Powered by Outside

Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
Posted: Feb 11, 2024 at 19:33 Quote
Hopefully this is a decent place to post this

Looking at booking a weekend at silverstar perhaps early July. Probably will buy a 3 day pass and end up sticking to the hill during that time but any local wisdom always appreciated.

Any info surrounding the season, wildlife, accommodations etc. appreciated!

How’s the nightlife up in the village?

Thanks
In advance

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2024 at 6:28 Quote
L8N8 wrote:
Hopefully this is a decent place to post this

Looking at booking a weekend at silverstar perhaps early July. Probably will buy a 3 day pass and end up sticking to the hill during that time but any local wisdom always appreciated.

Any info surrounding the season, wildlife, accommodations etc. appreciated!

How’s the nightlife up in the village?

Thanks
In advance

I think in Early July you should be relatively safe from fires, but it's a bit of a wildcard with the El Nino doing its thing. That said, there's talk of it fading in spring, which could result in a la nina effect coming through which would be awesome for the bike park. If I was to book at SS it would be in early July as the conditions are best.

Nightlife up in the village is kinda non-existent. Wednesdays and Fridays are extended hours so people will be on the patios etc. until 7ish or later. Probably some people in the camp areas bumbling around, but it's not gonna be like whistler or anything, haha. Pretty sleepy. But maybe someone has a totally different experience?

There are some fun trails just 5min down the road at Soveriegn. Pedally, but not a big climb. some slabs etc. and a totally different vibe than riding at SS. Worth checking it out. Rock is the new berm is worth lapping as well as Hammered Cow if you want bigger steeper lines (double black).

Posted: Feb 13, 2024 at 9:02 Quote
Seconding Jesse's thoughts on timing; July is definitely your best bet.

Regarding the actual village, we had friends that stayed there last summer from the coast and weren't very happy with the experience. Basically, once the lifts closed the village becomes a ghost town. If you do stay in SS proper, make sure that whatever you book has a hot tub or something to keep you entertained post ride.

Otherwise, Vernon is like a 25 minute drive in the summer with some affordable hotels, and ending the day at Kal lake is never a bad idea. Night life isn't exactly "good" in our town, but it will be more lively than the village, and your bar tab will be cheaper as well.

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2024 at 9:11 Quote
Walking to the end of Rattlesnake point and jumping off a cliff is pretty fun, or hike further to Cosens Bay for a great and secluded beach.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/canada/british-columbia/rattlesnake-point-trail

Posted: Mar 1, 2024 at 18:53 Quote
Any reports on conditions at Ellison? I live in Lake Country and we have some decently dry sections right now. Itching to pedal this weekend was thinking trails might be similar at Ellison. Cheers.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2024 at 7:15 Quote
meagrem wrote:
Any reports on conditions at Ellison? I live in Lake Country and we have some decently dry sections right now. Itching to pedal this weekend was thinking trails might be similar at Ellison. Cheers.

I ran into a guy with a rack of freshly muddied bikes on his truck who was waiting on his buds at the liquor store. I went up and asked him and he told me Ellison, especially the lower half, was good to go.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2024 at 9:57 Quote
Yesterday was muddy everywhere. Not sure where that guy went?
The last cold spell & bit of snow changed things for the worst.
Tread carefully.

Posted: Mar 2, 2024 at 11:07 Quote
johnovey wrote:
Tread carefully.

Duly noted. Yep, not out to cause any muddy damage just wanting a nice XC loop. Might stay here in lake country - we’ve got some nice sandy single track that’s running pretty good - tho most of it burned pretty good last year! Avoid the holes and stay out when windy haha.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2024 at 11:09 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
meagrem wrote:

I ran into a guy with a rack of freshly muddied bikes on his truck who was waiting on his buds at the liquor store. I went up and asked him and he told me Ellison, especially the lower half, was good to go.

I seen that same truck(probably) and was wondering where he rode.

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2024 at 6:29 Quote
It’s really good if u have a fat bike set up with mountain bike geo with a fork.
Go earlier when it’s cold.
Love mine.

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2024 at 16:48 Quote
meagrem wrote:
johnovey wrote:
Tread carefully.

Duly noted. Yep, not out to cause any muddy damage just wanting a nice XC loop. Might stay here in lake country - we’ve got some nice sandy single track that’s running pretty good - tho most of it burned pretty good last year! Avoid the holes and stay out when windy haha.

I walked through some of the burnt trails above Lakestone last week and it was pretty mucky & slick. Someone had been through on a bike and put some deep ruts in, which I tried to fix & fill on the way back down. Most of the trails in LC seem to be in similar shape.

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2024 at 13:13 Quote
Isn’t Knox, not Ellison, the the first place in the area to be rideable?

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2024 at 13:24 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
Isn’t Knox, not Ellison, the the first place in the area to be rideable?

I've been seeing posts of riders on Knox all winter.

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2024 at 13:37 Quote
Knox has been pretty good on and off all winter. It dries out really quickly in most areas.

Posted: Mar 8, 2024 at 23:34 Quote
Thanks for the info Sheldon and Jesse. I

It’s looking like we are actually gonna head to sunpeaks late June. … hopefully that will be doable.

Probably hitting Silverstar sept long!

We will have a crew of 5 and a hot tub whereever we stay so worst case making our own party isn’t a problem. Ha.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020549
Mobile Version of Website