Official Calgary Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Calgary Riders Thread
O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2014 at 23:51 Quote
NuSkool wrote:
Hey all. Is anyone interested in organizing an introduction to Moose Mountain ride? Or can anyone point to someone who would be interested to help?

I've pretty much got my .243 Racing bike built up and can't wait to take it out in the dirt. I realize it's hard tail but there's got to be some good trails out there for an old BMXer to stretch his legs on. I'm not really into the urban riding thing. I do that all year round when I commute to work. I just want to get some air and taste some dust.

I used to have a few .243 Racing frames back in the day. I was so stoked on them. If you're coming from BMX you might like it, but be prepared for the terrain not being smooth like a BMX track. Pretty damned heavy for hardtails though.

Once I bunker down in Calgary I'll be keen for all sorts of riding. Pretty damn keen to scope out all the local spots when the snow recedes a little. I really gotta get back into it. I'll probably buy a fatbike or something like that - my XC bike for Aussie conditions is a rigid, single speed 26" bike. I figure a fatbike probably makes sense if you have early/end of season slush.

I'm well aware of the above accommodation offer, but if you were a mountain biker/snowboarder where abouts would you place yourself geographically in the city? Is there any area where you get much shorter trip times if you were going out for a ride in Summer? e.g. COP is SW, Banff is W, Bragg is SW.... makes me think SW is the quadrant to be in. Is there anything going for the other areas of Calgary? I'll have to figure commuting in once I get there (working in CBD most likely with intermittent field work in the North)

Cheers in advance Smile

O+
Posted: Mar 9, 2014 at 5:03 Quote
Mitch243 wrote:
NuSkool wrote:
Hey all. Is anyone interested in organizing an introduction to Moose Mountain ride? Or can anyone point to someone who would be interested to help?

I've pretty much got my .243 Racing bike built up and can't wait to take it out in the dirt. I realize it's hard tail but there's got to be some good trails out there for an old BMXer to stretch his legs on. I'm not really into the urban riding thing. I do that all year round when I commute to work. I just want to get some air and taste some dust.

I used to have a few .243 Racing frames back in the day. I was so stoked on them. If you're coming from BMX you might like it, but be prepared for the terrain not being smooth like a BMX track. Pretty damned heavy for hardtails though.

Once I bunker down in Calgary I'll be keen for all sorts of riding. Pretty damn keen to scope out all the local spots when the snow recedes a little. I really gotta get back into it. I'll probably buy a fatbike or something like that - my XC bike for Aussie conditions is a rigid, single speed 26" bike. I figure a fatbike probably makes sense if you have early/end of season slush.

I'm well aware of the above accommodation offer, but if you were a mountain biker/snowboarder where abouts would you place yourself geographically in the city? Is there any area where you get much shorter trip times if you were going out for a ride in Summer? e.g. COP is SW, Banff is W, Bragg is SW.... makes me think SW is the quadrant to be in. Is there anything going for the other areas of Calgary? I'll have to figure commuting in once I get there (working in CBD most likely with intermittent field work in the North)

Cheers in advance Smile

North-wurst, west, sw, or even deep SE are good areas. I'm in the deep SE and can be in Bragg in 40 min. Door to trail. NW is super close to everything.

Posted: Mar 9, 2014 at 9:00 Quote
astorms wrote:
Mitch243 wrote:
NuSkool wrote:

Cheers in advance Smile

North-wurst, west, sw, or even deep SE are good areas. I'm in the deep SE and can be in Bragg in 40 min. Door to trail. NW is super close to everything.
I am NW cop is 10min from me banff is real close too. the only down side of the NW is fish creek is far but most of the other stuff is good.

Posted: Mar 9, 2014 at 9:05 Quote
Stay clear of the NE Wink

Posted: Mar 9, 2014 at 9:45 Quote
Quebec2010DH wrote:
Stay clear of the NE Wink

Yeah stay away...... no one likes big yards, mountain views big garages and cheap rent......oh and the best food spots in the city

CM!

Posted: Mar 9, 2014 at 10:04 Quote
I live an hour north of calgary, so I cant suggest the best areas of the city to live in, but I can suggest some locations you need to be aware of:

1. http://calgarysbestpubs.com/kilkenny/
2. http://calgary.craftbeermarket.ca/
3. http://bottlescrewbill.com/

I am sure there are many other favorite pubs that people could list for you, but I have it on good authority that these are excellent places.. So maybe you should pick a place that is in the middle of these?

