The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)
Posted: May 5, 2016 at 5:40 Quote
So out of curiosity, what would be a good range in general to have my .308 sighted in at? I'm thinking 250-300m

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 5:49 Quote
marxthekittah wrote:
So out of curiosity, what would be a good range in general to have my .308 sighted in at? I'm thinking 250-300m

What are you using it for and what is the max distance you are going to be using it at?

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 5:55 Quote
marxthekittah wrote:

Zero at 100 meters, atleast that's what I would do!

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 8:07 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
marxthekittah wrote:

What are you using it for and what is the max distance you are going to be using it at?
Shooting targets and probably 500m or so.

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 8:33 Quote
Are you setting up the targets yourself or going somewhere? If you're setting them up yourself sight it at the distant you will shoot the most, most likely a middle distance. If you're going to a range with set targets, find out what the ranges are on them, whether they're meters or yards. My local range that I'd shoot at has a 100 yard range that I'd shoot at mostly and that's what I'll be sighting my 336 in at.

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 8:34 Quote
StUone7 wrote:
Are you setting up the targets yourself or going somewhere? If you're setting them up yourself sight it at the distant you will shoot the most, most likely a middle distance. If you're going to a range with set targets, find out what the ranges are on them, whether they're meters or yards. My local range that I'd shoot at has a 100 yard range that I'd shoot at mostly and that's what I'll be sighting my 336 in at.
Definitely setting up my own targets. Don't have a gun range in a 200 mile radius that I know of.

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 8:56 Quote
Then it's all up to you. Do you have an accurate way of measuring the target distance?

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 9:12 Quote
chaserider wrote:
marxthekittah wrote:

Always

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 10:16 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
chaserider wrote:
marxthekittah wrote:

Always

Can I ask your reasoning behind this? Especially the "always" part.

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 13:37 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
chaserider wrote:

Always

Virtually every optic out there is designed to be zeroed at 100 and then compensated either by BDC or windage and elevation adjustments from there. Dialing back all your adjustments, RTZ, should put you at 100 straight. In thirty years around guns I've never seen anyone, sport pro or military, 'zero' a rifle optic to anything but 100.

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 13:52 Quote
100 what though? Yards or meters?

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 13:52 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
ninjatarian wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

Always

Virtually every optic out there is designed to be zeroed at 100 and then compensated either by BDC or windage and elevation adjustments from there. Dialing back all your adjustments, RTZ, should put you at 100 straight. In thirty years around guns I've never seen anyone, sport pro or military, 'zero' a rifle optic to anything but 100.

Totally agree as it relates to rifles that are scoped. With precision guns 100 meter zero makes complete sense as you can then make adjustments as you walked it out.

That said, people run .308 in AR / bolt / lever guns with red dots and iron sites as well. In those instances zeroing in at 100 meters does not always make sense if they are shooting at distances out past 100 meters or unknown distances (hunting). A more neutral 0 would better suit rifles of that nature better.

I have no idea what setup he is running or if he is even using an optic which is why I didn't jump to conclusions and advise anything to him. He needs to give more details on his setup and use (apologies if he already posted it and I missed it).

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 13:55 Quote
StUone7 wrote:

I'd hazard a guess that that depends on what country you're in.

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 14:31 Quote
StUone7 wrote:
Generally meters unless otherwise specified by your optic.

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 14:32 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
ninjatarian wrote:

Totally agree as it relates to rifles that are scoped. With precision guns 100 meter zero makes complete sense as you can then make adjustments as you walked it out.

That said, people run .308 in AR / bolt / lever guns with red dots and iron sites as well. In those instances zeroing in at 100 meters does not always make sense if they are shooting at distances out past 100 meters or unknown distances (hunting). A more neutral 0 would better suit rifles of that nature better.

I have no idea what setup he is running or if he is even using an optic which is why I didn't jump to conclusions and advise anything to him. He needs to give more details on his setup and use (apologies if he already posted it and I missed it).
Who's shooting fixed sights at 100m or more? Even military iron sights are zeroed at 100m because only the front sight is fixed. The rear sight on virtually every buis out there is adjustable.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017812
Mobile Version of Website