YT Capra Owners

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 12:28 Quote
Im 5ft 9 on a medium Pro and it fits great. I think if you 5ft 10 you may be border line on a large.

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 12:31 Quote
Liambass wrote:
Thanks!
I phoned YT today in regards to an XL size. I told them I'd seen the vid of their owner talking about it. Despite this they told me there are no plans for an XL at the moment!
Frustrating!

Seems weird that YT's size guide says the large should be good for someone up to 6'5 if it's gonna be a squeeze for me at 6'2.

Any 6'2 plus riders on Capra's out there?!

GravesendGrunt wrote:
Can't help you with that myself , I'm 5'7" and Medium fits me well .YT have an XL on the way though so don't rush to squeeze into a Large http://dirtmountainbike.com/news/first-look-yt-capra-aluminium-2015.html#7vyj7pHKomOjHSSz.97
Liambass wrote:
Hi all.

I'm sure this has been done to death, but I cant find much online.
I'm thinking of dropping my hard earned on a Large Capra Al 2. Website says it's suitable for 184 to 196cm tall. I'm 188 (6'2).
I've heard they come up short. Any 6'2 plus riders on large Capra's?! Help!

I ride a large Wicked and I'm 6'5" and don't have an issue so I can't see that the Capra would be much different

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 12:49 Quote
MrIntense50 wrote:
Here's what I got back from YT, when I said I wanted the Capra to race enduro but was concerned with the sizing..(i'm 5'9", 30" inside leg). "Don't confuse enduro with all mountain...You are right in the middle sizing wise, but a large makes no sense for your intended use".

Interesting, and to a certain degree I can see there point in that you'd want a long back for long pedaling all mountain stuff and for enduro you'd want a bike that feels more like a downhill bike, as enduro is more about attacking the downhills than all day epics.

Still think it's mainly going to come down to personal preference.

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 13:02 Quote
[Quote="barnylondon"]
Tracer1974 wrote:
Has anyone with a Pro adjusted the Kirk air chamber volume ? I have , I removed two o rings and now its sooooo plush but still supportive and
Now I use nearly all the travel regularly but never bottom out, I think that many riders would benefit from adding or removing o rings.

I was out today hitting some hard downhill but not getting full travel .... everythi g set correctly .... how do you remove the rings\[/Quote

Hi, let air out of the shock, grip the Positive aircan ( the wide part with the Kirk decal on it )
turn it by hand anti clockwise and remove , you will see two o rings fitted as standard. The Kirk on the Capra ramps at 60% stroke and each o ring adds about 5% to that.
You may find the aircan tight, I used washing up gloves for grip and started it off turning whilst it was still fitted to the bike.
DO NOT USE ANY TOOLS !!!!! just hand tighten/loosen.

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 13:07 Quote
[Quote="Tracer1974"]
ellsbells1973 wrote:
loving my capra, with added 32t oval chainring
photo
[/Quote

Hi what make and how much difference does it make?

My own option says no, but maybe I need to stop getting off and pushing

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 13:09 Quote
Manfield42 wrote:
ellsbells1973 wrote:
photo

Ooooo how are you getting on with the oval chain ring. I've been looking at them for some time now but haven't done anything about it yet. Is yours the Absolute Black one?

It's still early days for the oval ring but at the moment I can't really tell, and yes it's the absolute black one

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 13:16 Quote
Hi All
Just a quick one if you can help. I damaged my DT swiss rear axle and need a replacement. Can someone please confirm if this one is suitable. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/dt-swiss-rws-x-lock-alloy/rp-prod123931

It is the alloy body and not the plastic body. Someone suggested the supplied ones are titanium, however I can't even see them listed on the DTS site.

Ps loving the goat (pro Large), PB's every ride, just keep getting faster. Roll on race season.
Thanks

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 13:22 Quote
Glad you're pleased with the large. How tall are you?

sydneygunn wrote:
Hi All
Just a quick one if you can help. I damaged my DT swiss rear axle and need a replacement. Can someone please confirm if this one is suitable. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/dt-swiss-rws-x-lock-alloy/rp-prod123931

It is the alloy body and not the plastic body. Someone suggested the supplied ones are titanium, however I can't even see them listed on the DTS site.

Ps loving the goat (pro Large), PB's every ride, just keep getting faster. Roll on race season.
Thanks

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 13:35 Quote
Liambass wrote:
Glad you're pleased with the large. How tall are you?

sydneygunn wrote:
Hi All

Thanks

I'm 5'11. As mentioned many times. below 5'10 = medium, above = large to 6'1

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 14:02 Quote
lukachadwick wrote:
Sorry - RE the pike, again, do you think that if I ran 1 Bottemless Token (instead of 2) it would seem more progressive/ supportive as the transition between the beginning and en of the stroke would be less harsh/fast? Is it worth a try?

For reference, my pike doesn't seem to keep up with me and before I play with internals I'm going to +LSC, speed up rebound and soften te fork a touch. All at different stages not necessarily in the mentioned order.

