Powered by Outside

You know you work in a bikeshop when...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
You know you work in a bikeshop when...
Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 14:09 Quote
It's sort of devastating that customers and bike shop employees find different things cool.

Keep eyeing up middleburn cranks and I have to remind myself that I only like them because they're not 105. lol

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 15:48 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
It's sort of devastating that customers and bike shop employees find different things cool.

Keep eyeing up middleburn cranks and I have to remind myself that I only like them because they're not 105. lol

I looked them up... Honestly the shape looks like it's from the 95 era, not the 2020 era. Like it might have been cool once, that time has passed.

I did a quick browse of CRC though and there's really not much good looking these days, like maybe the Campy Ekar 1x, but that's it's own niche thing that most people would never use. I guess they would be cool as something different vs the typical Shimano/SRAM look (although you can always get one of those spider chainrings for a 1x crankset for a gravel bike or something I guess (not that I can find an example right now though)).

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 8:26 Quote
I just want some modernized cook bros cranks haha

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 10:25 Quote
watch123 wrote:
mini-freerider wrote:

I looked them up... Honestly the shape looks like it's from the 95 era, not the 2020 era. Like it might have been cool once, that time has passed.

It is! They look lovely on a nice surly build or something of that ilk.

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 12:16 Quote
watch123 wrote:
mini-freerider wrote:

They are from the 95(ish) era and they basically haven't changed shape since. Thats why they're cool lol
Probably a bit bendy by modern standards, but thats always the way with stuff that was the best 20 years ago. I'd still run a set on a trail bike or something though just cos theyre cool.

Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 15:26 Quote
How are we all enjoying the massive shortages?

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2022 at 9:21 Quote
Loving all these people asking “why don’t you just order more stuff?” and people that are surprised when I tell them there’s still supply issues. Also servicing that’s really backed up and people say “oh I’m fine leaving my bike for a bit” and then getting mad that “a bit” means like 3 weeks when they were expecting like 3 days

Posted: Apr 9, 2022 at 9:27 Quote
Yeah, when I worked at a shop I'd always tell people to bring their bike in in the fall/winter to get serviced. It's way quieter in November, and you probably won't care if it takes 3 days or 3 weeks then!

Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 7:22 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
Also servicing that’s really backed up and people say “oh I’m fine leaving my bike for a bit” and then getting mad that “a bit” means like 3 weeks when they were expecting like 3 days

So relatable, I stop them right away when they say "don't worry, I'm not in a hurry" and proceed to ask "define not in a hurry, because in my book, I could mean a month."!

On a side note, I've found the comment sections of the recent two articles about being able to fix stuff on your own bike and Spesh DTC model to be pretty eloquent about some people's perception of the LBS.

This somewhat raises some questions regarding the future of LBS and their employees as a business model.
Being able to navigate through supply issues, overwork due to the current situation, QC issues of the products you receive, customer deadlines etc. is as you all know a daily challenge.

But when it comes to elitism, it sure exists and is a real issue, however it is only one side of the coin. As such, the childish and sometimes downright disgusting behaviours of some customers is also very real. Not that it excuses bad practices from the LBS staff in any way but still I think worth mentioning.

On a final note, the hunt for low prices means only one thing in the end: poorly trained staff, bad overall service, etc. Expertise comes at a price and sentences I'm sure many of you have heard such as "c'mon it's just a bike" or "yeah but it's just a 5min job" speak volumes about some customer's attitude. Those I'm sure you won't find in a car repair shop.

But hey, the customer is always right!

Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 8:26 Quote
Barkit wrote:
But when it comes to elitism, it sure exists and is a real issue, however it is only one side of the coin. As such, the childish and sometimes dowright disgusting behaviours of some customers is also very real. Not that it excuses bad practices from the LBS staff in any way but still I think worth mentioning.

Yeah, I decided not to risk falling into a flame war, but I wanted to say to many of those commenters on those articles, "if everybody you encounter is an a*shole, probably you're actually the a*shole".

Yeah, snobby or rude LBS employees do exist. But if every employee you encounter is rude, maybe you're the common element here. Karens never understand or admit that they're Karens.

Posted: Feb 4, 2023 at 12:39 Quote
Dead thread Frown

We had a stormer today, i'm still angry about it.

Customer agreed to a quote yesterday, quite a big job. Main bit of it was pivot bearings.

He agrees, we have the bike in bits from the inspection so we begin immediately.

He calls this morning and say his wife has said no, that it's too expensive. Which is honestly completely fair enough with me. I understand.

Until I explain that we'll stop and start putting things back together, but he is due for what we've done so far. At which point he flies off the rails and tells me that he's not paying a penny, and if we want paid we'll just have to take him to small claims court.

He comes to collect the bikes, and instead of coming in himself, sends his daughter in.

Honestly, I'm growing immune to c*nty customers at this point. All in a days work.

Posted: Feb 4, 2023 at 13:26 Quote
Yea f*ck that mate, that sucks.

Sorry man, hope you gave it back to him in box full of pieces

Posted: Feb 4, 2023 at 13:44 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
Yea f*ck that mate, that sucks.

Sorry man, hope you gave it back to him in box full of pieces

Mentioned that on the phone:
"to clarify- do you want this rebuilt, that will cost more money."

Made him even angrier.

On the bright side, he mentioned: "I'll tell all my friends"

We're a super sociable shop, I'd be willing to bet our reach is substantially larger than his haha.

Posted: Feb 4, 2023 at 14:43 Quote
My two:

"The bike is not legally ready for collection until the invoice is paid. You may go to small claims court to have a judge grant you access to the shop, but as of this discussion, you are not welcome on the property, and will be fined and trespassed if you arrive."

And to the friends thing;

"Thank god, any friend of yours is no friend of mine."

Posted: Feb 4, 2023 at 14:50 Quote
sherbet wrote:
"The bike is not legally ready for collection until the invoice is paid. You may go to small claims court to have a judge grant you access to the shop, but as of this discussion, you are not welcome on the property, and will be fined and trespassed if you arrive."

See I don't quite know how this is in Scotland, access is a little less of a common conversation piece.

If you're right though, that's absolutely spot on.

His daughter ended up paying it and asked me not to tell him if he called. Bloody embarrassing. I hope one day he's a full on grown up.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026755
Mobile Version of Website