Powered by Outside

Fox 180mm Single Crown

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Fox 180mm Single Crown
Posted: Nov 13, 2009 at 18:05 Quote
Is it just me or should Fox definately make a 7 inch travel, single crown freeride fork?

Posted: Nov 13, 2009 at 18:28 Quote
Yes. I want an alternative to a Totem and right now there really isn't one.

Posted: Nov 13, 2009 at 18:38 Quote
And apparently the marzo 66 is nice but breaks down a lot.

Posted: Nov 13, 2009 at 18:38 Quote
tinfoil wrote:
Yes. I want an alternative to a Totem and right now there really isn't one.

yes there are a couple optionsd... firstly there is the Marzo 66. Another option would be to get a triple crown (i.e. fox 40 or boxxers) and lower them to 7"

Posted: Nov 13, 2009 at 18:47 Quote
Pretty sure they want the single crown for bar spins and X-ups. Personally, if you need more than 6.2 inches for a jump/drop (the 36), I would NOT do it on a single crown.

Posted: Nov 13, 2009 at 20:43 Quote
My problem with the Marzos is that they seem more than happy to break at really inopportune times. Give me travel with Fox reliability dammit. I mean I don't need 7 inches for what I'm personally doing but I may one day soonish. My first choice for suspension being Fox, I kind of wonder why they wouldn't want to compete with the Totems and 66's of the world.

Posted: Nov 13, 2009 at 20:50 Quote
I'm pretty sure I heard some rumors floating around about a fox 7" freeride fork. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Posted: Nov 13, 2009 at 21:05 Quote
I will be waiting. Apparently they didn't want to because of stiffness issues, but really, no 7 inch SC is going to be as solid as a double crown so they should just make one.

Posted: Nov 13, 2009 at 21:24 Quote
why do you need .7 inches more travel? Upgrade to stiffer springs. Is it really logical to redesign a best selling SC, because all of the sudden we want 20mm more travel? Not from fox's stand point. I used to be just like you guys are, wanting them to make it bigger, but I don't trust SCs anymore, I've broken three with 170mm or more, but I have never hurt my pikes, and I have gone just as big as I did with 180mm 66s.

Bottom line, if your going so big, or your too sloppy, that you need more than 6.5 inches in the front, you really shouldn't be relying on a single crown to carry you through. Look at berrecloth, he hucks HUGE on a 36.

I say drop the 36, make it a 38, or 40mm stanchions, and leave the travel where it is, you will have the worlds beefiest SC!

Posted: Nov 13, 2009 at 22:07 Quote
More travel = use lower spring rates = better suspension feel = better ride.

It's simple as that.

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 at 4:59 Quote
as issue I had with my Totem was the lack of long-term durability of the crown / steerer

after serious abuse over some months, the crown / steerer starts crackling / creaking under heavy landings and hard braking

basically, there is so much leverage on the crown, that the steerer starts to enlarge the crown (its effectively working loose)

a big single crown fork with 180mm of travel encourages the same riding abuse you would give a dual crown like a Fox 40 or 888!!

the CSU (crown / steerer / uppers) for a Totem is not cheap...Rockshox have a 2 year warranty and will replace the CSU during this period, but after 2 years you are on your own if this issue develops again

I've seen this happen with a number of long travel single crown forks including my Totem, customers Totems in both 1.125" and 1.5" steerer sizes, and even the "old" Marzocchi 66 forks in both 1.125" and 1.5" steerer sizes

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 at 12:27 Quote
Will are you sure it wasn't the frame that caused the fork to snap? If you have more travel in the back of the bike and it is softer than the front which it probably is, the rear suspension compresses faster than the front to the point where it makes the head angle slacker and slacker, putting a ton of stress on the crown/steerer area.

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 at 12:53 Quote
Yeah, I'm sure. The frame was not de-raked at all, and I had the suspension matched perfectly. I was going to big for a single crown, thats what marzocch said too.

Posted: Nov 14, 2009 at 13:04 Quote
How much travel in front and out back?

180/240?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010243
Mobile Version of Website