Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 16:14 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
EdwardN wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

Having had that happen to me(breaking a saint axle) it sucks... CSB?
it just pisses me off now cause their pushing me to buy a brand new hub off them
It may be possible to use an M820 axle.
would it be possible to use any 12x150 axle? or do saint hubs use a saint specific axle

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 16:16 Quote
EdwardN wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
EdwardN wrote:

it just pisses me off now cause their pushing me to buy a brand new hub off them
would it be possible to use any 12x150 axle? or do saint hubs use a saint specific axle
just quickly took a look at lambert's site (the only shimano distributor in canada) and according to the site you should be able to get JUST the axle... heres the link: http://www.cycleslambert.com/sites/en/Catalog/Enterprise%20Portal/clEPCSSItemDescription.aspx?division=0&portalid=090436-01&WCMP=cl&WCIV=635524712826732095

Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 16:19 Quote
EdwardN wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
EdwardN wrote:

Its not the through axle that broke is the center axle in the hub, which is specific to that hub.

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 16:32 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
EdwardN wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

Its not the through axle that broke is the center axle in the hub, which is specific to that hub.
damn, well i cant really afford buying a brand new hub

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 16:33 Quote
EdwardN wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
EdwardN wrote:

damn, well i cant really afford a brand new hub so i guess i have to buy that part then

Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 17:37 Quote
EdwardN wrote:
EdwardN wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

damn, well i cant really afford a brand new hub so i guess i have to buy that part then

am i misreading in that the lbs claims they broke it upon removal? i would tell them to put a new hub on it.

Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 17:48 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
EdwardN wrote:
EdwardN wrote:

am i misreading in that the lbs claims they broke it upon removal? i would tell them to put a new hub on it.
They claimed it was cracked and snapped when they attempted to work on the hub. Not their fault, those asked aren't the most robust

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 18:57 Quote
vooselagina wrote:
Loctite or anti-seize for direct mount stem?

Anti seize, the rule of thumb is that the torque on the bolts is enough to hold them in.

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 19:36 Quote
rclugnut wrote:
vooselagina wrote:

Anti seize, the rule of thumb is that the torque on the bolts is enough to hold them in.
I disagree completely but ok

Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 20:04 Quote
vooselagina....good onelol

Posted: Nov 25, 2014 at 1:03 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
Opened up my 2013 rockshox sektor rl, and I'm wondering if it's normal for the solo air chamber to have a red grease in it? I was expecting a fluid. I've had the fork since it was new and it's functioning fine

that sounds right. my new pike was the same and in the air service there's no mention of putting oil in the chambers, not even a small amount for lube. i wouldn't try as the solo-air design relies on a side port in the lowers to allow air around the plug that separates the main and negative chambers but only when at full extension. any oil is going to just drain into the neg chamber and do no good down there.

the red grease sounds like that RS red-gum (??) stuff. just make sure you got some on the plunger o-rings and stuff.

Posted: Nov 25, 2014 at 1:44 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
EdwardN wrote:

They claimed it was cracked and snapped when they attempted to work on the hub. Not their fault, those asked aren't the most robust

Shimano are extremely good for spares. Dunno about Canada, but i just looked at the UK distributor and axles for M810 hubs are readily available. Don't see why it would be any different across the pond. Seems a bit odd your lbs is trying to get you to buy a whole new hub (and then charge you for a wheel build as well I assume?) Sounds fishy....

Posted: Nov 25, 2014 at 1:50 Quote
nofear259 wrote:
rclugnut wrote:
vooselagina wrote:

I disagree completely but ok

+1 anti sieze

There are actually hardly any fixings on a bicycle where loctite is a requirement. come to think of it I don't think there are more than a couple of drops of the stuff anywhere on any of my bikes. Got a bit on the shaft head on the rear shock on my dh rig, but that is literally it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020700
Mobile Version of Website