:31 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
mysticmountainadventures wrote:
not sure about contract law in the us, but here liquidated damages clauses are estimates of what losses may be suffered should a contract not be met...

basically a bluff

actual losses need to be demonstrated

There was some backdoor stuff going on.. I'm pretty sure that the city department walked these proposed trails with this builder last year and flagged it last fall with the.. Because the bid solicitation went out in February when there was 3' of snow on the site and the bid period was only open for 3 weeks.. So there was never a chance to actually look at the terrain without snow. Then like you said, I'll bet they wrote the deadline entirely too aggressive and the make it "handbuilt" to deter other bidders and they have a handshake deal with this other builder that is going to allow them to go past the deadline without penalty and I guarantee they will be using a machine at points.

I know 2 other trail builders and myself that all looked at the solicitation to bid with the late penalty and the deadline and said "f*ck That". I am pretty sure they wrote that bid for this company to win.

Especially when I went to the meeting where the bids were revealed and the head of parks department and the owner of this company start talking about some small town shit that happened last week and asked about golfing the next week..... And they were the only bid received for the project. Lol

This sounds entirely too likely to not be true... honestly, I expect you're better off not getting into that shitshow.

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2024 at 11:10 Quote
I've done an easter weekend trip to Moab... Sometimes an epic road trip to ride just makes sense... sometimes the further and sillier the better

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2024 at 11:19 Quote
I've done an easter weekend trip to Moab... Sometimes an epic road trip to ride just makes sense... sometimes the further and sillier the better

When I looked at the weather map I was seeing improved numbers closer to Utah, yes. Maybe I have to take extra time off.

More time mapping at work on a snowy Friday

The beauty of Kamloops was staying at my parents house - the land of free babysitting, free food, and free accommodations. Chris, I will send a message if I’m there anyway.

Posted: Mar 22, 2024 at 11:21 Quote
Speed and Style was fun to watch.

I'm a big fan of Billy. He's just a good dude. I had the pleasure of meeting him and working with him a couple years ago. Good kid. Good family.

But Rojo is my boy. I've been watching that kid ride since he was like 14 or so. He's kind of the last of the great Aptos kids. The last of guys that remember what it felt like to build and ride the Post Office. I pushed for Bell to sign him when I worked there. I pushed for Marzocchi to sign him. Stoked that Leatte picked him up. That company is pushing hard right now.

That 2/3 match up was sick. Pene got lucky to make it as far as he did so I felt pretty good for Meech in the finals. Riding was so sick to watch. Pretty crazy that a dude doing 3/4 combos was running faster in one lane and barely behind in the second lane than a world cup dh racer.

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2024 at 11:40 Quote
Knox and Smith Creek would be good to go if the forecast is amenable

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2024 at 19:40 Quote
It’s go time around vernon. I’ve been suntanning around here .

Posted: Mar 23, 2024 at 19:42 Quote
jamezyo wrote:
It’s go time around vernon. I’ve been suntanning around here .
Im moldy

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2024 at 5:43 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
Speed and Style was fun to watch.

I'm a big fan of Billy. He's just a good dude. I had the pleasure of meeting him and working with him a couple years ago. Good kid. Good family.

But Rojo is my boy. I've been watching that kid ride since he was like 14 or so. He's kind of the last of the great Aptos kids. The last of guys that remember what it felt like to build and ride the Post Office. I pushed for Bell to sign him when I worked there. I pushed for Marzocchi to sign him. Stoked that Leatte picked him up. That company is pushing hard right now.

That 2/3 match up was sick. Pene got lucky to make it as far as he did so I felt pretty good for Meech in the finals. Riding was so sick to watch. Pretty crazy that a dude doing 3/4 combos was running faster in one lane and barely behind in the second lane than a world cup dh racer.

Quite the drama with the slopestyle riders, weak move imo. The riders should have dealt with their grievances before the event. The only reason they have a job is because of the fans and they have now disappointed many who travelled to watch. They Also pissed the organization off who does all the work so the riders can show their skills. Might find out they are not as valuable as they think....

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2024 at 9:05 Quote
As someone who prefers behind the scenes vlogs rather than professional commentated productions, I’m surprised that there’s been any drama at all around a traditional men’s slopestyle competition disappearing. Would be interesting to see viewer numbers but counting number of rotations in slow mo has made slopestyle pretty unwatchable… hell even the riders aren’t interested in the sport… semenuk, rheeder, reboul, loron, the list goes on

Posted: Mar 24, 2024 at 9:41 Quote
There has to be a huge cost involved in setting up those courses I imagine. Its a shame. Very cool to watch the level of skill those riders poses. Though I don’t follow any of the organized riding/racing.

I suspect it will transition into video format. Kinda like skateboarding did in the 90’s. Contests sort of fell off in lieu of the sponsors videos. They realized the market place for sales was much more easily controlled in pasting together successful mega runs.

Contests re-gained popularity after that.

Posted: Mar 24, 2024 at 10:14 Quote

This was my thinking as well. Just haul ass on fast highways thru beautiful landscapes and ride hard in moab for 2 or 3 days.
Driving for 8 hours in hope that muddy trails aren't muddy seems like a bad gamble.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2024 at 20:04 Quote
obee1 wrote:

This was my thinking as well. Just haul ass on fast highways thru beautiful landscapes and ride hard in moab for 2 or 3 days.
Driving for 8 hours in hope that muddy trails aren't muddy seems like a bad gamble.

Not taking the gamble after all. Regrouping for a better planned weekend.

Looks like I’m going to have to attend Easter brunch after all. Will just do a day trip and overnight to a closer spot.

Posted: Mar 24, 2024 at 20:54 Quote
I'm off to Florida tomorrow. Good times ahead

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2024 at 21:00 Quote
Oh man, I love Florida.

To visit.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.082990
Mobile Version of Website