Powered by Outside

Transition Patrol Bearings

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Patrol Bearings
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2016 at 11:36 Quote
I have seen a few comments on another thread about bearings lasting only a few months on the Patrol frames, so thought I would start a new thread on the topic. My frame showed up with dry bearings. My mechanic took all of the pivots apart prior to completing my build, and found them to be dry, looking like the frame wasn't assembled properly, so my advice is to check your pivot bearings upon delivery, and prior to your build, to make sure that they are lubed properly! Very thankful my mechanic took the time to do this.

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2016 at 16:01 Quote
Apparently I was correct, they don't grease them at the factory!

https://vimeo.com/160012465#embed

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2016 at 13:40 Quote
Brahma wrote:
Apparently I was correct, they don't grease them at the factory!

https://vimeo.com/160012465#embed

This is pretty brutal. That's like buying a car and having to add the oil before you drive it off the lot.... But they don't tell you for a year or so.

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2016 at 9:28 Quote
I feel like this is standard for most bike stuff. i.e., forks coming dry from the factory. I don't like it, but I expect it.

O+
Posted: Apr 17, 2016 at 14:22 Quote
Funny, it seems like they took that video down.

I just got a Smuggler last Monday. Some of the pivots were greased and some not, some tight some not. Assembly folks are definitely not dotting their t's.

Posted: Nov 14, 2016 at 12:53 Quote
I just bought a 2017 Patrol frame... checked the pivot torques and looked inside the pivot bearings while I was at it.

Everything was torqued properly and the bearings had a good amount of grease in them which made me happy.

Posted: Mar 5, 2017 at 19:52 Quote
Just ordered all new frame bearings for my 2016 alloy Patrol. Didn't notice the damage while riding but once disassembled the bearings were all pitted and binding especially the 3802's. I wrote to Transition to see if they'll do anything for me under warranty. I'll post back when I get an answer.

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2017 at 17:51 Quote
Nogan wrote:
Just ordered all new frame bearings for my 2016 alloy Patrol. Didn't notice the damage while riding but once disassembled the bearings were all pitted and binding especially the 3802's. I wrote to Transition to see if they'll do anything for me under warranty. I'll post back when I get an answer.

Ya please let us know!

Posted: Jun 13, 2017 at 17:36 Quote
Yeah I have a carbon that's 4 months old and it came dry and also half of them are already shot.

Posted: Jun 13, 2017 at 18:56 Quote
half-man-half-scab wrote:
I feel like this is standard for most bike stuff. i.e., forks coming dry from the factory. I don't like it, but I expect it.
I gotta agree with that. But the pro is that I get to choose what kinda grease or oil I use in my bike. My TR500 came with very little grease in the bearings, but I got to put my own grease in them, which I liked.

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 4:19 Quote
good to know, i will be getting greasy tonight before this weekends first ride!!

Posted: Jun 29, 2017 at 5:23 Quote
After 2hrs of riding new Patrol...

3 Bearings almost dry
1 stuck solid (hoping now greased will break free next ride)

Rest "ok" and only one looked nicely greased but with different grease to the 3 almost dry (white v honey coloured).

Transition i guess cant check every bearing but the supplier needs to do better than this!

Posted: Jul 17, 2017 at 7:43 Quote
Took shock off to fit some volume spacers and noticed the bearings were also fairly dry, so lubed them up too!

O+
Posted: May 13, 2018 at 6:18 Quote
Main Pivot bearing Removal and Installation

Does anyone know what the best way is to remove the main frame chainstay pivot bearings on the Gen 1 (2017) carbon patrol? The bearings are pressed into the main frame from either side with some kind of spacer in the middle.

Also, does anyone know if Transition has any recommendations on installation of the bearings in their carbon frames? Should they go in dry, with a small layer of carbon compatible grease or with some kind of loctite retaining compound? (I'd really hesitate to do this on a carbon frame unless I'm 100% certain the loctite is compatible with the frame material)

(Also posted in the main Enduro and All mountain forum - I will try to copy any other responses from there to here as well)

Posted: May 13, 2018 at 13:21 Quote
Xorrox wrote:
Does anyone know what the best way is to remove the main frame chainstay pivot bearings on the Gen 1 (2017) carbon patrol? The bearings are pressed into the main frame from either side with some kind of spacer in the middle.

They should come out easily by tapping from the other side with a flat headed screwdriver or something similar and a hammer. The spacer has a notch for that.

Xorrox wrote:
Also, does anyone know if Transition has any recommendations on installation of the bearings in their carbon frames? Should they go in dry, with a small layer of carbon compatible grease or with some kind of loctite retaining compound?

They don't need anything. Just tap them in by using the old bearings on top of new ones.

I had to replace all bearings on my Carbon Scout before even riding it...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011740
Mobile Version of Website