Official Vernon Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Vernon Riders Thread
Posted: Apr 3, 2024 at 18:39 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
L8N8 wrote:
Hi Vernon,

Back with a few more questions for ya. Shop related this time

I know to take answers with a grain for sure, that said I appreciate any thoughts on great shops to deal with, best place to find quality techs, what shops are geared more towards MTB, have high end components, possibly a good option for bike rentals and any other thoughts.

I have a local Vernon friend who is looking to get geared up and get riding with us.

Thanks!

That's complicated! haha. I feel like Skyride is the default for gravity folks and they only sell MTB, vs the others which sell more of a range. One thing I'll say about them is they seem to be able to service DVO stuff, which not all shops can, so if that's relevant. I think you can find good service and stuff at all 3, though (aside from DVO).

Fair enough! Appreciate that?

If a person was in town kicking tires on new trail or Enduro bikes any recommendations where to shop?

My fav store here has the least amount of stock but some of the most tempting offerings! Then the big guys right now are LOADED with a lot of great options.

O+
Posted: Apr 4, 2024 at 8:48 Quote
You're probably best to reach out to each store to be honest. Probably not ideal to buy a bike somewhere you don't live, haha. All the shops will have good stuff. Sun Country has some sweet deals on Treks...
L8N8 wrote:
L8N8 wrote:
Hi Vernon,

Back with a few more questions for ya. Shop related this time

I know to take answers with a grain for sure, that said I appreciate any thoughts on great shops to deal with, best place to find quality techs, what shops are geared more towards MTB, have high end components, possibly a good option for bike rentals and any other thoughts.

I have a local Vernon friend who is looking to get geared up and get riding with us.

Thanks!

That's complicated! haha. I feel like Skyride is the default for gravity folks and they only sell MTB, vs the others which sell more of a range. One thing I'll say about them is they seem to be able to service DVO stuff, which not all shops can, so if that's relevant. I think you can find good service and stuff at all 3, though (aside from DVO).

If a person was in town kicking tires on new trail or Enduro bikes any recommendations where to shop?

My fav store here has the least amount of stock but some of the most tempting offerings! Then the big guys right now are LOADED with a lot of great options.

Posted: Apr 4, 2024 at 8:59 Quote
You're probably best to reach out to each store to be honest. Probably not ideal to buy a bike somewhere you don't live, haha. All the shops will have good stuff. Sun Country has some sweet deals on Treks...
L8N8 wrote:

Indeed. It’s actually for my Vernon bud who’s just looking to get on a bike.

I’ll head there in a few weeks and cruise around town with him but it’s helpful to have any little lay of the land as I won’t have much time passing thru.

I just wanna get him kickin tires at least as to make a more educated purchase then I did with my first bike.

Probably a safe assumption that you’d want a good climber around there?

I imagine you’ve got all the terrain one could hope for, flow and tech?

O+
Posted: Apr 4, 2024 at 13:31 Quote
Lots of long seated chunky ups to chunky downs. 150/140 minimum if you ask me. Not a tonne of smooth flow if you ask me.

Posted: Apr 12, 2024 at 14:34 Quote
Anyone know what government agency decided to redo the lot at the start of Kal? I'd love to fire a letter their way.

Scratching my head as to how they could spend all that money and time, and somehow we end up with significantly less parking spaces?

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2024 at 15:06 Quote
sheldonuvic wrote:
Anyone know what government agency decided to redo the lot at the start of Kal? I'd love to fire a letter their way.

Scratching my head as to how they could spend all that money and time, and somehow we end up with significantly less parking spaces?

I think it's technically more, but you'd never know it. Plus that cool in an out is a game changer. I'd rather they just spent more on grading the road, ha

Posted: Apr 15, 2024 at 9:47 Quote
So I checked out Skyride, Olympia and sun country this weekend setting my homie up with some support as he did some shopping.

A quick take away from my experience at these shops for anyone curious.
In order of how our day progressed.

Skyride: great service, great stock on items that would be relevant to me. Staff was very helpful (Chris helped us primarily) and if looking for a trail or enduro had some solid prices on some good bikes.

Olympia: very much the same review as Skyride except they are obviously a bigger shop with more selection. Staff was great (Nick helped us primarily). They had the winning deal on a killer bike.

Sun country: some nice bikes. Myself riding a Pivot I was a bit drawn to the selection but ultimately have no desire to go back here. The staff and service did themselves no justice. They definitely were not interested in selling a bike. Customer service was a big flop and I don’t believe the place will see any of my dollars.

There it is.
My bro now has a bike and I can’t wait to get back there and do some exploring.

Posted: Apr 17, 2024 at 15:24 Quote
L8N8 wrote:
So I checked out Skyride, Olympia and sun country this weekend setting my homie up with some support as he did some shopping.

A quick take away from my experience at these shops for anyone curious.
In order of how our day progressed.

Skyride: great service, great stock on items that would be relevant to me. Staff was very helpful (Chris helped us primarily) and if looking for a trail or enduro had some solid prices on some good bikes.

Olympia: very much the same review as Skyride except they are obviously a bigger shop with more selection. Staff was great (Nick helped us primarily). They had the winning deal on a killer bike.

Sun country: some nice bikes. Myself riding a Pivot I was a bit drawn to the selection but ultimately have no desire to go back here. The staff and service did themselves no justice. They definitely were not interested in selling a bike. Customer service was a big flop and I don’t believe the place will see any of my dollars.

There it is.
My bro now has a bike and I can’t wait to get back there and do some exploring.

Skyride had a small rental shop/ repair shop at big white for a bit back when biggie just opened the bike park it was in a pub, anyways my foot had slipped of my pedal I landed on my seat and mangled the dropper post bolts i pretty muxh didnt have a seat! no one up there had anything. The guy running the shop sold me what I needed off one of the rental bikes so I could keep riding.
I was pretty stoked

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2024 at 5:49 Quote
sheldonuvic wrote:

BCParks is responsible. As annoying as it is, (yes I do agree it’s smaller) they had no other options. They tried to acquire some land adjacent and were denied by the ALC, they also tried to move the lot and were denied by the concerned citizens who didn’t want a bigger lot in the grassland.

Posted: Apr 21, 2024 at 7:33 Quote
I don’t understand why they didn’t leave it as is?

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2024 at 22:05 Quote
Short notice but does anyone know how the snow situation is at Kal lake? I am in N Kelowna this weekend visiting from the coast, and I have a few hours tomorrow morning. Got an E-Bike with me and I'm wondering if I could do a lap of Big Ed if I get up early

O+
Posted: Apr 27, 2024 at 7:23 Quote
2 weeks ago I made it as high as Be Kind and there were 2 snowy spots. Gotta think you could make it a decent ways higher now, but down trees might be your bigger issue.

O+
Posted: Apr 27, 2024 at 15:42 Quote
What's up with a gondola being zoned in kal park?

O+
Posted: Apr 27, 2024 at 15:46 Quote
No gondola in Kal Park, on the other side of the lake going up the hill towards Predator Ridge.

O+
Posted: May 2, 2024 at 21:19 Quote
Wood burning skills wanted - in memory of XB

We are looking for a member of the community with wood burning skills and equipment to create a dedication to XB. I have a plank from above the last feature XB worked on and we would like to inscribe something in his honour. Pm me if interested.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013312
Mobile Version of Website