Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

TR Smuggler vs the world

• Previous Page
Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 17:31 Quote
Alright, Smmuggler owners/ anyone really that has ridden this thing.

I'm in the market for a new trail bike. Coming of a v1 Bronson. I want something as fun on the downs, but a better climber. so I figured a new gen aggressive 29 trail bike is my best option.

The new Smuggler is on the top of my list because of their awesome "party in the woods" marketing slogan. Seems to me that everyone raves about their bikes because they are super fun to ride. That's a pretty ambiguous statement, but in all fairness every manufacturer is going to say that. In reality that's what I dig, stupid fast composed descending runs and hucking to flat like I did in my Bronson. I lean towards this bike because its a trail bike, not a sled to take to a bike park like my bronson was. Then there are bikes like the new 130mm Fuel EX 29, the SC Hightower...and so on..Aggresive-Progressive trail 29ers.

So I'm sure those of you who own one really had to do some research and bite the bullet when picking the Smuggler, and compared everything in between. So what is it about this bike that made you guys opt out for this over the other Trail rippers of like caliber?

Smuggler:
Threaded BB, steep ST, slack HT, low BB
Fuel EX 29:
Geo position change, (most capable fuel ex)
Hightower:
Bronson on 29, Shredz fo' dayz, threaded BB, Carbon

Please and thank you on any input.

Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 18:58 Quote
Take a look at the YT Jeffsy as well. One of the better regarded all-mountain 29'ers out there right now.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 13, 2017 at 21:15 Quote
Guerrilla Gravity Slash?

http://ridegg.com/thesmash

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 8:06 Quote
mrtoodles wrote:
Guerrilla Gravity Slash?

That's a bruiser! Did check out the trail pistol and that is one hell of a bike. Thanks for pointing me to another great option.

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 8:10 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
Take a look at the YT Jeffsy as well. One of the better regarded all-mountain 29'ers out there right now.

That's always a worthy contender, I ruled it out because of the product support. If anything goes out on it, it would be difficult dealing with that. They do look awesome and ride awesome I'm sure.

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 9:14 Quote
Rzamvilla wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:

That's always a worthy contender, I ruled it out because of the product support. If anything goes out on it, it would be difficult dealing with that. They do look awesome and ride awesome I'm sure.

Noticed your flag; YT USA has been awesome for support. YT Canada and EU have struggled for sure, but I've got nothing but good things to say about my experience with their customer support. I've dealt with them twice now, and both times they sent out a new part free of charge, no questions asked, and it arrived within 3 days. I know there's the "but the shop is right there", thing, but if you work a day job, it'll take a couple days to get to the shop between when you get off and when they close anyway, so in my experience, having the product on my doorstep in 72 hours has been superior.

I've also followed the owner's forum for over a year, and the only frame failures I've seen were either well-taken care of or people who voided their warranty by over-forking the bike.

But there is that whole waiting two months for a bike thing that kinda sucks....

Hell of a bike though. My Jeffsy is hands-down the most capable and versatile bike I've been on. From near DH gnar to ultra-tight twisty singletrack, it delivers. Thing's a freaking shapeshifter.

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 10:12 Quote
Only issues with YT is that they're relatively short. Fits very different from a Transition or a Kona which as much longer, be careful to compare geo numbers that are comparable to what you enjoy to ride.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 15:01 Quote
Rzamvilla wrote:
mrtoodles wrote:
Guerrilla Gravity Slash?

That's a bruiser! Did check out the trail pistol and that is one hell of a bike. Thanks for pointing me to another great option.

Whoops, yeah thats the one I meant. They're nice and have a good steep SA and long reach like the Smugglers. The YT has a bit more of a kicked back seat angle.

On the cheaper options, check out the Kona Process 111 if you can find one, or the Norco Optic 29er.

