Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
O+
Posted: Dec 1, 2014 at 19:34 Quote
I'm looking at buying a wheelset and I found this one http://canfieldbrothers.com/store/index.php/closeouts/canfield-brothers-26-all-mountain-wheelset.html for sale. The only problem is, the person selling it says it has a 20mm front hub, while my fork has a 15mm thru axle (2014 Fox Talas 34 160mm). Is it possible to convert the 20mm front hub to use a 15mm thru axle by getting an adapter for my axle or for the hub, or is it impossible?

Posted: Dec 1, 2014 at 19:56 Quote
KooKilla wrote:
I'm looking at buying a wheelset and I found this one http://canfieldbrothers.com/store/index.php/closeouts/canfield-brothers-26-all-mountain-wheelset.html for sale. The only problem is, the person selling it says it has a 20mm front hub, while my fork has a 15mm thru axle (2014 Fox Talas 34 160mm). Is it possible to convert the 20mm front hub to use a 15mm thru axle by getting an adapter for my axle or for the hub, or is it impossible?

You should be good here is what CFB is selling on the by sell if you have nay specific Q's they are really good about answering, but it lists front hub as 15 or 20...

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1649142/

O+
Posted: Dec 1, 2014 at 19:58 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
KooKilla wrote:

You should be good here is what CFB is selling on the by sell if you have nay specific Q's they are really good about answering, but it lists front hub as 15 or 20...

Im not buying from them. There is someone selling the same wheelset for like 100 bucks cheaper.

Posted: Dec 1, 2014 at 20:14 Quote
KooKilla wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
KooKilla wrote:

Im not buying from them. There is someone selling the same wheelset for like 100 bucks cheaper.

yeah but they will still answer Q's they are cool. that link just has the specs for the wheelset you need. Smile

Posted: Dec 1, 2014 at 20:20 Quote
Not Completely sure if this fits in this thread, but I am just curious to know why rear shock coils are coated with a black protective paint? I've seen plenty of plain naturally oxidized steel coils and quite like the look. I have done it before on a fox Van R and liked the results. Are there any other advantages of having this paint? Because if not, I will gladly apply paint stripper for a nicer finish. Smile

Posted: Dec 1, 2014 at 20:27 Quote
eadenmtbr wrote:
Not Completely sure if this fits in this thread, but I am just curious to know why rear shock coils are coated with a black protective paint? I've seen plenty of plain naturally oxidized steel coils and quite like the look. I have done it before on a fox Van R and liked the results. Are there any other advantages of having this paint? Because if not, I will gladly apply paint stripper for a nicer finish. Smile

dont know but mine has naturally oxidized into rust where the paint is missing.....

Posted: Dec 1, 2014 at 20:32 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
dont know but mine has naturally oxidized into rust where the paint is missing.....

Hmmm ok is it a steel coil aswell?

Posted: Dec 1, 2014 at 20:37 Quote
eadenmtbr wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

yeah you may be thinking of a ti coil which is a type of steel but costs a few hundred bucks. they are kind of greyish looking and are pretty sweet but they'll cost ya cause they're light too.

Posted: Dec 1, 2014 at 20:44 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
eadenmtbr wrote:

This removing the paint will speed up the oxidation or corrosion time. The paint is there to slow down the corrosion. The steel against the aluminum is one factor of corrosion dissimilar metals.

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 at 3:38 Quote
Hi all. My KS Eten post has gotten about six 7mm long vertical scratches all parallel to each other on the top of the stanchion. It doesn't seem to be deep, only scratching the coating off, but due to the post being made of steel I'm afraid of it corroding with the coating removed. Also, the scratches are pointing towards the stem of the bike with about two of the scratched being hidden behind the cable so I doubt it was scratched during transport of in a crash. Could there be something underneath the seals scratching it? I'll try and get pictures later. Thanks guysSalute

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 at 4:29 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
eadenmtbr wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

yeah you may be thinking of a ti coil which is a type of steel but costs a few hundred bucks. they are kind of greyish looking and are pretty sweet but they'll cost ya cause they're light too.

Ti coils are actually made of Titanium. They're lighter than steel coils and don't oxidise as readily.

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 at 6:18 Quote
eadenmtbr wrote:

It staves off rust. Rust is bad. Not only cos it dramatically shortens the lifespan of your spring, but also cos it will f**k up your shock.

Get a Ti spring. Problem solved.

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 at 6:51 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
eadenmtbr wrote:

Ti coils are actually made of Titanium. They're lighter than steel coils and don't oxidise as readily.

Sorry you are right there. Smile

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 at 8:42 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
Hi all. My KS Eten post has gotten about six 7mm long vertical scratches all parallel to each other on the top of the stanchion. It doesn't seem to be deep, only scratching the coating off, but due to the post being made of steel I'm afraid of it corroding with the coating removed. Also, the scratches are pointing towards the stem of the bike with about two of the scratched being hidden behind the cable so I doubt it was scratched during transport of in a crash. Could there be something underneath the seals scratching it? I'll try and get pictures later. Thanks guysSalute
Sounds like a bushing problem, I wouldn't ride it until you've got it sorted

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 at 8:55 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:
Sounds like a bushing problem, I wouldn't ride it until you've got it sorted
I give it a proper open up later. Thanks for your help!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.033254
Mobile Version of Website