Powered by Outside

i need to lose weight on my bike... and myself but thats besides the point

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
i need to lose weight on my bike... and myself but thats besides the point
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 at 20:22 Quote
my bike is aprox. 31 pounds since i added a juicy 7 in the back. tell me what i could do to lighten it up... and no one say get a lighter fork cuz i just got that one. oh and is 31 lbs ok for a street bike thats cromo???

P.S. i dont have a juicy 7 in those pics just got them like yesterday.

photo

photo

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 7:33 Quote
djwillis wrote:
no one
get new fork's dj's wiegh a ton maybe 4x wc's or pikes

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 7:36 Quote
i wanted the 4X but it was 960$ so that was tooooooo far off my budget, anything else?

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 7:37 Quote
rs pikes are light as

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 7:38 Quote
ino thier light but man thier $$$

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 9:38 Quote
Cut you seatpost, Save some Grams (lol)
Well, I assume they'e DJs if they are thats where the weight is you should of saved up for some Gold Labels or 4Xs.
New wheels (Pro 2 Hubs on EX729)
some Hones would make it lighter
Carbon lever..?
140mm Rotor?

The DMR frame was not a good choice to start with as they're hugely heavy

Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 14:31 Quote
actually for a cromo frame i think its light... the frame

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 1:32 Quote
the 2008 4x is more expensive because it uses the rc3 cartridge, look around for the 2007, and they are generally much cheaper (in the $3-400 range)... other than that, lighter cranks, wheels, and tires is about as much as you can do...

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 1:34 Quote
mabey new bar or stem

FL
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 3:40 Quote
cut your seat post down to about 2" as you have it that low. which will cost you nothing.

other 'cheap' items to lighten eould be your tyres/tubes, bars, stem, cassette. but in total you'll maybe only loose a lb or two.

you could get new wheels and forks which would save 3 or 4 lbs but thats when things get expensive.

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 4:00 Quote
31 lbs isn't too bad, it I were you I'd just go with a few basic things and leave it at that because you could spend up to a few thousand dollars to take a few pounds off but it really won't make much difference when your riding other then that it will become much higher maintenence. For instince I spent a few grand on my bottlerocket to get it from 44lbs down to about 35 and i could hardly notice any difference at all when I was riding it(and about 5lbs of that weightloss was rotational weight), but I did have to replace my expensive lightweight parts a hell of allot more then normal ones. Basicaly this whole lightweight thing is really overated, the gains you get from a 25lb bike over a 28lb bike just aren't worth the money.

A few cheap but effective things you could do would be:

Tires- kenda small block 8's are really light, a 1.95 rear and 2.1 front could save a little over a pound of rotational weight. They might seem really narrow but you don't need wide tires for street, and the small block do measure a bit wider then claimed.

Tubes- depending on what you have now xc tubes could shave alot of weight, they will be weaker but running them at a high pressure will help to prevent pinch flats.

Cut the seat post nice and short.

You could probalby save about 2lbs just with that stuff, and it wouldn't cost too much either. If you want to get really serious about it the frame and fork are the heavier parts of that bike, other then them most of the parts are reasonably light and strong.

If you ever do decide to swap out the fork the 08 gl2 would bee perfect, it only weighs 4.6lbs and it's very affordable compared to the 4x. But you would need a 20mm front hub.

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 4:08 Quote
you also could mabey loss the bash guard is you were serious about losing weight

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 8:01 Quote
ya im taking the bashguard out today and putting a bmx chainring, and would cutting down my seatpost down too 2 inches affect my frame???
And thanks for the advice guys!!! its like my first actual good bike...

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 8:09 Quote
djwillis wrote:
ya im taking the bashguard out today and putting a bmx chainring, and would cutting down my seatpost down too 2 inches affect my frame???
And thanks for the advice guys!!! its like my first actual good bike...

No.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010594
Mobile Version of Website