Are you getting full travel with two tokens at 25% sag(or so)? If you are you'll prob find you start bottoming out with only 1 token at the same sag setting. I run 1 token and 25 -30% sag(I'm around 12 stone) and its spot on. I'd deffo give 1 token a try, there that easy to change you could prob do it trail side and do a couple runs back to back with 1 then 2 tokens. Judging by your Instagram mate it looks like you like hitting the jumps, is that why your running 2 tokens? to avoid bottoming on some big landings?

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 20:08 Quote
garnett01 wrote:
lukachadwick wrote:
Sorry - RE the pike, again, do you think that if I ran 1 Bottemless Token (instead of 2) it would seem more progressive/ supportive as the transition between the beginning and en of the stroke would be less harsh/fast? Is it worth a try?

For reference, my pike doesn't seem to keep up with me and before I play with internals I'm going to +LSC, speed up rebound and soften te fork a touch. All at different stages not necessarily in the mentioned order.

Are you getting full travel with two tokens at 25% sag(or so)? If you are you'll prob find you start bottoming out with only 1 token at the same sag setting. I run 1 token and 25 -30% sag(I'm around 12 stone) and its spot on. I'd deffo give 1 token a try, there that easy to change you could prob do it trail side and do a couple runs back to back with 1 then 2 tokens. Judging by your Instagram mate it looks like you like hitting the jumps, is that why your running 2 tokens? to avoid bottoming on some big landings?

Ok thanks. It was mainly because I was going to be using it for dh so I want it to recover well after repetitive hits as well as absorbing landings.

Posted: Feb 4, 2015 at 0:41 Quote
lukachadwick wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:
All this talk about long top tubes. I remember back in the day when top tubes were shorter than a trek scratch! I also know of a certain dh family who helped develop a certain furious dh bike with a massive top tube. I believe Gee is now riding a medium rather than a large cos it's too long.

It's all trends, and I'm sure in a few years we will be laughing at mega long to tubes, just like we laugh at 120mm Stems now. ....
Don't forget the very successful, insanely short specialized demo.

I think it called development, almost evolution, of the bike / geo. Sure some extreme stuff falls away, but the general trends then get more and more widely adapted as they are better! I'm sure the Penny Farthing guys said the same things at some point ;-) I did ride an older style downhill bike in Peru last year, worked well enough when I got used to it but modern Capra / Spicy would have been better for going down and then hugely better for pedalling up hills too...just shows ya.

We won't be going back to longer stems, to steeper angles, to shorter top tubes, but it does raise the question where we will stop (bit like MX bikes, their geometry has evolved to a point where it doesn't change too much at all)? There is a really good article about this where a guys has studied what is optimum, and he showed there is a limit to TT length, but is still longer than most are currently....I'll try and find it......

Posted: Feb 4, 2015 at 0:51 Quote
[Quote="ellsbells1973"]
Tracer1974 wrote:
ellsbells1973 wrote:
photo
[/Quote

Hi what make and how much difference does it make?

My own option says no, but maybe I need to stop getting off and pushing

Cheers for info ...

Posted: Feb 4, 2015 at 0:57 Quote
JasenK wrote:
lukachadwick wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:
All this talk about long top tubes. I remember back in the day when top tubes were shorter than a trek scratch! I also know of a certain dh family who helped develop a certain furious dh bike with a massive top tube. I believe Gee is now riding a medium rather than a large cos it's too long.

It's all trends, and I'm sure in a few years we will be laughing at mega long to tubes, just like we laugh at 120mm Stems now. ....

I think it called development, almost evolution, of the bike / geo. Sure some extreme stuff falls away, but the general trends then get more and more widely adapted as they are better! I'm sure the Penny Farthing guys said the same things at some point ;-) I did ride an older style downhill bike in Peru last year, worked well enough when I got used to it but modern Capra / Spicy would have been better for going down and then hugely better for pedalling up hills too...just shows ya.

We won't be going back to longer stems, to steeper angles, to shorter top tubes, but it does raise the question where we will stop (bit like MX bikes, their geometry has evolved to a point where it doesn't change too much at all)? There is a really good article about this where a guys has studied what is optimum, and he showed there is a limit to TT length, but is still longer than most are currently....I'll try and find it......

Here it is...very interesting (read both parts):

http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/size-matters-why-were-all-riding-bikes-that-are-too-small-321374

Posted: Feb 4, 2015 at 0:58 Quote
JasenK wrote:
lukachadwick wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:

1000mm bars, Zero stems and 700mm top tubes... the way forward! Yes you're right, there is a balance, and as a designer I know that evolution plays a big part, as does marketing even more... Were we all happy with 26 inch wheels? err... yes. Do we all need 650b wheels? Well, we've got little choice if we want to buy a new 160mm travel bike now. The bike companies must be creaming their pants at the new sales. I'm very happy with my Capra, and I'll get to ride it back to back in a few weeks with a CF Canyon Strive Race to see if that 40mm longer TT makes any difference. My Pro is cracked by the way... I wonder if I can get the Blue one as a replacement!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017374
Mobile Version of Website