Post your 4X bikes

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Post your 4X bikes
Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 21:30 Quote
Where are you looking? I can still get 9 speed ultegra and DA stuff at work.

Posted: Apr 22, 2015 at 21:54 Quote
Go clutch mech, they're great an you can mod them for 9speed

Posted: May 1, 2015 at 2:47 Quote
Hello guys.

So I had a slight change in the 4x build plan but it's slowly coming together round a different frame. I've decided I aren't going to bother trying to buy budget but good parts and just plan on building an all-out monster over the summer. Some of the parts I already have include a full x0 7spd setup with x0 guide, renthal fatbars and looking to maybe get Guide brakes...

My question is what rims are the best strength to weight without going full carbon? I'll be running pro2 hubs most likely, heard good things about Stan's rims but never looked into them.

Posted: May 1, 2015 at 6:06 Quote
Definitely weenie out on the fork but get a proper set of rims so you don't have a noodly front. Or run a Pike DJ and a semi-noodly wheel as a light front wheel really changes up how fast you accelerate. But never a noodly XC fork AND a noodly wheel.... unless you want to oversteer on every corner to ride it properly lol

Strength to weight wise, I'd look into the Flow EX. Always a great contender that's very popular among racers here. Also, DT Swiss just came out with the new EX 471 rims (that Aaron Gwin rode down the WC DH track on his rear rim and ended up looking perfectly fine dent-wise ._.) that is just 475 grams (15 grams lighter than the Flow EX) and 25mm inner width (versus the 25.5mm on the Flow EX).

Posted: May 1, 2015 at 6:11 Quote
I'm pretty sure there are some pretty light weight but stiff forks out there now? No need to go full noodle.

Posted: May 1, 2015 at 6:24 Quote
I went with a 3.4 pound for and a 635 gram front wheel. That's what I consider full noodle, and I cannot recommend unless 120# wet! But if you're going all out, definitely get the Pike DJ or 36 831!

As for the rim, my vote is on the EX471

edit; I do not believe the 831 is 3.4 pounds. Fox Otter article seemed to not say....... JUST HOW CAN IT BE 3.4

Posted: May 1, 2015 at 6:46 Quote
Right I'll have a look at Flow EX. I think that's what I got suggested by someone else anyway Smile

Fork wise I'm not sure what I'm going for. It has to be straight steerer though so no pike DJ Frown

Thinking I'll either be going lowered 55RC3Ti or 36 Float kashima...

Posted: May 1, 2015 at 7:27 Quote
For rims why not WTB KOM either i23 or i25 depending on what width you want.

Could go with a 20mm or 15mm Reba for the fork.

Posted: May 1, 2015 at 7:52 Quote
PMayhew99 wrote:
For rims why not WTB KOM either i23 or i25 depending on what width you want.

Could go with a 20mm or 15mm Reba for the fork.

Such good rims. No idea how mine haven't broken yet.

Posted: May 1, 2015 at 8:09 Quote
rAtty-c wrote:
Right I'll have a look at Flow EX. I think that's what I got suggested by someone else anyway Smile

Fork wise I'm not sure what I'm going for. It has to be straight steerer though so no pike DJ Frown

Thinking I'll either be going lowered 55RC3Ti or 36 Float kashima...

I run Flow EX on my Five and now only Charge Blender, it's not a full on race weapon as I don't race but sees me down the odd 4X track and round the odd BMX track. Not given them a real thrashing yet but so far so good!

Updated photo following the rebuild of the Charge Blender

PS I'm may be tempted to sell my 1 1/8th 36's off my Five to get some lighter Pikes, feel free to PM me.

Posted: May 2, 2015 at 6:58 Quote
May be tempted on them forks will. Not sure when I'll have money for them though! KOM rims look bloody good for the price too, love the graphics on them.

I think I'm decided on spec list which is good news! Now to buy what's left and hope it all goes well.

Finally, sorry for all the questions btw! But does anyone have any info on riding 4x at the Manchester bmx track? I think it was Joe that rode it recently? I've looked on the website at the timetable but it was beyond useless.

Posted: May 2, 2015 at 8:33 Quote
@ratty, yep it was me, easiest thing is to email them and see what sessions you can do. I think you have to do Friday induction if you haven't ridden there before but yeah, drop them an email to find out everything
Views: 774    Faves: 2    Comments: 8

Posted: May 2, 2015 at 12:05 Quote
rAtty-c wrote:
May be tempted on them forks will. Not sure when I'll have money for them though! KOM rims look bloody good for the price too, love the graphics on them.

I think I'm decided on spec list which is good news! Now to buy what's left and hope it all goes well.

Finally, sorry for all the questions btw! But does anyone have any info on riding 4x at the Manchester bmx track? I think it was Joe that rode it recently? I've looked on the website at the timetable but it was beyond useless.

If you're going for the I23 KOM, check out the E13 TRS+ as well. Pretty similar rims, you might get one cheaper.

O+
Posted: May 4, 2015 at 13:25 Quote
@Joebohobo, Do they do regular gate nights at the indoor track? I went to the outdoor track at Platt Fields for thursday gates every week for 2 years but that was before the indoor track was built. Do they still do gates at Platt Fields as well?

Posted: May 4, 2015 at 15:04 Quote
@jamesoliver, I think so. I think they're counted as club nights on thursday evening but this is only from what I've heard and when I saw the timetable a couple of months back, I live a few hours away from it so don't know too much about it

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025814
Mobile Version of Website