show off your Santa Cruz

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
show off your Santa Cruz
Posted: Dec 14, 2023 at 11:26 Quote
photo

Meet "Gold Member". 36lbs. All my old parts from my previous Megatower 2. Black frame decals help a little, but I'm not a fan of the color. At all.

Posted: Dec 18, 2023 at 1:55 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Megneg deluxe changed my 5010.

Also doing a DHX + Zeb on the 5010 over the winter for shits and gigs.

How did you find setup with the megneg? Any tips?

Posted: Dec 18, 2023 at 10:32 Quote
Excellent. It took the rear suspension from being good, to actually having a nearly negative effect when I was running the 34 as it then felt rather imbalanced, to now feeling a lot more balanced with a 150mm Pike.

The breakaway is really what impressed me. I could run the bike as high as 40% sag and still retain a high ramp pushing into mid and end stroke. I've since added a few of the neg volume bands and increased PSI. Bike floats.

Don't start with the full amount of negative volume open, try it fairly midpoint. You will also likely be running 5-10% higher PSI on the Megneg than regular.

O+
Posted: Dec 18, 2023 at 11:47 Quote
fredro wrote:
photo

Meet "Gold Member". 36lbs. All my old parts from my previous Megatower 2. Black frame decals help a little, but I'm not a fan of the color. At all.

I think BananaRama would be a better name

Posted: Dec 19, 2023 at 2:46 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Excellent. It took the rear suspension from being good, to actually having a nearly negative effect when I was running the 34 as it then felt rather imbalanced, to now feeling a lot more balanced with a 150mm Pike.

The breakaway is really what impressed me. I could run the bike as high as 40% sag and still retain a high ramp pushing into mid and end stroke. I've since added a few of the neg volume bands and increased PSI. Bike floats.

Don't start with the full amount of negative volume open, try it fairly midpoint. You will also likely be running 5-10% higher PSI on the Megneg than regular.

MegNeg absolutely transformed my Bronson. Went from bottoming out super often with 3 positive tokens and 23% sag at 185psi to 2 tokens, no bands, and 215psi. Now I get 29% sag and bottom out as expected. Makes for much more midstroke support and a plusher feeling off the top, compared to before when it had no support until I smacked into the wall of tokens deep in the stroke.

Posted: Dec 20, 2023 at 2:18 Quote
riish wrote:
sherbet wrote:

MegNeg absolutely transformed my Bronson. Went from bottoming out super often with 3 positive tokens and 23% sag at 185psi to 2 tokens, no bands, and 215psi. Now I get 29% sag and bottom out as expected. Makes for much more midstroke support and a plusher feeling off the top, compared to before when it had no support until I smacked into the wall of tokens deep in the stroke.

Good to hear. I've been recommended to start with 3 bands in the neg chamber and 1 or 2 fewer tokens in the positive, with 20% more air - does that sound about right? I like to run about 27% sag as any more makes the bike feel much less poppy. Also seems like the megneg results in very similar kinematics as a cascade link (but much cheaper).

Posted: Dec 20, 2023 at 9:59 Quote
milanboez wrote:
Good to hear. I've been recommended to start with 3 bands in the neg chamber and 1 or 2 fewer tokens in the positive, with 20% more air - does that sound about right? I like to run about 27% sag as any more makes the bike feel much less poppy. Also seems like the megneg results in very similar kinematics as a cascade link (but much cheaper).
Not to beat a dead horse, but you can't mimic a different leverage curve by altering shock volume. You can get the wheel force curve to be similar, however you get a shock force curve that is significantly higher at bottom of travel. That results in a larger difference in rebound speed between top and bottom of travel. If you then slow rebound to keep it from bouncing out of bottom of travel, top of travel rebound is slow. Rebound damping isn't position sensitive on bike shocks so there is no way around this. I believe this is what gives a shock packed full of volume spacers the "end of travel wall" feel more than the wheel force curve itself. It generates such a large difference in rebound speed that the shock tends to pack up through the first half of travel and then sit up against the stiffer end of travel where rebound is faster. More progressive leverage curves tend to sit higher in travel, although I think a lot of people assume they don't because they are used to seeing progression in the form of air springs and volume spacers. There is also a difference in how rebound is felt at the wheel. The more progressive a leverage curve is, the more damping force as felt at the wheel increases through travel. Personally I'm a fan of this because you can get things more active over super chattery roots and braking bumps without losing that damping support deeper in travel. Whether that is all stuff you are picky enough about for it to be worthwhile is the question.

Posted: Dec 21, 2023 at 1:25 Quote
CascadeComponents wrote:
milanboez wrote:
Not to beat a dead horse, but you can't mimic a different leverage curve by altering shock volume. You can get the wheel force curve to be similar, however you get a shock force curve that is significantly higher at bottom of travel. That results in a larger difference in rebound speed between top and bottom of travel. If you then slow rebound to keep it from bouncing out of bottom of travel, top of travel rebound is slow. Rebound damping isn't position sensitive on bike shocks so there is no way around this. I believe this is what gives a shock packed full of volume spacers the "end of travel wall" feel more than the wheel force curve itself. It generates such a large difference in rebound speed that the shock tends to pack up through the first half of travel and then sit up against the stiffer end of travel where rebound is faster. More progressive leverage curves tend to sit higher in travel, although I think a lot of people assume they don't because they are used to seeing progression in the form of air springs and volume spacers. There is also a difference in how rebound is felt at the wheel. The more progressive a leverage curve is, the more damping force as felt at the wheel increases through travel. Personally I'm a fan of this because you can get things more active over super chattery roots and braking bumps without losing that damping support deeper in travel. Whether that is all stuff you are picky enough about for it to be worthwhile is the question.

Interesting points. I tried to pick up one of your links but it seems to be quite a challenge in the UK without having to pay through the roof. I picked up the megneg cheap so thought it was worth a try to get some of the characteristics I'm looking for - we'll see!

Posted: Dec 22, 2023 at 14:18 Quote
milanboez wrote:
Interesting points. I tried to pick up one of your links but it seems to be quite a challenge in the UK without having to pay through the roof. I picked up the megneg cheap so thought it was worth a try to get some of the characteristics I'm looking for - we'll see!
Yeah it definitely can be. There are scenarios where changing shock volume works with zero downsides. For example, if someone is primarily riding flow trails then slow rebound at top of travel doesn't pose much of an issue.

Posted: Dec 26, 2023 at 12:16 Quote
photo

First ride today. Got to get used to riding a normal bike again. Been spoiled with the ebike last couple of months, and I felt sluggish. Heavier tires and soggy leaves didn't help much either. Color is growing on me...

Posted: Dec 26, 2023 at 12:29 Quote
fredro wrote:
photo

First ride today. Got to get used to riding a normal bike again. Been spoiled with the ebike last couple of months, and I felt sluggish. Heavier tires and soggy leaves didn't help much either. Color is growing on me...

Looks fantastic!

Posted: Mar 20, 2024 at 11:51 Quote
Anyone have any experience with a new Super Deluxe Coil on a Nomad and care to share their settings etc? Cheers

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.091140
Mobile Version of Website