Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 17:08 Quote
Venturebikes wrote:
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Chain tensioners on my PBJ, dumb idea? Just pulled the back wheel to change out the rotor and realized how much I dislike having to fuss with getting the right chain tension lol
I've run a basic DMR chain tensioner for years. I personally love it. Can't speak to what its like running a full derailleur as a tensioner as some do but it works great

My PBJ has more BMX style dropouts. Horizontal, steel frame, no provision for a mech type tensioner

Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 18:09 Quote
Chain tensioners are nice, you can cheap out and even just put one on the driveside

Try to look for a style that wont take your ankle out with a protruding bolt - I bet someone in here knows a good one to look at

Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 19:48 Quote
I run basic simple BMX style chain tensioners on all my frames that dont have them integrated. No reason not to.

Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 20:12 Quote
[Quote="
Tapered axle washer design.
bdreynolds7
"]
Venturebikes wrote:
bdreynolds7 wrote:
Chain tensioners on my PBJ, dumb idea? Just pulled the back wheel to change out the rotor and realized how much I dislike having to fuss with getting the right chain tension lol
I've run a basic DMR chain tensioner for years. I personally love it. Can't speak to what its like running a full derailleur as a tensioner as some do but it works great

My PBJ has more BMX style dropouts. Horizontal, steel frame, no provision for a mech type tensioner[/Quote]

PBJ has ramped taperlock dropouts, all you need is the Taperlock washers. It’s literally the simplest tensioner design.

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 20:45 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
[Quote="
bdreynolds7
"]
Venturebikes wrote:
bdreynolds7 wrote:

My PBJ has more BMX style dropouts. Horizontal, steel frame, no provision for a mech type tensioner

PBJ has ramped taperlock dropouts, all you need is the Taperlock washers. It’s literally the simplest tensioner design.[/Quote]

Is that what those do? I was wondering how it worked since it just looks like a regular washer that indexes with the dropout.

Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 20:55 Quote
[Quote="
photo
bdreynolds7
"]
bikebike69 wrote:
[Quote="
bdreynolds7
"]
Venturebikes wrote:
bdreynolds7 wrote:

PBJ has ramped taperlock dropouts, all you need is the Taperlock washers. It’s literally the simplest tensioner design.[/Quote]

Is that what those do? I was wondering how it worked since it just looks like a regular washer that indexes with the dropout.[/Quote]

Yes, the dropouts themselves as well as the corresponding washers are ramped. As soon as they’re tightened the axle can not move forward. I have seen guys that bought these frame second hand and didn’t even know about it, and were trying to use flat washers. They will never stay tight with flat.
Added a better pic.

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 21:42 Quote
That is super slick! DMR actually has a cool sheet on it too

http://www.dmrbikes.com/files/taper_lock_dropout.pdf

Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 22:38 Quote
Strictly speaking, I'd say that's not a tensioner; it's an anti-slip device for your dropouts/hub.

Posted: Jun 3, 2022 at 3:04 Quote
Chain tensioner for life

Also it saved my life once or twice then I snapped my axle because out of pure luck it jammed itself in my dropout and didn't let my wheel shift

Posted: Jun 3, 2022 at 3:34 Quote
Any drop out is tapered if you bend them Wink

There's a technique to tightening chains, clamp the tyre between your knees and push your seat forward, tighten the non drive side, then using 4 fingers, grab the tyre behind the seat tube with your thumb over the seatstay and your palm on it, squeeze your hand together to tighten the drive side, do it up with a proper tool, not some tiny Allen key or shifter, use a proper ratchet, adjust the non drive side until it's straight.

If the paint on your frames causing slippage issues, sand it and use a knurled washer.

Taperlock is such a gimmicky 'innovation' and I use the term very loosely. Sounds like DMR trying to sell you a washer for £13 when you inevitably lose yours or accidentally sell it with your old wheels.

Posted: Jun 3, 2022 at 3:54 Quote
yo13bo wrote:

Taperlock is such a gimmicky 'innovation' and I use the term very loosely. Sounds like DMR trying to sell you a washer for £13 when you inevitably lose yours or accidentally sell it with your old wheels.

Seriously? It’s LITERALLY the cleanest, simplest, one of the most effective tensioner designs there is. Having a proprietary washer is no different than having to buy a traditional mechanical tensioner cost wise. I’d argue it’s cheaper since the frame specked with Taperlock come with the washers. The problem is simply some people just don’t realize they’re there. Someone being careless doesn’t diminish the design.
But…. I will say as far as any other frame not equipped with Taperlock, my favorite chain tensioner by far is the Gusset Micro tensioner, litethe smallest ones made and come with three length options of bolts included for any length of dropouts. Plus they make bothe 10mm and 14mm sizes. Run them on my DJ, BMX bikes. Flawless design.
photo

Posted: Jun 3, 2022 at 4:00 Quote
that's super clean,

I think some people are forgetting that chain tensioners are to tension the chain before you tighten the wheel in the dropout. That's it. So if you can properly tension your wheel without one, it doesn't really matter. Some also think they can run quick release axles with chain tensioners and that's not what they're made for

Posted: Jun 3, 2022 at 5:15 Quote
14pslope wrote:

So if you can properly tension your wheel without one, it doesn't really matter.

Exactly this, a screw type tensioner makes fine adjustment easier if you are picky, a tapered washer doesn't help you achieve the tension you're after, merely just locks it in place

It's solving a problem that you can solve for free by learning how to properly tighten down a bolt, if its slippage due to thick paint or something similar, its something you can fix with a 50c washer from a hardware store and a bit of sandpaper.

Posted: Jun 3, 2022 at 6:50 Quote
Just to be an antagonist.....
My Hope 10mm bolt ups have never shifted, EVER
soz..

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.053482
Mobile Version of Website