The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)
O+
Posted: May 23, 2018 at 20:53 Quote
theMISSIONARY wrote:
just about always manuals and usually around the 300000km mark,all the bearings seem to get really worn and then the syncros etc let go

I have had 2 turbo manual trans and 3 NA4 eats go past 200k miles (320km} when I sold them.. My current 04fxt 4eat died at 220k miles (350k km) and I replaced it.

Posted: May 23, 2018 at 23:54 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
ZenkiS14 wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

I will highly refute this.. I have had 10 different Subarus and I have only replaced 2 transmissions.. But one of them was doing a 4eat to 6mt swap.. The one I changed out of failure was in a 230k mile turbo forester that had been used as a rallyx car and was beat on hard..

Not saying they don't fail, just that's its not a guaranteed thing..

And I love the crosstreks but 2.0l NA is a deal breaker for me.. After my last 4 2.5l turbo foresters and outbacks, I don't think I could do it..

It's pretty brutal. We sold her 2.5 Turbo WRX, and bought the NA 2.0L Trek, and it's rediculously slow. It's awful. But we needed more room, and taller ride to make it easier to load and unload the kiddo, so it was a necessary change unfortunately. We still have my 500hp car though, so it's ok lol

I would love a 500hp car someday.. My 6mt fxt was only 330hp, but it was a jdm gearbox. Those short gears made that 330hp really hit hard and fast. It was a super fun setup.

I drive the fiancés 09 NA outback and it drives me crazy. Haha
My truck is right around 500hp... thinking of putting a procharger on it.

Posted: May 24, 2018 at 7:07 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
ZenkiS14 wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

I will highly refute this.. I have had 10 different Subarus and I have only replaced 2 transmissions.. But one of them was doing a 4eat to 6mt swap.. The one I changed out of failure was in a 230k mile turbo forester that had been used as a rallyx car and was beat on hard..

Not saying they don't fail, just that's its not a guaranteed thing..

And I love the crosstreks but 2.0l NA is a deal breaker for me.. After my last 4 2.5l turbo foresters and outbacks, I don't think I could do it..

It's pretty brutal. We sold her 2.5 Turbo WRX, and bought the NA 2.0L Trek, and it's rediculously slow. It's awful. But we needed more room, and taller ride to make it easier to load and unload the kiddo, so it was a necessary change unfortunately. We still have my 500hp car though, so it's ok lol

I would love a 500hp car someday.. My 6mt fxt was only 330hp, but it was a jdm gearbox. Those short gears made that 330hp really hit hard and fast. It was a super fun setup.

I drive the fiancés 09 NA outback and it drives me crazy. Haha

His and Hers (until we sold the blue one in favor of a Crosstrek lol)

photo

photo

Posted: May 24, 2018 at 7:17 Quote
I have an 2010 Audi A6 3.0 supercharged, but it's down right now, it needs gaskets and the entire rear brake assemblies, both sides, needs to be replaced. Not cheap, so given that I already have a replacement vehicle, I might just be selling it.

Thanks - T

Posted: May 24, 2018 at 7:48 Quote
I can’t wait till my car’s done.
But on a gun note, going shooting this weekend. Hopefully get the 300 RUM, .308, and AK all sighted in. And brought the 460 just to see if I can hit shit at 50 yards with it.

Posted: May 24, 2018 at 8:16 Quote
Goal this weekend...
Mow so we can walk back and forth from the patio to the fence (the "gun range") without having to take a snake gun with us. Rolleyes

Our view

Our view.

There's lots to mow.

Posted: May 24, 2018 at 9:17 Quote
TYVM, yes, it is...
We got this place sigh-unseen, moving from FL to here. Very blessed.

Still don't have a bike, but I'll have one soon.

I set up targets in the treelines, and I have some steel way down to the right out of frame, almost 600y out. Makes for good AR practice, and also makes me want a 224 Valk rifle.

Thanks - T

Posted: May 24, 2018 at 9:58 Quote
Any fish in the pond?

Posted: May 24, 2018 at 10:39 Quote
togood2die wrote:
TYVM, yes, it is...
We got this place sigh-unseen, moving from FL to here. Very blessed.

Still don't have a bike, but I'll have one soon.

I set up targets in the treelines, and I have some steel way down to the right out of frame, almost 600y out. Makes for good AR practice, and also makes me want a 224 Valk rifle.

