What helmets & goggles do you use?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What helmets & goggles do you use?
O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2015 at 23:20 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
September.......estimated release.
But no price yet Frown
it's carbon and might have some special safety features other than just the regular EPS foam so definitely going to be above the 400 range which in my mind is just crazy for a helmet but ill still pay for it!.

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2015 at 23:23 Quote
schuster19 wrote:
bikebike69 wrote:
But no price yet Frown
it's carbon and might have some special safety features other than just the regular EPS foam so definitely going to be above the 400 range which in my mind is just crazy for a helmet but ill still pay for it!.
i cant justify paying that much for a helmet because after 1 or 2 bad crashes you need a new one.

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2015 at 23:28 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
schuster19 wrote:
bikebike69 wrote:
But no price yet Frown
i cant justify paying that much for a helmet because after 1 or 2 bad crashes you need a new one.
but the more you pay, usually, the safer the helmet gets... you can pay for the $650 for the moto9 flex that will give you the best safety and security or you could go for a 661 comp helmet which is pretty cheap but wont give you close to the saftey the moto9 flex does

Posted: Jul 28, 2015 at 23:34 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
schuster19 wrote:
bikebike69 wrote:
But no price yet Frown

One blow to the helmet and you need to replace you're super expensive helmet,in the past I only rode high end helmets but since I had destroyed a view in a crash I'm as happy to wear a helmet under 200 bucks instead of wearing a 500+ helmet.If i destroy one in a crash it won't hurt my wallet.

Posted: Jul 28, 2015 at 23:36 Quote
Eh, at least it isn't like the 6D helmets. $750 for a helmet? No thank you. The $200 helmets do the job just fine. That being said, I wouldn't really want a helmet below $100 unless it's like a year or two old and brand new.

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2015 at 23:37 Quote
i got my bell transfer 9 for 80$ on jensen and i dont see the need for anything more "high end"

Posted: Jul 29, 2015 at 1:35 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
schuster19 wrote:
bikebike69 wrote:
But no price yet Frown

Drop a helmet from five feet and you need a new one.

Posted: Jul 29, 2015 at 8:09 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
i got my bell transfer 9 for 80$ on jensen and i dont see the need for anything more "high end"
venting, weight, other safety features like mips, or the eject system?

That said, anything over $200 retail is usually fairly safe. Just stay VERY far away from anything without a fiberglass or carbon fiber shell such as the 661 comp.

Posted: Jul 29, 2015 at 9:42 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Giladgu wrote:

That said, anything over $200 retail is usually fairly safe. Just stay VERY far away from anything without a fiberglass or carbon fiber shell such as the 661 comp.

Plastic shell is no good. On a hard impact, it'll transfer the force into your head instead of breaking like a carbon or fiberglass shell does and it weighs a ton. I tried on a 661 comp and didn't really like it. Save up for the giro cipher. I just got mine yesterday and it fits pretty damn close to perfect with the oakley o-frame and a leatt 5.5

Which full face helmets have MIPS?

Posted: Jul 29, 2015 at 9:56 Quote
millpill wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Giladgu wrote:

Plastic shell is no good. On a hard impact, it'll transfer the force into your head instead of breaking like a carbon or fiberglass shell does and it weighs a ton. I tried on a 661 comp and didn't really like it. Save up for the giro cipher. I just got mine yesterday and it fits pretty damn close to perfect with the oakley o-frame and a leatt 5.5

Here you go:
http://www.mipshelmet.com/time-for-a-new-helmet

Posted: Jul 29, 2015 at 10:39 Quote
what about the low end fox helmets? been tempted of buying a full face, the fly default is nice looking but if I recall correctly it is plastic.

Posted: Jul 29, 2015 at 10:48 Quote
its-chris wrote:
what about the low end fox helmets? been tempted of buying a full face, the fly default is nice looking but if I recall correctly it is plastic.

The new rampage Comp looks like a decent option. It's between the rampage and the rampage carbon. I use to ride with the 100 dollar rampage and I found it super hot and uncomfortable. I like my d3 and my rampage carbon much more. The cipher is also good.

Posted: Jul 29, 2015 at 11:28 Quote
pm148 wrote:
its-chris wrote:

The new rampage Comp looks like a decent option. It's between the rampage and the rampage carbon. I use to ride with the 100 dollar rampage and I found it super hot and uncomfortable. I like my d3 and my rampage carbon much more. The cipher is also good.

The D3 is a really good helmet, one of the best imo, but its only if you have money. Cipher is also a really nice helmet. It fits a little on the small side though. I am right between a small and medium and the medium fit perfectly. Its really really light for something under 200 bucks so thats also a plus. If you don't really care about colors, some places still stock the orange camo and the white for around 200 bucks. They were 80 at jenson a few months ago, and I think they still have some in stock, although only in a small though.

Posted: Jul 29, 2015 at 11:35 Quote
Argh I need a big one on bell half shells I'm a large, tried the default and the XL fitted nicely, on fox I think it was an XL or large, would use it more for "enduro"

Posted: Jul 29, 2015 at 12:47 Quote
Hetman64 wrote:
millpill wrote:
Nobble wrote:

Here you go:
http://www.mipshelmet.com/time-for-a-new-helmet

A friend of me was at a seminar with one of engineers behind MIPS technology and according to him it's rather questionable if it's a good idea for biking. Especially on half shell helmets it's a big chance it will rotate and break, leaving the helmet useless. I've even heard about the shell breaking off the helmet and hitting the rider in the face, doing more damage. After all the MIPS technology was designed for military purposes (taking the edge off bullet hits), not bike riding. So personally I think it's just a gimmick to make more money, it won't make the user a lot more safe.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014238
Mobile Version of Website