Powered by Outside

29'er info & discussion.

PB Forum :: 29ers
29'er info & discussion.
O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2015 at 15:35 Quote
I'd like to see the BB height and HTA of a Instigator with 29x2.3s with a 80mm 29er fork.

O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2015 at 16:02 Quote
80mm fork? Screw that, it comes with a 150 27.5" stock. I'll be ordering a 140mm trace soon that Im planning on trying out and can get you some measurements.

Posted: Sep 10, 2015 at 17:55 Quote
WaterMonkee wrote:
So I'm finally getting off my high horse (i.e. a 29er hardtail) and have started looking for a 29er full suspension to take its place; These are more or less the characteristics I'm looking for:

Frame weight ~6 lbs, totally fine with carbon
HT angle ~68
Rear travel 100-120mm
Fork 120-130mm
Rear hub spacing 142*12mm
At least 1 bottle mount.

Up until now I have come across three bikes that fit (in order of preference):
1) Evil The Following
2) Rocky Mountain Instinct SL
3) Specialized Camber

Can anyone recommend anything else? Thanks!
I really liked the Rocky I rode, it was the Element. I'd bet the Instinct is really nice too, but I'm a little apprehensive about their press fit BB. I didn't have any problems with mine but still, I've heard stories.

The new Camber is also supposed to be an amazing bike.

Posted: Sep 16, 2015 at 8:21 Quote
maxlombardy wrote:
WaterMonkee wrote:
So I'm finally getting off my high horse (i.e. a 29er hardtail) and have started looking for a 29er full suspension to take its place; These are more or less the characteristics I'm looking for:

HT angle ~68
Rear travel 100-120mm
Fork 120-130mm
At least 1 bottle mount.

1) Evil The Following
3) Specialized Camber

I really liked the Rocky I rode, it was the Element. I'd bet the Instinct is really nice too, but I'm a little apprehensive about their press fit BB. I didn't have any problems with mine but still, I've heard stories.

The new Camber is also supposed to be an amazing bike.
I would get either the following or the camber.

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2015 at 5:17 Quote
WaterMonkee wrote:

HT angle ~68
Rear travel 100-120mm
Fork 120-130mm
At least 1 bottle mount.

1) Evil The Following
3) Specialized Camber

I am in same boat, was considering Smuggler, Process 111.

The good dudes at my LBS were telling me to consider Trek Remedy. 140 front/rear but pedals like 120 with that Penske shock.

What say you fine folk?

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2015 at 16:00 Quote
The Phantom is a pretty versatile bike, but not quite as short chainstays as the Following, Smuggler or Process 111. If I needed short chainstays and I couldn't swing it for a following, I'd go for the Smuggler.

Posted: Sep 18, 2015 at 13:27 Quote
Just picked this up. It's insanely fast. Almost as fun as my 650b full sussy Wink
photo

Posted: Sep 21, 2015 at 23:04 Quote
GravityCandy wrote:
Just picked this up. It's insanely fast. Almost as fun as my 650b full sussy Wink
photo

Love it, and the stealthy look really suits the thin tubing. I think everyone should have a rigid big wheeler in the shed for ripping some xc trails once in a while. Very nice sir

Posted: Oct 28, 2015 at 10:22 Quote
Hey everyone in here... question (s)

I am mainly a roadie... don't hate me for it... however....

I got back into getting on a mountain bike after a few years and have mainly ridden 26ers and had single speed and geared on them. Now what I have done is gone to a 29er because of fit. It has always been hard to find a 26er that fit because I am 6 foot 4.

I gotta say I love the feel and it seems like I cannot stay out of the big ring while on the rail trails. However one thing I am finding is the handling when I get into some single track it seems to have a ton of under steer when cornering and I havee adjusted air pressure trying to find the sweet spot there but still not what I am looking for. I know a 26er will handle nice and tight, just wondering if there is anything I can adjust.

I'm riding a KHS rigid hard tail with x7 and a lower end air shock in the front

anyone else find the difference when they switched wheel sizes?

Any help is appreciated

Posted: Oct 28, 2015 at 10:57 Quote
I'd say. Try experimenting with stem length an bar width

Posted: Oct 28, 2015 at 11:53 Quote
Short and wide!

Posted: Oct 28, 2015 at 13:05 Quote
+1 for short stem wide bars. Also since you only have experience with 26 and road bikes a 29 will take getting used to since it take more umph to get it over and cornering right.

Posted: Oct 28, 2015 at 15:35 Quote
Thanks for the advice... I will try a few things. ... much appreciated

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2015 at 16:23 Quote
Don't know if you really want a custom fork but a good read. http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gear/article/pushing-the-limits-of-fork-offset-an-experiment-45343/

Posted: Nov 9, 2015 at 18:39 Quote
Snowed here today but that didn't stop me haha.
First snowy ride of the year.
(Sorry for the nasty mobile pic)

Only downside to the ride today was traction. Any tire recommendations? Looking for something that can handle mud and maybe ice. Also on another note, riding this on the local trails has improved my riding on my other bike a lot. I've noticed I've been setting way better times and riding better overall.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015900
Mobile Version of Website