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 16:44 Quote
I don't want to sound like I'm knocking your advice mrtoodles, but having demo'ed the Optic, it felt like a total XC bike. It's a bike for an XC racer, looking for a little extra plush. It felt twitchy, which is great on the right trails, but not a "trail bike". I'm a Process 111 owner and while I love it (handles so, so well), it's a tank (ie, not a great peddler). I'd be looking to buy a next-gen bike if I had the money, but I agree with you that it's a good option for a budget.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 20:44 Quote
Adamrideshisbike wrote:
I don't want to sound like I'm knocking your advice mrtoodles, but having demo'ed the Optic, it felt like a total XC bike. It's a bike for an XC racer, looking for a little extra plush. It felt twitchy, which is great on the right trails, but not a "trail bike". I'm a Process 111 owner and while I love it (handles so, so well), it's a tank (ie, not a great peddler). I'd be looking to buy a next-gen bike if I had the money, but I agree with you that it's a good option for a budget.

Nah Fair call. Maybe the Norco Sight might be a better option. Really f*cking up the model names here.

Posted: Sep 15, 2017 at 11:05 Quote
Meto89 wrote:
Only issues with YT is that they're relatively short. Fits very different from a Transition or a Kona which as much longer, be careful to compare geo numbers that are comparable to what you enjoy to ride.

That was the issue with the Bronson I had it felt like an extra medium. YT carbon frames do go for next to nothing compared to everything else out there. If I want support from a dealer it usually comes down where they can lend you a bike if it's a warranty issue. I wrench so serviceing or replacing parts is not an issue.

Does anyone know if the Jeffsy has progressive kinematics?

As for the Process, It's another I would have to read more up on.

I guess having a 29" 5010 type handling bike is to much to ask for or are those right on the money?

Posted: Sep 15, 2017 at 16:55 Quote
Rzamvilla wrote:
Meto89 wrote:

That was the issue with the Bronson I had it felt like an extra medium. YT carbon frames do go for next to nothing compared to everything else out there. If I want support from a dealer it usually comes down where they can lend you a bike if it's a warranty issue. I wrench so serviceing or replacing parts is not an issue.

Does anyone know if the Jeffsy has progressive kinematics?

As for the Process, It's another I would have to read more up on.

I guess having a 29" 5010 type handling bike is to much to ask for or are those right on the money?

Jeffsy has some of the most progressive kinematics you'll find in a trail/AM bike actually.

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2017 at 10:44 Quote
The v1 and v1.5 Smugglers are quite linear, and the manufacturer advises against using a coil shock. With the stock number of spacers in the OE shock, most folks will be using full travel. In spite of this, I've found that it's quite easy to launch the Smuggler, at least compared to my more progressive Giant Trance before it. I like the Smuggler because nothing breaks, with the exception that the v1 and v1.5 had total shit bearings. It sounds like the new Transitions are getting Enudromax, so bearing life shouldn't be an issue.

Posted: Sep 17, 2017 at 13:43 Quote
I'd whole heartedly recommend the Guerrilla Gravity trail pistol. It's one of those chameleon bikes that can pedal well around mild terrain, but totally rips when you point downhill. The customer service is top notch (any question I have had I've called one of the owners for feedback). They also have great support for owners and prices are super fair for a USA handmade frame.

Posted: Oct 10, 2017 at 17:23 Quote
Sounds like the smuggler is the just what you're looking for.

I sold my v2 bronson and got the outgoing model of the smuggler on sale about a mont ago. my second ride on the bike was an enduro race that i did the previous year on my bronson. i took 2 minutes off my climb and 1 minute off my descent, and i think i was in better shape last year. so, yeah, i think in most scenarios its better - thats the short answer.

long answer, I've heard rumors that a carbon smuggler is coming out this winter. i would be inclined to wait for that. as awesome as the smuggler is, i think there are other 29er trail bikes that would also fit the bill, but i haven't ridden them and can't speak to them. the stock aluminum smuggler climbs better than a carbon bronson with carbon wheels. period. it just does (in my opinion). it seems to descend better on any pedally descent. its easier to ride for long days. it can handle some seriously technical terrain. I've ridden down double blacks at bike parks. the rear shock ramps up really hard and thats how it can do what it does with only 115mm of travel in the back. the side effect of that is that it doesn't feel all that plush, but it does absorb hard hits and allow you to plow through stuff. i would probably give the bronson the nod on riding rough terrain at very high speed, but only a slight nod and where i live (colorado) there aren't too many places where the smuggler feels under-biked. its way more often that i felt over-biked on the bronson.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012413
Mobile Version of Website