Powered by Outside

Switching 66RC2x to FOX36

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Switching 66RC2x to FOX36
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 6:36 Quote
Hi everyone:
I want to change my perfectly working 2006 66 RC2x 170mm to FOX 36 Van RC2 or RS Lyrik U Turn. I would like to ask a simple question:

WILL I REGRET IT? or HOW MUCH WILL I REGRET IT?

or perhaps I should get 66 ATA or 2006 66SL?

I have a 2007 SC Nomad in a freerid-erish setup but i want to change it to more of a allmountain bike. Apart from changing to lighter wheels, cranks, bars etc. I just want a LIGHTER FORK, perhaps a travel adjustment, BUT! I do not want to loose much of the Freeride/Dh performance of the fork. I don't do any of "north shore" kind of riding. I just like singletracks and sometimes not too tough DH courses.

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 6:41 Quote
08 fox 36 talas, cant fault em mebbe bit expensive but 08 is the best fox ever

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 6:42 Quote
szfetbb wrote:
Hi everyone:
I want to change my perfectly working 2006 66 RC2x 170mm to FOX 36 Van RC2 or RS Lyrik U Turn. I would like to ask a simple question:

I have a 2007 SC Nomad in a freerid-erish setup but i want to change it to more of a allmountain bike. Apart from changing to lighter wheels, cranks, bars etc. I just want a LIGHTER FORK, perhaps a travel adjustment, BUT! I do not want to loose much of the Freeride/Dh performance of the fork. I don't do any of "north shore" kind of riding. I just like singletracks and sometimes not too tough DH courses.

no you wont regret it rock shoks and fox are both good makes and do grate work

get fox 36 vanilla

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 6:47 Quote
szfetbb wrote:
Hi everyone:

Hi,

I did the same thing last year, that you are planning to do.
I can only suggest it.
I have been using a 66RC2X '06 made.
I replaced it with a '08 RC2 Van.
The front became lighter with ~600g!
And I like the way fox performs much better. It is more linear out of the box, but can be settled anyway you want it.
I found it even more rigid, as the brake performed much better than on the 66.
Personally I don't feel the need for travel setting. I use it in an SXTrail.
But if you don't do much DH, than go with the Talas which is better all-around.

I would don't suggest the 66 ATA line as there are lot of issues with travel wind down and air leak. My friend just bought one and he has air leak. ('07 model)

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 7:09 Quote
Well, good to hear that. What I just love about Marzocchi 66 is how it is progressive and how it is really damping hits. When U jump with it or just hit something U feel that the fork swallows so much of the energy. Previously I had manitou Nixon and it did not damp anything... it just went down. I wasn't bottoming out too much but it was.. just diving in the travel. I dunno how to explain it.

I just read some reviews on mtbr, and lots of ppl say Fox 36 is very linear. How is it with Talas? as air is even more linear than spring.

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 7:14 Quote
talas is godly, the progression and feel of the fork can be adjusted to your weight perfectly how you like it, its good on whatever travel you have it - if you can afford the extra over the van , and travel between riding places then the travel adjust is amazing - wouldnt go below and 08 though

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 7:15 Quote
szfetbb wrote:
Well, good to hear that. What I just love about Marzocchi 66 is how it is progressive and how it is really damping hits. When U jump with it or just hit something U feel that the fork swallows so much of the energy. Previously I had manitou Nixon and it did not damp anything... it just went down. I wasn't bottoming out too much but it was.. just diving in the travel. I dunno how to explain it.

I just read some reviews on mtbr, and lots of ppl say Fox 36 is very linear. How is it with Talas? as air is even more linear than spring.

get a fox or rock shoks there much better then marzzochi forks

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 7:17 Quote
would totally recommend the talas its so adjustable nicest fork i own

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 7:19 Quote
darleydirtbiker wrote:
szfetbb wrote:

get a fox or rock shoks there much better then marzzochi forks
^^^ what he said tup

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 7:20 Quote
Please lets just avoid talking which forks are better...MZ or RS or FOX... I do not care... really Wink Talas 08 looks convenient, travel adjust is a good thing when uphilling for an hour and your back is about to crack... can U adjust highspeed compressin well on it?

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 7:26 Quote
the high speed compression on the totem is adjustable while riding,so i would imagine it would be the same on the lyrik.

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 7:42 Quote
I have both forks a 07 66rc2x on my RM switch and a 06 fox 36 talas on my preston. My personal opinion is that the rc2x is far superior as far as the quality and feel of the travel. Of all of the suspension products i have tried i swear by the rc2x. However if you goal is to create an all mountain type ride then the lighter fox is probably the better choice. I think that the answer to your question is dependant on the type of all mountain riding that you do. If you are riding singletrack and not hitting really rough terrain or drops than i would also lean toward the fox.

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 8:01 Quote
szfetbb wrote:
Please lets just avoid talking which forks are better...MZ or RS or FOX... I do not care... really Wink Talas 08 looks convenient, travel adjust is a good thing when uphilling for an hour and your back is about to crack... can U adjust highspeed compressin well on it?

If you get the RC2 model instead of the R model then you will have high and low speed compression and rebound, where the R model is just rebound. Go figure. The compression works very well too. Once you get the preload where you like, adjusting the compression can make it anywhere from completely linear to very progressive through the travel. I wouldn't trade my Fox forks for anything.

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 8:37 Quote
nlitworld wrote:
szfetbb wrote:

If you get the RC2 model instead of the R model then you will have high and low speed compression and rebound, where the R model is just rebound. Go figure. The compression works very well too. Once you get the preload where you like, adjusting the compression can make it anywhere from completely linear to very progressive through the travel. I wouldn't trade my Fox forks for anything.

im pretty sure the R model comes with rebound AND compression, it just dosent come with the high and low speed compression

Posted: Sep 4, 2008 at 8:41 Quote
nope just rebound, travel adjust and air pressure adjust

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.181728
Mobile Version of Website