Posted: Mar 9, 2014 at 10:22 Quote
Within 5 minutes from my place (nw) you can be on the highway out of town towards the mountains, there is a pretty decent trail network right out my back door in the bow river valley, and we are only 10-15 minutes from downtown. Good ol silver springs.

Posted: Mar 11, 2014 at 7:00 Quote
I have to say I second avoiding the NE. Unless you work in the NE or live right on the train line there is no real decent way to make it around town without some long drives. I have a few houses up there, 2 brand new ones in Skyview Ranch, yet I still choose to rent them out and live in my condo in Silver Springs. The Crowchild NW corridor is my favourite place to live, I can get to Bragg Creek in 40 minutes, Airdrie in 20 minutes and downtown during rush hour in 20. Not only that but the Bow Valley is a much prettier place to live than the paskapoo plains you find in the NE. The older neighbourhoods are surrounded by shopping and little pubs while the new subdivisions are really quite bland in my opinion.

Montgomery or Bridgeland are also a pretty chill parts of town to live in if you like a more "urban" lifestyle as well with the advantage being that if you work downtown they are a relatively short jog to work and back.

O+
Posted: Mar 11, 2014 at 16:35 Quote
cueTIP wrote:
I have to say I second avoiding the NE. Unless you work in the NE or live right on the train line there is no real decent way to make it around town without some long drives. I have a few houses up there, 2 brand new ones in Skyview Ranch, yet I still choose to rent them out and live in my condo in Silver Springs. The Crowchild NW corridor is my favourite place to live, I can get to Bragg Creek in 40 minutes, Airdrie in 20 minutes and downtown during rush hour in 20. Not only that but the Bow Valley is a much prettier place to live than the paskapoo plains you find in the NE.

Im hearing the same from the nice folk Im currently staying with at Oakridge. More and more Im liking the sound of NW, haven't managed to get up there for a look around yet though.

Posted: Mar 11, 2014 at 23:29 Quote
Mitch243 wrote:
cueTIP wrote:
I have to say I second avoiding the NE. Unless you work in the NE or live right on the train line there is no real decent way to make it around town without some long drives. I have a few houses up there, 2 brand new ones in Skyview Ranch, yet I still choose to rent them out and live in my condo in Silver Springs. The Crowchild NW corridor is my favourite place to live, I can get to Bragg Creek in 40 minutes, Airdrie in 20 minutes and downtown during rush hour in 20. Not only that but the Bow Valley is a much prettier place to live than the paskapoo plains you find in the NE.

Im hearing the same from the nice folk Im currently staying with at Oakridge. More and more Im liking the sound of NW, haven't managed to get up there for a look around yet though.
NW defintly has some good riding spots as well, real nice and close to TLC

Posted: Mar 14, 2014 at 19:22 Quote
I don't no about the rest of you lads but I am stoked for bike season this year! New dh pig and dirt jumper who ever wants to join our crew for some rides give me a shout looking like Swansea will be a bloody soon!!!! AT

O+
Posted: Mar 15, 2014 at 8:36 Quote
austentanney wrote:
I don't no about the rest of you lads but I am stoked for bike season this year! New dh pig and dirt jumper who ever wants to join our crew for some rides give me a shout looking like Swansea will be a bloody soon!!!! AT

Know the feeling, I got a new DH rig plus I'm now in a country with some vert - I'm ready for some stoke!

Posted: Mar 15, 2014 at 8:40 Quote
Im pretty sure in a couple weeks ill be able to rip around on my ramps and stuff.. cant wait for the trails at Bragg Creek though.

O+
Posted: Mar 15, 2014 at 8:50 Quote
My XC bike in Australia was a 26" rigid/single speed. It seems that a more applicable bike over here would be a fatbike for when the ground is still slushy, or coming into summer is that less of an issue?

Wondering whether I go the 26"/29"/Fatbike route for my Canadian XC bike. FYI it's going to be rigid and single speed again. Too much fun.

Posted: Mar 15, 2014 at 9:13 Quote
austentanney wrote:
I'm in the same boat just got a new downhill bike pretty stoked on this season. Feel free to pinkbike message me about rides I'm interested. On a side note myself and a couple buddy's are looking for some decated people to film and shoot photos with. If anyone is interested feel free to pinkbike message me.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018397
Mobile Version of Website