Thanks - T

Amazing, sounds like the American dream right there. In college now, but the goal is to have a property like that one day.

Posted: May 24, 2018 at 11:52 Quote
Fish: Yes! Smallmouth and about 5 species of panfish. There's a small tributary that feeds it from the left, and exits under that tree behind, then curls down thru the pasture and into the Broad River, which is at the first heavy treeline before the hills in the background. The Broad in this section is harder to fish than some others nearby like the Green and Pacolet rivers, b/c its moving quickly out of Lake Lure, where it's dam controlled.

We're 20 minutes from Lake Lure and 30 from Chimney Rock, and very close to the world-class trails in Pisgah, Dupont, and Tsali is only a couple hours, but it's the local hiking and biking that rocks.

Here's our county alone, and this doesn't count private and restricted use trails.
http://www.rutherfordoutdoor.org/trails-overview

Yeah this place is nice. Eventually we're aiming for bigger, but bikes, horses, and motorcycles first!

Eventually it's western Montana or Eastern Idaho, 500+ acres. One day!

Thanks - T

O+
Posted: May 24, 2018 at 12:15 Quote
togood2die wrote:
Fish: Yes! Smallmouth and about 5 species of panfish. There's a small tributary that feeds it from the left, and exits under that tree behind, then curls down thru the pasture and into the Broad River, which is at the first heavy treeline before the hills in the background. The Broad in this section is harder to fish than some others nearby like the Green and Pacolet rivers, b/c its moving quickly out of Lake Lure, where it's dam controlled.

We're 20 minutes from Lake Lure and 30 from Chimney Rock, and very close to the world-class trails in Pisgah, Dupont, and Tsali is only a couple hours, but it's the local hiking and biking that rocks.

Here's our county alone, and this doesn't count private and restricted use trails.
http://www.rutherfordoutdoor.org/trails-overview

Yeah this place is nice. Eventually we're aiming for bigger, but bikes, horses, and motorcycles first!

Eventually it's western Montana or Eastern Idaho, 500+ acres. One day!

Thanks - T

North Western MT.. South Eastern ID is blah..

Posted: May 24, 2018 at 12:30 Quote
Nice. Keep getting skunked with fishing at my local reservoir.

Just got my hands on the Springfield M1903 and Winchester 94. The 1903 is a Springfield made one with serial 211,XXX, looks like the receiver was made either 1906 or 1907. The bolt is stamped with an "R" for Remington which means it was replaced probably at the end of WWI or so, and the barrel has SA 7-42, which means it was rebarreled at some point with a Springfield barrel. There's all the talk of not shooting low numbered 1903s, but since this one went through rebolting and rebarreling, and then at some point was sporterized, I feel like it's been used and might still be okay to use. I'll take it to a smith and see what they say. Only a front sight on it right now and not any typical scope mounts. I'll get some pics up eventually.

Posted: May 24, 2018 at 12:46 Quote
StUone7 wrote:
Nice. Keep getting skunked with fishing at my local reservoir.

Just got my hands on the Springfield M1903 and Winchester 94. The 1903 is a Springfield made one with serial 211,XXX, looks like the receiver was made either 1906 or 1907. The bolt is stamped with an "R" for Remington which means it was replaced probably at the end of WWI or so, and the barrel has SA 7-42, which means it was rebarreled at some point with a Springfield barrel. There's all the talk of not shooting low numbered 1903s, but since this one went through rebolting and rebarreling, and then at some point was sporterized, I feel like it's been used and might still be okay to use. I'll take it to a smith and see what they say. Only a front sight on it right now and not any typical scope mounts. I'll get some pics up eventually.

Very nice. I really want an 03 someday. Just recently traded one of my ARs for a the 03's sibling, the Garand (CMP Special). Love the thing. Excited to hopefully get it out to the long range this weekend with my M1A

Posted: May 24, 2018 at 12:53 Quote
I have two from WWII, one was grandfather's Garand, and the other was a "liberated" Thompson.

UNFORTUNATELY the family was forced to register it when it was discovered by the probate officer after his death... Really Mad

At any rate, that's now in my family's gun trust.

I've bought and sold others, but mostly as a moneymaking effort, not to keep them.

Thanks - T

Shizzle, thinking of it, I need to update the trust when the oldest turns 18, and she'll have to be printed and entered as an adult... So much work but it's useful.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014805
Mobile Version of Website