Yeti ASR 5 Carbon Build Up

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Yeti ASR 5 Carbon Build Up
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2010 at 12:37 Quote
LemonadeMoney wrote:
Frame arrived at LBS today! Will post some pics when it's built

RAD! THat was fast man! Can't wait to see it.

Posted: Dec 7, 2010 at 20:52 Quote
How does the ASR 5 compare to the mojo you rode for awhile last year?

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2010 at 9:42 Quote
They are 2 different bikes.
The Mojo is still my favorite bike to pedal, but the angles on the AS-r 5 make it such a better option when things get steeper and hairier. Neither have ISCG tabs and that is what I really want to see on a trail bike for 2 ring guides and a cable routing for a height adjust post too.

Posted: Dec 8, 2010 at 11:46 Quote
brule wrote:
They are 2 different bikes.
The Mojo is still my favorite bike to pedal, but the angles on the AS-r 5 make it such a better option when things get steeper and hairier. Neither have ISCG tabs and that is what I really want to see on a trail bike for 2 ring guides and a cable routing for a height adjust post too.

Interesting, Thanks and keep up the great work!

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2010 at 4:07 Quote
She's ready! (posted pics in my profile) Still need to set up the suspension and unfortunately won't see a proper mountain 'til April, but she'll get a good seeing to down the woods in the meantime.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2010 at 9:08 Quote
Looking good! Black was my first choice two, but i happily settled on white in the end. You're gonna enjoy that machine!

O+
Posted: May 5, 2011 at 7:27 Quote
brule wrote:
Looking good! Black was my first choice two, but i happily settled on white in the end. You're gonna enjoy that machine!

When I first got this bike the long wheelbase was alien, lifting the front end was difficult and it felt a bit lightweight in the air. Then I read the Pinkbike and Dirt reviews which both said fantastic bike, but you need to be a good rider. Well I'm not bad but it did make me think I'd bought the wrong bike, even thought about building the Blur 4X back up. I stuck with it, slowly got used to it and having just given it a proper test in Wales, all I can say is this bike is outrageous! Stiff, light and rapid as f**k. Hit decents as fast as I can and never reach the bike's limits, it also corners on rails. How did they get the bike to be stiff, but plush on the small stuff, and fast on the climbs with downhill geometry? If anyone is wondering whether to buy this frame, just do it, or a 5 Alloy, or a 575 (my mate's got one and I can't catch him). You will not regret it.

Posted: May 9, 2011 at 9:29 Quote
Hi guys,
I am looking for some advice on an ASR5 Carbon build.
I’d really appreciate your views on my potential build:

Frame Yeti ASR5C
Forks Fox Float 130mm RLC FIT Kashima 15mm
Headset Chris King 1 1/8-1 1/2 (blue)
Stem Thomson X4 31.9 80mm BLK
Bars Easton EC70 low rise
Front Brake Shimano trail XTR 180mm
Rear Brake Shimano trail XTR 160mm
Rear Wheel Chris King 142mm (blue) laced to Crests with light weight butted spokes
Front Wheel Chris King 15mm (blue) laced to Crests with light weight butted spokes
Saddle Charge Spoon Ti rails - white
Post Thompson Elite 30.9 x 367
C/Set XTR 170mm 38tx26t
Front Mech XTR
Chain XTR
Shifters XTR
Rear Mech XTR
Cassette XTR 11 - 36t
Tyres Nobby Nick 2.25 Evo Snakeskin

Thanks,
Donncha.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2011 at 10:29 Quote
Donncha wrote:
Hi guys,

Frame Yeti ASR5C
Rear Wheel Chris King 142mm (blue) laced to Crests with light weight butted spokes
Front Wheel Chris King 15mm (blue) laced to Crests with light weight butted spokes
C/Set XTR 170mm 38tx26t
Front Mech XTR
Chain XTR
Shifters XTR
Rear Mech XTR
Cassette XTR 11 - 36t

Thanks,
Donncha.

Not sure what you want to hear from us, that bike sounds pretty amazing to me! Build it, shred it!

Posted: May 9, 2011 at 10:34 Quote
Cheers Brule!

I've never spent this much on a bike before. Just checking there isn't a more appropriate spec before I take the plunge. How is yours working out?

O+
Posted: May 9, 2011 at 11:16 Quote
Donncha wrote:
Cheers Brule!

I've never spent this much on a bike before. Just checking there isn't a more appropriate spec before I take the plunge. How is yours working out?

Ya that is a ton of cash to be dropping for sure. When I was building mine last winter I went with a 150 REvelation with a 20mm front as have not been sold on 15mm yet and I wanted to kick out the HA a bit more = this suited my riding terrain and may not for yours though. The rest of your parts will work wonders!

O+
Posted: May 11, 2011 at 9:29 Quote
Donncha wrote:
Hi guys,

Frame Yeti ASR5C
C/Set XTR 170mm 38tx26t
Front Mech XTR
Chain XTR
Shifters XTR
Rear Mech XTR
Cassette XTR 11 - 36t

Thanks,
Donncha.

My comments FWIW:
I think the frames are quite long (not sure what type of frame you are coming from) so you may want to experiment with stem length.
If it was me I would fit Easton Haven Carbon bars.
I've had DT Swiss 240 hubs and Chris King hubs on mine, and the Kings are definitely quicker.
I was thinking of Crest rims but I was told I was too heavy (210lbs). I did have some DT Swiss EX500 rims on there which were fine, but now I'm running Mavic XC717 disc which are staying true but the rear is starting to show some dings, so will probably put a XC719 disc in the rear when it packs up.
I'm running 170mm long crank arms at the moment with no problems, but I think you can get away with 175mm which I plan to do, and have been told that they are no problem either.
Obviously depends what you are riding, but if you want that bike a bit faster, put a Racing Ralph 2.25 Evo on the back with your Nobby Nick on the front (or buy both the Nic and the Ralph, and alternate the rear depending on the trail).
Regardless of all that sounds like a great build and you will love that bike.

Posted: Jul 7, 2011 at 19:54 Quote
@LemonadeMoney: I know this is a random revival of this thread but I'm thinking about building up an ASR5 Carbon. However, the Ibis Mojo has always captivated me. I currently ride a Blur 4x as my trail bike and from the looks of it, you've had all three... do you like the Yeti more than the Mojo and how does it differ from the Blur?

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2011 at 11:43 Quote
Any advice on sizing for these bikes? I'm usually an XL in fisher but the top tube of a large asr 5c is the same length of my fisher XL. I'm thinking large but would like to hear your experience. I'm 6'2 with a short torso and long legs/arms.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.035170
Mobile Version of Website