You know you work in a bikeshop when...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
You know you work in a bikeshop when...
Posted: Jun 6, 2016 at 23:29 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
Ok, does anyone internationally have any contact info for anyone that works at NS Bike Co? They don't respond to the online "Contact Us" email page unfortunately. Looking for a sales rep, a shop employee, a warehouse worker, anything.

You can try contacting lama cycles as well.

Posted: Jun 7, 2016 at 7:31 Quote
Finally got ahold of a guy at NS last night. Hopefully he can help out.

Unfortunately we are not setup as a dealer with Lama, and they are out of the orange frames as well.

Posted: Jun 8, 2016 at 5:30 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
I have tried EPing from NS direct and they said contact your nearest distributor, I was looking at a Snaab and was told to hit up NZ. Funny, I got a response within a day every time I've needed to contact them.

The NZ crew that deals with NS are rad folk.

Posted: Jun 9, 2016 at 10:58 Quote
I had a woman call the store I work at asking if we had any quad bike inner tubes and if we could fix her quad's wheel since she needed it for that afternoon, on a sunday btw.
I've also had rich kids and their parents asking us if we sell swegways.
Gotta love the great british public

Posted: Jun 9, 2016 at 17:16 Quote
random q for UK mechs. Any of you ever worked for rutland cycles?

Posted: Jun 10, 2016 at 17:36 Quote
Had a fairly nicely dressed customer recently who's been in a few times, discussing numerous things he's thinking of buying. A few months back he was looking at a fairly expensive softshell which we've been selling off to clear space for new seasons of kit. After spending easily close to half hour with the guy discussing how it worked, other options and having him try a few on, he settled on the one he wanted. The jacket was already at 40% off, however when we got to the till, out his phone came and he searched for it cheaper. Eventually he found it for £4 cheaper on Amazon, and requested the jacket have another £10 knocked off. Spent a while explaining that at 40% off, it's a pretty good deal already, and he could actually walk out of the shop that minute with a jacket instead of waiting and paying delivery. He eventually came to say how he worked as a sales man and often gave his loyal customers "deals" off prices to keep them happy. I very nearly pointed out that he'd never actually spent a penny in the shop, and instead just wasted several time constantly.
He left without buying the jacket in the end.
He's attempted the same thing pretty much with co2 pumps more recently, and helmets again today.
One of our most frustrating customers to date I think....

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2016 at 20:53 Quote
I have a regular who comes in and showrooms our most expensive products, zipps, nice helmets, the new domane, etc... i then saw him at another bike shop (i was saying hi to a buddy whilst on a ride) he had all of the products that he likes to look at and check out, on his bike. mind you he never has bought a thing from us, except for the occasional tube...

i feel your pain alexxxxC

Posted: Jun 10, 2016 at 22:46 Quote
i just start raising the price when they do that. lol alright that 70$ helmet is now 80$

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2016 at 23:01 Quote
You know you work in a bikeshop when...you think 10% off is some kind of deal and that you are doing a favor to a customer by "allowing them" to order stuff through your shop. . . for full price. . .paid upfront. . .no returns.

Posted: Jun 11, 2016 at 5:45 Quote
You don't work in a shop do you....

Posted: Jun 11, 2016 at 7:44 Quote
unrooted wrote:
You know you work in a bikeshop when...you think 10% off is some kind of deal and that you are doing a favor to a customer by "allowing them" to order stuff through your shop. . . for full price. . .paid upfront. . .no returns.
Man, if you got 10% off a bike, you got a pretty damn good deal. The most I can cut the price of a bike down to is like, 5-6%.
And look at the special order thing from the shop's perspective: if the Strait's Puke Brown Straitline pedals you want to order don't look as good in real life as they did online, what's the shop supposed to do with these unsellable pedals? And not wanting to put a deposit down for something that we have to pay freight for? Not really seeing the problem...

At this point, I wish that our retail side never got into the habit of giving deals. I think it's both not fair to us, or our customers; but we've all gotten addicted to them, as either a selling tool or a buying criteria. I almost want to be really honest with people, spelling out percentage margin, because at the end of the day for a healthy relationship, everybody's got to win.

O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2016 at 8:28 Quote
I did work in a shop and between the dick head owner and douchebag manager I quickly learned the "tricks of the trade": talk down to customers and if that doesn't work then make them feel guilty for not buying everything from you. And whatever you do NEVER ADMIT THAT YOUR COMPETITION IS ONLINE STORES.

I don't showroom shops, but I'm also capable of working on my own bikes, and I do a shit-ton of research before I buy. Those are two of the things that bike shops ised to do, but quality mechanic work and salesman that know the product are rare, but you are not there for the customer, you are getting paid to search BTI for a good deal on your personal next set of wheels.

Posted: Jun 11, 2016 at 9:05 Quote
Sounds like you just had shitty bosses. Try working at some other stores before you start slagging all of us Rolleyes I work my ass off for people. I take my down time to look at stuff for myself and tinker with my own bike but only after cleaning and organizing my work area and shit.

Also shops make 30 points on complete bikes and maybe 35-45 points on parts most of the time. Getting 10% off is typically the most shops can afford to give...

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 16:11 Quote
Psa
Anyone else complete the S Tech video to get a free Klean Kanteen Bottle.

3200k left

And a giveaway.

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 16:30 Quote
Tmonster2301 wrote:
Psa
Anyone else complete the S Tech video to get a free Klean Kanteen Bottle.

3200k left

And a giveaway.

just did it lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.031335
Mobile Version of Website